• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden shell chukkas for the trip to the farmers market, on my birthday.
D2DA2EB2-DF18-439A-90BA-F3ACF71736CB.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m glad I could inspire you! :)

those are GREAT! I guess it’s the bright sun, but they look almost Navy?

You have a cobbler package named after you? Now that’s an honor!
Are those blue shell? If they are black, that’s about the nicest shade of black shell I’ve seen.
Bet you had the best footwear in that McDonald's. Whenever I'm in church I look around to see what the other men are wearing. The conversation in my head is like "let's see... Tennis shoes, nope. Flip flops, nope. Cheap looking oxfords, the like of Aldo and Steve Madden, nope. (look down at my shoes). Mason Executive Imperials? We have a winner!"

Definitely black shell. Maybe in the sun they look navy?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Alright guys, need a helping hand on a shell restoration issue. It happened to me again! Ok, not exactly, but a while ago I mentioned that I had been working on a pair of shell aldens that I tried to condition and sand as part of the restoration and that I had ended up with this weird matte portion of the shell. For that pair, I came to the conclusion that I over conditioned and they are now sitting waiting for more attention... or just time.

Well... I just e-thrifted a pair of AEs and there is a panel that has a similar issue but a different cause (I think). However, this time I have no idea what the history of the shoe is other than what I have done so far, which isn't that extensive. They looked very similar to the below when I got them. They really do not seem to be overconditioned. I gave the shoes a quick scrub with saddle soap and a wet microfiber. Then I did a coat of a neatsfoot + VSC blend (which, by the way, seems to be a good idea since it makes it much easier to modulate the neatsfoot). I then let them dry for a bit and gave them a brushing with a pig bristle brush. Both shoes look much better at this point except for this one section.

Lotta pics, sorry... just trying to figure out what's up here. I realize they are still a little messy. It really does not feel like buildup of polish or wax or conditioner to me and I got barely any color off at all while cleaning. I don't have the impression that the they have been polished much really.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1595286 View attachment 1595287 View attachment 1595288 View attachment 1595289

Alright, alright... Finished up this restoration today. Thanks again to those that encouraged me to hit this pair with some acetone and sanding. That did the trick. I also ended up re-dying them. The finish issues are completely gone. I must say they came out pretty darned well! Fun project.

IMG_1561 (002).jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Quantum17 My alligator/shell Cole-Haan did not work out either. Cracks in the alligator skin. The shell cordovan area were perfectly supple. So reptile scale is probably even more prone to drying and cracking than shell.

View attachment 1598968 View attachment 1598970

The vcleat was well worn also. Interesting that there are 3 nails in the arch area and none on the opposite side.

View attachment 1598971 View attachment 1598972

What's that I'm wearing while holding the Cole-Haan?

@CWOyaji @friendlygoz Those are my e-thrifted vintage violation AE Shell Cordovan Leeds for $35. I had stripped and dyed them with red dye. But the result seems burgundy with some area Coke red.

View attachment 1598973
What did you use to condition the gator? Is it beyond saving?

Bon Vivant Life

Reaction score
scored these today from bins. is it @Oshare who has a pair of these? these have no model number, and it definitely has not worn away. custom made perhaps?
20210424_180212.jpg
20210424_180227.jpg
20210424_180302.jpg
20210424_180343.jpg

any info would be greatly appreciated.
also grabbed these unworn AE Worthington chukkas. Have no idea how to date them. don't know if they are vintage or not, there is a pair on ebay but they have leather soles, not rubber. again, any help/info will guarantee you a spot in my top 3 favorite people of the day, and a 1 in 3 chance of winning $10,000!!!! (last sentence is not true)
20210424_180611.jpg
20210424_180625.jpg
20210424_180644.jpg
20210424_180709.jpg

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strange how much wider your older pair look.... Both pairs are glorious, as you know! But more importantly - Trader Joes bag? You can't mean the grocery store in the US??? If you think we should start an import/export business for Trader Joes shopping bags let me know as I have, I think, two or three of them within 15 minutes of my house.

I’ve seen NWT Trader Joe’s tote bags on sale in boutique shops in Tokyo for about 3x to 4x what they sell for in the US. My wife and I love TJ’s and go out of our way to stop by whenever we are in a city that has one.

Unfortunately they are not in Hawaii (my home state). We do have Whole Foods and their tote bags are even more popular and well known in Japan.

Ive seriously thought about a little side hustle selling TJ and WF bags over here:p

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
scored these today from bins. is it @Oshare who has a pair of these? these have no model number, and it definitely has not worn away. custom made perhaps?
View attachment 1599386 View attachment 1599387 View attachment 1599388 View attachment 1599389

Wow! So other pairs exist! Cool unicorn find!

Mine actually have a model number: 9400
... but that doesn't really match up with any known series, so they are probably custom made shoes.

The only real difference I can see between your pair and mine is the color of the welt stitching, and my pair lacks the 5 nails.

Here are some shots of my pair for comparison:

20200623-03.jpg

20200623-04.jpg

20200623-06.jpg

20200623-08.jpg

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I’ve seen NWT Trader Joe’s tote bags on sale in boutique shops in Tokyo for about 3x to 4x what they sell for in the US. My wife and I love TJ’s and go out of our way to stop by whenever we are in a city that has one.

Unfortunately they are not in Hawaii (my home state). We do have Whole Foods and their tote bags are even more popular and well known in Japan.

Ive seriously thought about a little side hustle selling TJ and WF bags over here:p

That's honestly hysterical. Do people realize what those stores are? I can't even make sense of how this happened! Anyway, I'm buying out the inventory of bags at my Whole Foods and dropping 'em on the classifieds in Japan. This sounds like it'll be great for my shoe funny money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads