• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WSB17

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about the Johnston and Murphy "handcrafted" optima cushion line? What are we talking about here? Is this on par with the Crown Aristocraft, or are we talking about the garbage J&M became?
Can you post a picture ? I'm assuming this is brown label, which is made in Mexico.

It goes: Crown Aristocraft > Aristocraft > Optima

The older Optima, made in the US, was mostly corrected grain, but had some decent quality. Better than what J&M making today.
The made in Mexico and India is lower quality.. nowhere near the Crown Aristocraft/Aristocraft quality.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about the Johnston and Murphy "handcrafted" optima cushion line? What are we talking about here? Is this on par with the Crown Aristocraft, or are we talking about the garbage J&M became?

JM had many lines. As a general rule I judge the quality of each line by their position in the catalog. There is an older catalog on vcleat.com.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The “GH” project is done and they are on their way back to me.

102786A9-3D03-4F21-AE18-925028FB493F.jpeg
44411AF3-2E5C-47F3-9F7F-0EEE2B4C0FF5.jpeg
141272C4-9BF8-487D-BBCC-4987E5E9F2A5.jpeg
B8E786E2-E519-4886-8DB5-3ACFF3762D60.jpeg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t know anything about Keith highlander. I do think a few have spoken favorably about them. I do really like the black/burgundy Saddle combination.

They do look like CG. But, NOS is hard to find.

Not my listing:

I bought a pair similar to these my freshman year in College (1991). I don’t remember the brand. But, I think they were a good brand. They were $90 and I bought them for a College Debate Tournament. I was so happy with them and I didn’t really have $90 back then.

On the second day of the tournament, I took them off and left them with all of our team stuff at the big room where all the teams gathered. We were going to dinner and lots of people left their files and bags. Someone stole them. I was So mad! It was a dumb mistake to leave them. They might have been Florsheim or maybe Sebago (or some other brand). They were on sale when I got them.

Last edited:

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This seller has some crazy prices. I have watched a couple pairs of his for a long time. I have always figured, if he can get crazy prices for them, good for him.

But, I still don’t understand this pair.

He describes them at a Budapester. I think that is sort of an apocryphal name for the style. I think there are other brands where a gunboat and a Budapester might be different. These do not show the style number. But, aren’t these just a 93602?

kilowatts

Reaction score
This seller has some crazy prices. I have watched a couple pairs of his for a long time. I have always figured, if he can get crazy prices for them, good for him.

He describes them at a Budapester. I think that is sort of an apocryphal name for the style. I think there are other brands where a gunboat and a Budapester might be different. These do not show the style number. But, aren’t these just a 93602?
Yeah, I don’t really understand this guy either. He does have a great selection of shoes. Perhaps he has a market in Europe where prices are higher than in N America. He sure does a great job of promoting his wares too.
kilowatts

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Magnificent. Now that you've moved into the snowy north, remember to buy rubber overshoes/overboots to protect these beauties.

Nope, for nasty weather I just go for boots. CXL Indy with the all terrain soles.

E0284A02-09E9-4EC0-AE58-3ADCDE3F7D31.jpeg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find myself apologizing for posting black shoes because I don’t wear them that often. But, I have discovered I have more black shoes than I thought. I suppose many of them are neglected because I really don’t wear them as often.

I really like these anyway. I love saddle shoes. Usually saddle shoes have a little more interest because the saddle is typically a different texture/grain and it usually a different color. These are unusual In that way —being black on black.

According to the date code these are either 1966 or 1976. The lettering is old and dark so I think they might 1966.

The style number is very hard to read. It looks like 21323 (or 21322).

I don’t know why my socks look green. They are supposed to be gray.

582C1EB5-6492-4B31-A0A5-5256BDF215AD.jpeg
B722A595-CE42-4466-8691-7F7B83318066.jpeg

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dropped in to goodwill and found some shell Hanover PTBs. Showing some early cracks, so I picked them up to make watch bands.

0205A45D-08BF-4A3B-A5A8-89F9CCCB25D5.jpeg

First stop, remove the soles. They take up less room in the suitcase this way.

0C41984C-EA80-4ECC-B584-82BAABEE9D92.jpeg

9D56B10C-494F-4B93-86C1-352883EF432E.jpeg

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

This is a budapester in my view... https://www.heinrich-dinkelacker.com/buda-full-brogue-h.html

That said, I try not to be pendantic about such things. Maybe he's onto a better marketing method for his gunboats?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads