• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, and on top of that, there’s no reason to believe private companies would do a better job. I recently bought a pair from David who promptly dispatched them through FedEx. They reached Columbus (the destination city) in one day. Instead of then arriving at my door, they spent the next nine days traveling through Indianapolis and Memphis, before arriving back in Columbus.

That is definitely disappointing. I will say that the vaccine delivery has likely dramatically effected the volume of packages and logistics. But, that is definitely not what is supposed to happen.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I have two pairs in the pipeline that USPS has managed to misdirect. One pair I was worried about because it was coming from Canada and needed to clear customs. I was extra worried when tracking informed me it was in the US, but at the infamous Chicago customs/processing center, the one with a bad reputation for holding packages or just plain losing them. It got out of there, but inexplicably now has made its way to Connecticut, heading in the wrong direction. The other pair was supposed to go from North Carolina to me in Vegas, but was last seen at the USPS processing center in San Juan, Puerto Rico, supposedly headed back to the US mainland. GAAAH! We pay taxes for this level of Big Gubmint incompetence! As DEVO put it, "Are you kidding me? You must be kidding me." #Privatize

No. The reason why the performance of postal service sucks is because of political meddling from Republicans and their hand picked Postal board & Postmaster General. There are various reasons why this happened and why it was done. The most nefarious of which is that it offered an edge for politicians who sought to exclude mailed election ballots from the count simply by delaying the arrival of requested & returned ballots. The least nefarious is the perception that the USPS should be privatized to the benefit of existing business interests.

Sabotaging the operational infrastructure and long standing processes of the USPS served both ends. I won't comment on this again besides this post but privatization is not an option. The USPS mandate is to visit every US address daily for mail delivery. This is a public service and of significant importance to many Americans. It is not and never was meant to be a for profit enterprise.

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I spent some time last night working on my 93602s. I bought this pair a long while ago via a friendly tipster on this thread who alerted me to the auction. Suffice it to say that this pair was an absolute steal and I am very glad to have them. I posted them a couple of days ago in the course of the discussion about early vs. later 93602s and 97625s and the various changes over the years. This pair is from the mid 80s (84 iirc). To be honest, I don't think I ever did a full clean up of this pair after I got them but decided to do that yesterday after deciding that they were looking awfully shabby and in need of attention.

They got the full renomat treatment and a health dose of conditioning. I did a little touchup work with some light brown saphir MdO cream. I then used a mix of light brown and medium brown MdO wax polish on the toes and heels (not too much) and swapped in some lighter colored laces to dress this pair down just a little. I'm pretty pleased with the results. The color is much more attractive to my eye now and removing some of the old polish brought back the contrast in the grain while still keeping a vintagey look.

IMG_1614.jpg
IMG_1613.jpg

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

I certainly don't have any insight into the political vagaries of the US Postal System, but after a gift to my nephew in Denver was lost en route from Vancouver, I visited my local post office to complain. I was told that the two worst systems from Vancouver are now the USA and Mexico! She said all other countries have some sort of logic to their systems but not the US and Mexico. However, that's coming from Canada Post who routinely route local letters within Vancouver via Quebec and Newfoundland!

kilowatts

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hi again:

There was some talk earlier about the difficulties of the Shopgoodwill website. Although it is a little cumbersome I must say I've had nothing but good luck with the site and the things I've purchased. Watches, bags and shoes. In fact I can't imagine getting the items I've purchased cheaper elsewhere.

I seem to have fallen down the watch rabbit hole and the leather bag rabbit hole. We're all well into the shoe rabbit hole so I make no mention of that. Several quality vintage watches for low prices. Leather overnight bags for the price of a MacDonald's sandwich. Can't complain. I think used/luxury leather bags are where shoes were ten years ago. Take a look!

kilowatts

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I spent some time last night working on my 93602s. I bought this pair a long while ago via a friendly tipster on this thread who alerted me to the auction. Suffice it to say that this pair was an absolute steal and I am very glad to have them. I posted them a couple of days ago in the course of the discussion about early vs. later 93602s and 97625s and the various changes over the years. This pair is from the mid 80s (84 iirc). To be honest, I don't think I ever did a full clean up of this pair after I got them but decided to do that yesterday after deciding that they were looking awfully shabby and in need of attention.

They got the full renomat treatment and a health dose of conditioning. I did a little touchup work with some light brown saphir MdO cream. I then used a mix of light brown and medium brown MdO wax polish on the toes and heels (not too much) and swapped in some lighter colored laces to dress this pair down just a little. I'm pretty pleased with the results. The color is much more attractive to my eye now and removing some of the old polish brought back the contrast in the grain while still keeping a vintagey look.

View attachment 1608626 View attachment 1608628

Dang, those look terrific. What a sweet pair. Great pick up.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Dang, those look terrific. What a sweet pair. Great pick up.

Thank you, sir! Appreciate the compliment. I've actually had this pair for probably 18 months to be honest with you... Just finally invested some time in properly cleaning them up. They didn't seem all that over polished before but clearly I was wrong about that and I'm really glad I put some time into them yesterday.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A general question about Florsheim LWB colors. I feel like I am missing one of the rare ones. Of course there was black and brown, Golden Harvest and Weathered moss. Was there one other available color back then?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A general question about Florsheim LWB colors. I feel like I am missing one of the rare ones. Of course there was black and brown, Golden Harvest and Weathered moss. Was there one other available color back then?

Moss green ?

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You forgot about Shell! Wasn’t there a couple versions of brown depending on the leather? I’m assuming that burgundy/maroon was offered in calf instead of just Shell.

Also, don’t forget about Forest. It was much more green than weathered Moss.

There was Bourbon and chestnut and the really weird Antique brass

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You forgot about Shell! Wasn’t there a couple versions of brown depending on the leather? I’m assuming that burgundy/maroon was offered in calf instead of just Shell.

Also, don’t forget about Forest. It was much more green than weathered Moss.

There was Bourbon and chestnut and the really weird Antique brass
Antique brass was available as a longwing, though it wasn’t an imperial. Bookbinder bourbon was available as an imperial, and as a non-imperial which applied the color to a textured Leather they called Coventry calf.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found this mystery pair of Florsheim PTBs in shell. The numbers don't coordinate with any list. Maybe a custom made pair? @davidVC had them on his list. But I was the only bidder.

E-thrifted from Goodwill online. The soles were in horrendous shape, as the leather had started rotting.

They were originally burgundy but dyed black. Brian Gavigan dyed them chocolate brown. Rebuilt with house leather soles, sole protectors, and rubber heels. Later, Pablo Hadarits added grommets when my anxiety about tearing in the eyelets got the best of me.

20210512_165628.jpg
20210512_165623.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads