• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been plodding away at my recently acquired Golden Harvest Imperials. They've been cleaned well and conditioned with Bick 4 so now it's time for a color polish. Any recommendations on brands and colors?

@smfdoc recently did a great job. He will have some suggestions.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been plodding away at my recently acquired Golden Harvest Imperials. They've been cleaned well and conditioned with Bick 4 so now it's time for a color polish. Any recommendations on brands and colors?
@smfdoc recently did a great job. He will have some suggestions.

Unfortunately, I do not have a polish suggestion other than a neutral. My recent experience was limited to dye as opposed to polish. I did see a Collonil cream in gold, link, but I have no idea if it would work well with what you have. I shall look forward to hearing other recommendations. You should also post a picture of the shoes in question as they are now as that may help.

Update: I did a search for yellow shoe polish and found a brand that has "banana" color that might work too. Link No promises as I have never used this brand, but I just may consider it for mine. BTW, this brand is a division of Fiebing's who made the dye I used for my pair.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Florsheim imperial watchband today. Made from kindly donated shoes from @eTrojan. He not only donated them, he delivered them to my old office. Oh, I just had a thought. If I find another pair in a thrift store, I could strip them, dye them to golden harvest, then make them into a watch band to wear with my shoes. That should keep me out of trouble for a week or so.

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

Last edited:

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a jar of yellow cream polish made by Boot Black, and used light coats of it a couple of times... but I found that yellow was, well, too yellow for my Golden Harvests. These days I just use neutral on them.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Florsheim imperial watchband today. Made from kindly donated shoes from @eTrojan. He not only donated them, he delivered them to my old office. Oh, I just had a thought. If I find another pair in a thrift store, I could strip them, dye them to golden harvest, then make them into a watch band to wear with my shoes. That should keep me out of trouble for a week or so.

View attachment 1597720
View attachment 1597721
I love it. We must have been on the same wavelength today because I’m wearing my inherited Missoni Sport (Swiss quartz) watch on the shell strap you made me from the cracked AE shell chukkas I sent you.
D5022B5F-4830-4350-8648-1B29C2DB239B.jpeg
F464C225-4A50-4DAA-A713-979E0F3D0877.jpeg
5ABE4B66-D997-4445-8851-E64AB6C89EFC.jpeg

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I do not have a polish suggestion other than a neutral. My recent experience was limited to dye as opposed to polish. I did see a Collonil cream in gold, link, but I have no idea if it would work well with what you have. I shall look forward to hearing other recommendations. You should also post a picture of the shoes in question as they are now as that may help.

Update: I did a search for yellow shoe polish and found a brand that has "banana" color that might work too. Link No promises as I have never used this brand, but I just may consider it for mine. BTW, this brand is a division of Fiebing's who made the dye I used for my pair.
Pictures, you say? Glad to oblige.

20210422_155649.jpg

20210422_155701.jpg

Date code KH, so probably 1977 vintage.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for cream polish, light brown or Saphir "cinnamon" would be fine. I find that vintage Florsheim Kenmoors don't absorb cream polish well. If you are looking at wax polish, neutral or brown should be fine. EDIT: I think I win the "late to the party" award for the day. I see you got this figured out. They look great.

Quantum17

Reaction score
I was quite excited to pick up a pair of NOS (with box) Hanover saddle shell which arrived earlier today. I love the color, and it would make my first saddle shell. I was so disappointed to find a tear on the left shoe. It’s just incredibly heartbreaking. I still can’t believe it ? Here are some photos before I mail them back. Oh it hurts. So close!
2A81D49E-34EB-4ECA-B7D2-A3565BC27A9D.jpeg
A261F8E7-2269-40EF-9CB2-2F1E684D99B9.jpeg
EEC4875E-262C-4666-A068-6DDD8FD20F2C.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was quite excited to pick up a pair of NOS (with box) Hanover saddle shell which arrived earlier today. I love the color, and it would make my first saddle shell. I was so disappointed to find a tear on the left shoe. It’s just incredibly heartbreaking. I still can’t believe it ? Here are some photos before I mail them back. Oh it hurts. So close!
View attachment 1598168 View attachment 1598169 View attachment 1598170
Dang. That's heartbreaking. If you can return them, do it. My guess is that they are other cracks waiting to emerge. I've been there before, brother. It hurts.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has been a black Shell week for me. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s just because I don’t wear it that often. I might as well finish out the workweek with another pair.

Vintage Florsheim Black Shell Cordovan PTB.

B5DB3D79-B958-48D8-9185-5FD53465A4CE.jpeg
DF86E073-702B-4142-AD26-40FEA2EE68A2.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads