• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snazzy. When you say cobbler rebuilt them, what did they do? Got any before and after shots? I love rebuilds and restorations.

For good measure, since today is all about moc toe Bluchers, here’s me wearing the Seneca’s (AKA Brentwood’s) from earlier:
wLpRiCy.jpg

These were trashed when I bought them. They had half soles already. The ribbing was destroyed.

A cobbler replaced the ribbing, midsoles, and welt. JR soles, toe taps, and cat paw heels.

FB_IMG_1620687894226.jpg
FB_IMG_1620687899305.jpg
FB_IMG_1620687903640.jpg
FB_IMG_1620687909041.jpg
FB_IMG_1620687970969.jpg
FB_IMG_1620687974679.jpg
FB_IMG_1620687980110.jpg
FB_IMG_1620687985117.jpg
FB_IMG_1620687991259.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe this has been previously discussed, but am I correct in my assessment that dress shoe prices (including shell cordovan) are depressed? I would suspect the need for dress shoes (vintage or otherwise) has diminished with the pandemic, and may never fully recover given the increased, long term acceptance of working from home.

Shell cordovan rarely ever goes on sale.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These were trashed when I bought them. They had half soles already. The ribbing was destroyed.

A cobbler replaced the ribbing, midsoles, and welt. JR soles, toe taps, and cat paw heels.

View attachment 1607859 View attachment 1607860 View attachment 1607861 View attachment 1607862 View attachment 1607863 View attachment 1607864 View attachment 1607865 View attachment 1607866 View attachment 1607867
Wow! You weren’t kidding, that’s one hell of a turnaround.

It’s amazing what can be accomplished by a skilled cobbler.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guess who’s back...
Back again...

Sorry, I had to disappear for a long while; just know it involved an insane amount of work saving (what was) a terribly broken company (which is now not broken).

So, here’s some shoes: they are AE’s; your mission is to identify the model name and number. Know that this one is harder than it first appears. Bonus points if you get the era and catalog entry correct.

uTYQ5D5.jpg

NL0LJbx.jpg

9zYKkDe.jpg

3lflg57.jpg

I am, indeed, wearing these shoes today. In public.
Guess who's back? Back again?

Shady's back.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome back @wasmisterfu. In honor of NST day, I'm reminded of this pair of AE shell that I could not wear. From the archives:
View attachment 1607953

View attachment 1607954

I almost wore these out for Mother's Day, but opted for the Nettleton shark split-toe instead.

These could use a round of TLC. The were worn often pre-pandemic, but have been in a box for the last year. They keep getting darker with each round of conditioning (Bick 4). Closer to a medium brown then their original Cognac.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not my listing. A pair of 93602 in 9-1/2 D that appear to be in decent shape. $26 BIN.

I just had 2 pairs intercepted by spousal customs, so I'm on probation right now... :(

You can always apply to have the probation conditions varied.

To wit:

1. No further footwear purchases unless approved by a Council composed of members of the vintage thread on Styleforum;

2. Not to possess any new footwear, with exception in condition #1;

3. To attend counseling as directed;

4. Keep the peace and be of good behaviour, especially towards _ _;

5. To surrender all credit cards or other financial instruments that can be used for online purchases, with exception in condition #1;

6. Complete 100 hours of community service and to show proof of such service;

7. Stay 100 meters away from any footwear store, that is known to you.

Probation to last 12 months.

happypebble

Reaction score
Not my listing. A pair of 93602 in 9-1/2 D that appear to be in decent shape. $26 BIN.

I just had 2 pairs intercepted by spousal customs, so I'm on probation right now... :(
I feel your pain. I have two pairs in the pipeline that USPS has managed to misdirect. One pair I was worried about because it was coming from Canada and needed to clear customs. I was extra worried when tracking informed me it was in the US, but at the infamous Chicago customs/processing center, the one with a bad reputation for holding packages or just plain losing them. It got out of there, but inexplicably now has made its way to Connecticut, heading in the wrong direction. The other pair was supposed to go from North Carolina to me in Vegas, but was last seen at the USPS processing center in San Juan, Puerto Rico, supposedly headed back to the US mainland. GAAAH! We pay taxes for this level of Big Gubmint incompetence! As DEVO put it, "Are you kidding me? You must be kidding me." #Privatize

Last edited:

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I have two pairs in the pipeline that USPS has managed to misdirect. One pair I was worried about because it was coming from Canada and needed to clear customs. I was extra worried when tracking informed me it was in the US, but at the infamous Chicago customs/processing center, the one with a bad reputation for holding packages or just plain losing them. It got out of there, but inexplicably now has made its way to Connecticut, heading in the wrong direction. The other pair was supposed to go from North Carolina to me in Vegas, but was last seen at the USPS processing center in San Juan, Puerto Rico, supposedly headed back to the US mainland. GAAAH! We pay taxes for this level of Big Gubmint incompetence! As DEVO put it, "Are you kidding me? You must be kidding me." #Privatize

The USPS has historically been quite reliable and efficient until last year’s shenanigans went down. There is no need to privatize it. Likely, privatization would have a negative impact on many Americans’ lives “because there’s no money in it.”

PSU John

Reaction score
The USPS has historically been quite reliable and efficient until last year’s shenanigans went down. There is no need to privatize it. Likely, privatization would have a negative impact on many Americans’ lives “because there’s no money in it.”
I second those those thoughts - the responsible party for any disruption in the USPS is now cooling his heels in "exile"

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, and on top of that, there’s no reason to believe private companies would do a better job. I recently bought a pair from David who promptly dispatched them through FedEx. They reached Columbus (the destination city) in one day. Instead of then arriving at my door, they spent the next nine days traveling through Indianapolis and Memphis, before arriving back in Columbus.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second those those thoughts - the responsible party for any disruption in the USPS is now cooling his heels in "exile"

I’m way behind on the thread. I was out of state for a few days to visit the kids and celebrate Mother’s Day for my wife. And I have been furiously finishing up a brief for work.

Work really gets in the way of forum fun!

My shoes are on the way back from the Cobbler. I can’t wait! I had a pair of GH Restored.

USPS is driving me crazy. They were shipped on May 6. I’m in Tennessee and they were shipped from a bordering state — North Carolina. They were supposed to be delivered on Monday. The tracking now shows that they are “in transit.” They traveled from Winston Salem to Greensboro, NC. Now, they are apparently in an alternate universe somewhere between Greensboro and Memphis.

MEANWHILE, I had another package coming from Budapest, Hungary (over 5200 miles away). They were shipped on the afternoon of May 10. FedEx just delivered them by 9:30 am this morning. So, while the USPS package has been floating around for five days somewhere within a few hundred miles, FedEx delivered my package in about 36 hours and it wasn’t the overnight service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads