• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
I'm not sure about that product specifically but looking at some of the prices for Meltonian creams on eBay makes me want to run downtown to the shoe store, buy the Meltonian he has left, and flip it for shoe money.
If they have that cream, I'll pay handsomely for it, but not the crazy ebay prices ?

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE had some shoe laces on clearance for 97 cents. They only had pumpkin and orange (which sounds like the same color).
I apologize I don’t remember who I got these from. They are vintage Lloyd and Haig and a member here entered them in the shoe restoration contest.

I cleaned them up and needed laces so I decided to try the orange laces!

02B89044-1498-4311-84BF-4808549B9093.jpeg
82F59648-5155-4FA5-9C46-BBE091CF5402.jpeg

happypebble

Reaction score
AE had some shoe laces on clearance for 97 cents. They only had pumpkin and orange (which sounds like the same color).
I apologize I don’t remember who I got these from. They are vintage Lloyd and Haig and a member here entered them in the shoe restoration contest.

I cleaned them up and needed laces so I decided to try the orange laces!

View attachment 1596586 View attachment 1596587
Very good, I'd call that a win all around.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, what’s the secret to shining Chromexcel? Maybe it isn’t supposed to be shiny. That’s okay, I don’t mind the look of it. These have been conditioned several times with Bick 4. I like the fact they are a little more casual. But, the light colored CXL almost looks dry. It isn’t. But, I’m trying to make sure I’m doing the right thing.

These are my only Alden CXL.

7F10F00A-4F73-4E6F-AF0E-FDAE355443DA.jpeg
DE06D2C9-41BF-4E8E-A784-8B3D1957E4A2.jpeg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Yah that is pretty much what CXL looks like. I don't have too many cxl pairs but you can try some vsc on it to get a little more of a shine but it's really a casual leather.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yah that is pretty much what CXL looks like. I don't have too many cxl pairs but you can try some vsc on it to get a little more of a shine but it's really a casual leather.
I use VSC, lather it on let the shoe soak it up over night, then brush, brush, brush, you may get just a little more shine.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, what’s the secret to shining Chromexcel? Maybe it isn’t supposed to be shiny. That’s okay, I don’t mind the look of it. These have been conditioned several times with Bick 4. I like the fact they are a little more casual. But, the light colored CXL almost looks dry. It isn’t. But, I’m trying to make sure I’m doing the right thing.

These are my only Alden CXL.

View attachment 1596686 View attachment 1596687

Use cordovan cream on it. Cordovan cream will make CXL shine for a long time.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have another pair of 93605 that have cracks — different than the ones I asked about a while back. I bought these on eBay a few years ago. The seller kind of screwed me and I got busy with work and didn’t go through PayPal to correct it.

I have been hanging onto them until I could find a cobbler I trust. So, I sent them to Tony Wyatt to look at. I knew the split was in a bad place and would require a patch and it might not really work.

I was sending him some others anyway so I thought I would give it a try. He called me and initially we decided to try a patch repair with the idea that it is a small investment and not do anything else until we know it will hold.

DFFA8A77-CB34-49EF-AB6D-E74964108CC9.jpeg
2ABFC1AE-F338-4494-A411-48C87679CEF1.jpeg

HOWEVER, while looking them over Tony found more problems.

92FC78FA-3346-4282-931C-C097C0DDEF83.jpeg

160CA561-9927-4B95-AE0B-489DC059B09A.jpeg

The reason I’m reporting all this is two fold.

1. Tony is honest. He could have just stuck with the patch job and made a little money when I had pretty low expectations.
2. Tony mentioned we could use this pair “for parts.”

I had no idea that we could salvage parts of this pair to use on others. I guess it seems obvious. But, I never considered it. I thought a cracked damaged pair was just good for watch straps and experiments. He told me about a customer who had a pair and Tony did a patch job. If he would have had a pair like this, he could have used it and the repair would have been almost unnoticeable.

Now I’m having visions of taking my two damaged pairs of 93605 and turning them into some sort of Frankenshell.

There is another lesson here — which I am sure you all are much smarter than I have been and already know this.

Don’t buy cheap Shell Cordovan. It’s cheap for a reason. If it looks dried out and cracked, it is. Don’t let the 93605 siren song draw you in to crash on the rocks of an alleged bargain.

I have learned this bit of wisdom in a more general sense. In the world of collectible shoes, one should buy the absolute best example that he can afford. While some cobblers do incredible work, it is better/cheaper/easier to start with a really good condition version as opposed to finding a pair that needs work.

Even with all the above wisdom, I can imagine certain exceptions. Some sort of exceedingly rare style or MTO MIGHT be worth buying even if it is going to need total restoration. But, that would probably only be for super rare and unusual styles that the owner is going to keep and love instead of to flip.

Sheesh that was a long post. Sorry. I’m waiting on a call and it has taken way too long.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had another pair of Dacks Zebu U-wings come in, the 1960's version, size 9D. These shoes just clean up so wonderfully. Them seem to always come coated with a layer of old, dark polish.

Likely my favourite Dack's style, along with the whole-cuts.

Before and after a little love.

IMG_6636.jpg
IMG_6643.jpg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I have had another pair of Dacks Zebu U-wings come in, the 1960's version, size 9D. These shoes just clean up so wonderfully. Them seem to always come coated with a layer of old, dark polish.

View attachment 1596834 View attachment 1596835

Sooooooo hot!!!!

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are incredible. I say wear, enjoy, and share their beauty with the world (if people don't notice your shoes, make them notice by striking up a conversation that starts with, "Hey, you see these shoes right here?"). Life is too short.

I have a pair of NOS Florsheim 93602s from 1965 that I would like to wear, but still haven't quite gotten them to fit correctly. They are quite beautiful in their pristine state.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Holy Hannah those are nice. I'd really love to have one of those pairs of Canadian treasures in my collection.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am not a huge fan of U wings, but these are very lovely nevertheless. Great find.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads