• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leiker

Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I just picked up these 1983 AE McGregor model 0660 off of David’s list. Thank you, sir @davidVC . Love the pebble grain & 7 eyelets. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find them in 82, 83 or 84 AE catalog. Maybe it was for a trunk show.
Gotta love 80s AEs. They are cool!
View attachment 1605528 View attachment 1605529 View attachment 1605530

Those are an awesome pickup. Coincidentally, I was just looking at that pair on his sold list and was wondering who might have snagged 'em.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are my first Stuart Macquire Shell.

@sam67 offered them at a bargain price. The quality is better than I expected as some SM that I have seen are pretty cheaply made. I am pleased.

91A87864-C2E3-433A-AC5C-10DA2752F978.jpeg
E024DF1C-EF14-4210-B981-6583D6ADE3EB.jpeg

The Shell uppers don’t have much wear. But, there is some mysterious spotting.

I used some Renovateur and then followed it up with Saphir cream. When I put on the cream, the spots almost disappeared. But, after bushing the spots returned. These are not like typical lighter colored areas on Shell. These are like a spot that was caused by something like a stripper? What could cause this on Shell?

Other than using Cordovan cream (with lots of pigment) is there anyway to address this?

The sizing is really odd too. @sam67 noticed it too. The size shows “4105”. Which would equate to a 10.5D. But, they feel like an 11+ and at least E.

7D24CA94-25E5-4628-9F08-5AAB3EE8133C.jpeg
7609C064-9DF0-4CA8-AC6A-A652F2613723.jpeg

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

@sam67 offered them at a bargain price. The quality is better than I expected as some SM that I have seen are pretty cheaply made. I am pleased.

View attachment 1605661 View attachment 1605662

I used some Renovateur and then followed it up with Saphir cream. When I put on the cream, the spots almost disappeared. But, after bushing the spots returned. These are not like typical lighter colored areas on Shell. These are like a spot that was caused by something like a stripper? What could cause this on Shell?

Other than using Cordovan cream (with lots of pigment) is there anyway to address this?

The sizing is really odd too. @sam67 noticed it too. The size shows “4105”. Which would equate to a 10.5D. But, they feel like an 11+ and at least E.

View attachment 1605693 View attachment 1605695

That's pretty strange looking and I'm not going to hazard a guess as to the cause. I don't recommend trying to use tinted creams since I don't think the results will be nearly as good as stripping and re-dye them. It's not difficult. I just went through this with a pair of AEs that I posted here a couple weeks ago and they really came out pretty great.

This is the pair I was talking about...

Last edited:

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These have been resoled but was the new sole glued since you can't see any stitching or its it hidden? My guess is glued. I guess once a shoe is resoled you can't tell how many lives it has left, right? Any info appreciated.

1620343341834.png

Quantum17

Reaction score
These have been resoled but was the new sole glued since you can't see any stitching or its it hidden? My guess is glued. I guess once a shoe is resoled you can't tell how many lives it has left, right? Any info appreciated.

View attachment 1605849
It’s been half resoled. Since heels are original, I’m sure the soles are still original. I think it’s a little bit better than putting on plastic sole protector since it’s leather.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here they are, American Gentleman 11D. Looks like the same medallion design as yours. They're corrected grain, but you can see how they're breaking in after 5 wears, and I walk a lot. Seems to be a decent qualilty CG.

Question for you: these fit higher than any of my other shoes around the ankle; I suppose I might need a half size bigger, or one size wider, but they fit great other than that. It's not a big problem, just has caused some rubbing that is getting better as they break in. View attachment 1605466

Put a bandaid on your ankles to avoid blisters.

MontyLo

Reaction score
Anybody know if there’s a way to replace faux lacing that’s been ripped out of a pair of lazyman oxfords without extensive deconstruction ?

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
This seller has some crazy prices. I have watched a couple pairs of his for a long time. I have always figured, if he can get crazy prices for them, good for him.

But, I still don’t understand this pair.

He describes them at a Budapester. I think that is sort of an apocryphal name for the style. I think there are other brands where a gunboat and a Budapester might be different. These do not show the style number. But, aren’t these just a 93602?

Yeah, here's the lowdown on the Budapester:

Interesting that those who live in Budapest call them "Karlsbaders". As regards earlski, that's Earl Adkins, who appears to be am SF, US-based proxy for Sevan Minasian, the proprietor of classicshoesformen.com. Yeah, they get great prices, and Sevan knows his stuff as well as any of us. Impeccable management and knowledge commands stellar pricing for those for whom price is not an object. I would never pay these prices but I recognize that there are those who do. Good for him! And yes, full disclosure: as a reseller, there are certain shoes that are best placed with Sevan, and when it makes sense, I will do it. YMMV. of course.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dack’s camel ? short wings today.
DF3D20FF-1251-4FFA-90F1-61D8FC814EED.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1605661 View attachment 1605662

View attachment 1605693 View attachment 1605695

What causes the discolouration of the shell like that? Is it fixable with cordovan polish?

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's pretty strange looking and I'm not going to hazard a guess as to the cause. I don't recommend trying to use tinted creams since I don't think the results will be nearly as good as stripping and re-dye them. It's not difficult. I just went through this with a pair of AEs that I posted here a couple weeks ago and they really came out pretty great.

This is the pair I was talking about...

I remember seeing that post. I presume you used Acetone to strip them. What did you use for the burgundy/#8 dye? I have used Fiebings and Angelus. I’m sure one of them makes a #8 type color.

OR, maybe I should try a different color Shell! I have many #8. Perhaps it’s time for something different.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads