• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My package from the Cobbler is supposed to be delivered today. I’m really excited to see my restored GH!

I also had Wyatt and Dad do a small stitching repair on a pair of 1959 or 1960 Florsheim MTO Shark. They replaced the heels with JR dovetail heels and conditioned and polished them too.

Sadly, they also returned a pair of 93605 that are too far gone to justify repair.

I can't wait to see the results.

I always respect when a repair craftmaster tells me something is not worth repairing. It's the mark of integrity.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, and on top of that, there’s no reason to believe private companies would do a better job. I recently bought a pair from David who promptly dispatched them through FedEx. They reached Columbus (the destination city) in one day. Instead of then arriving at my door, they spent the next nine days traveling through Indianapolis and Memphis, before arriving back in Columbus.
Did you just flex?
White LWBs might be special orders, but @Bon Vivant Life recently found a pair as well... so they are out there.
Ah yes, but I fear I could not pull it off. Besides, I do not have a white belt.
A wise gentleman once asked “what’s cooler than being cool?” I believe his answer was: “Ice cold.”
Even as cool as I think I am, I don’t think many reach “ice cold” level @Oshare possess. I can only hide my jealousy for so long.
@Quantum17 @smfdoc @Oshare

count me in the "not cool enough" camp as well. misery loves company.

those white lwbs are awesome though!

If I had those white LWB, I would be flexing! And while I’m probably not cool
Enough for them, I would definitely wear them anyway! Just fake it. Nobody will know.

Consider the fact that all of us are a little odd already — we wear shoes that are 30-50 years old. We know obscure details about a product that only a relatively small group of people care about. Many of our shoes can fly under the radar in a professional work environment because the average person just sees a pair of wingtips like their Dad wore.

Most of the time when I’m wearing some really cool pair, no one will say anything. If they do, then they are probably going to hear a 10 minute lesson on Florsheim or Shell Cordovan (hopefully not in a pedantic way).

Also @Oshare those new funky shoes are GREAT!

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had those white LWB, I would be flexing! And while I’m probably not cool
Enough for them, I would definitely wear them anyway! Just fake it. Nobody will know.

Consider the fact that all of us are a little odd already — we wear shoes that are 30-50 years old. We know obscure details about a product that only a relatively small group of people care about. Many of our shoes can fly under the radar in a professional work environment because the average person just sees a pair of wingtips like their Dad wore.

Most of the time when I’m wearing some really cool pair, no one will say anything. If they do, then they are probably going to hear a 10 minute lesson on Florsheim or Shell Cordovan (hopefully not in a pedantic way).

Also @Oshare those new funky shoes are GREAT!
When I'm at work and in meetings, I cross my legs and swing my foot until someone notices. THEN I launch into a 10-minute monologue about vintage shoes. A few colleagues and friends know about my obsession, and so they are sure to take notice. I'm OK with that.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vacationing in Kalispell, MT
325286E0-7F37-4B1E-9680-D09840345367.jpeg
9DF6837E-829C-4F70-B704-829E5CEB93C4.jpeg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quantum17

Reaction score
Florsheim 93602 today. These were my first vintage shoes and are my sentimental favorites. Original condition when purchased; new soles/heels since. I've worn these A LOT, incredibly comfortable definitely showing signs of wear but holding up as one would expect from such a well made shoe. Date code indicates 1977 or 1987. View attachment 1609177
Heel nail count is one way to identify 70s from 80s. Could you share a photo of the heels & soles?

Leiker

Reaction score
Heel nail count is one way to identify 70s from 80s. Could you share a photo of the heels & soles?
I've had them resoled/new heels. Don't think I have any pictures of the original soles. I recall when I bought them that I thought they were 1977 but not sure about that. I will say that they've been incredibly durable; I've put a lot of miles on them.

Quantum17

Reaction score
True vintage Jarman are incredibly underrated. Their mall shoes images from the 70s probably lend credence to the tale of a company submitted to mass production at the expense of quality. We are well familiar with such tales at this point. Regardless, we occasionally find proofs of greatness from the past when fashion and quality still converged. Presenting 50s brown NST Jarman. Ya man, I think they are cool too. Some features that were standard back then (e.g. sole design) have become high end luxury features today. Maybe that’s the cost of preserving craftsmanship.
D465654A-40E6-495B-A7F4-0A311F67F8A3.jpeg
1A34B0B7-9D20-461A-B5F2-58694A30F20C.jpeg
A64593FE-2EBD-48CF-8494-69AB8097B6B3.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These spectators were a generous gift from @Shoonoob .

A cobbler rebuilt with JR soles, cat paw heels, and toe taps. Additional midsoles give them additional support and comfort.

20210513_170103.jpg
20210513_170059.jpg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone order some of the Rancourt crowdfunding sneakers?

Let me start by saying I hate the fact that lots of companies are turning real dress shoes into sneakers. But, I did get an email about some Rancourt sneakers. They discount the shoes and if enough orders are made they make the shoes. One pair they had are a nice suede and they looked pretty nice. They are not pretending to be dress shoes. They are sneakers.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two new arrivals today, a pair of Hartt Director's Quality cap-toes from the late 60's as well as the pair of John McHale Custom Bombers that I posted some vendor's photos of about 10 days ago. 9F and 9.5E respectively. Wonderful shoes.

IMG_6715.jpg
IMG_6716.jpg
IMG_6719.jpg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads