• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

happypebble

Reaction score
Don't see why that'd be a problem?
Oh, I was just thinking if a cobbler had acquired the heels himself it'd be another opportunity for a markup. I work in automotive, and many shops will refuse to work on a car using customer-supplied parts, for that very reason.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I was just thinking if a cobbler had acquired the heels himself it'd be another opportunity for a markup. I work in automotive, and many shops will refuse to work on a car using customer-supplied parts, for that very reason.

Hmm. I mean, you can definitely run into a problem, but I wouldn't imagine. It seems like cats paw heels are specifically niche that why would they be that bothered?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I mean, you can definitely run into a problem, but I wouldn't imagine. It seems like cats paw heels are specifically niche that why would they be that bothered?

Ask the cobbler first. Some are cool with it, while others treat such an offer like you've declared war.

I've had over 30 pairs rebuilt by a few cobblers. Most of my preferred cobblers won't accept parts they didn't source themselves. I don't really get it, but here we are.

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
I probably asked about this before, but can anyone reçcomend a product that works the same as the old Allen Edmonds Conditioner/Cleaner? It was made by Melatonian who sold a product with the same name (presumably the same). The stuff was great for working out deep scuffs without having to use a colored creme. I must not be the only fan out there, because the remaining bottles sell on ebay for north of $50. I have Bick, Lexol, Saphir (lotion, greasy, renovateur) none of the work as well on for scuffs. I have Pure Polish, Black Rock, Venetian, Pecard's, everything anyone has recommended. Whatever chemical Melatonian used, worked. Probably the toxic one that led SC Johnson to retire the whole line. Even thoughts on what ingredient made it different, presumably a solvent, would be helpful.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Golden Harvests, as delivered. They've had a half-sole replacement, which I usually wouldn't buy, but they're GH and my size and when will I ever find another pair? For having a half-sole replacement, they're not horribly butchered and I think I can wear them for a while before having them rebuilt. I paid $70 plus shipping from a fellow who is a member of one of the vintage shoe pages on Facebook. A bit more than I usually pay for shoes but, well, Golden Harvest.

20210413_230620.jpg

20210413_230637.jpg

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I probably asked about this before, but can anyone reçcomend a product that works the same as the old Allen Edmonds Conditioner/Cleaner? It was made by Melatonian who sold a product with the same name (presumably the same). The stuff was great for working out deep scuffs without having to use a colored creme. I must not be the only fan out there, because the remaining bottles sell on ebay for north of $50. I have Bick, Lexol, Saphir (lotion, greasy, renovateur) none of the work as well on for scuffs. I have Pure Polish, Black Rock, Venetian, Pecard's, everything anyone has recommended. Whatever chemical Melatonian used, worked. Probably the toxic one that led SC Johnson to retire the whole line. Even thoughts on what ingredient made it different, presumably a solvent, would be helpful.
I'm not sure about that product specifically but looking at some of the prices for Meltonian creams on eBay makes me want to run downtown to the shoe store, buy the Meltonian he has left, and flip it for shoe money.

ZePrez

Reaction score
Golden Harvests, as delivered. They've had a half-sole replacement, which I usually wouldn't buy, but they're GH and my size and when will I ever find another pair? For having a half-sole replacement, they're not horribly butchered and I think I can wear them for a while before having them rebuilt. I paid $70 plus shipping from a fellow who is a member of one of the vintage shoe pages on Facebook. A bit more than I usually pay for shoes but, well, Golden Harvest.

View attachment 1592776

View attachment 1592777
Hope I am not raining on your parade. The upper looks spectacular. I would suggest to bring these to a serious cobbler to re-craft those classic shoes to new. These are superb.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey, I've got a question: I see people on eBay selling Cat's Paw heels. If my local guy doesn't have them, would it be out of line to get some off eBay, bring them in and ask him to install them? Cobbler etiquette, you understand.

If I recall, they did come in different sizes so check that out before purchases are made.

happypebble

Reaction score
If I recall, they did come in different sizes so check that out before purchases are made.
Correct. They appear to be made as to fit a size or the next one over, like fits 9-10, 12-13, 13-14 or whatever. But, in any case, if I decide to pursue this I will ask my guy first if he has access to Cat's Paws or if not, if he would take some I found. I have a couple pairs about due for a reheel that would look good with those heels.

Last edited:

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the shoes I had restored/repaired look as good in person as they do in pictures, I will probably have a pair of GH done.

I have a pair that was previously resoled. It was done well but the previous owner had the cobbler use house leather soles. He said the shoes were still in good shape — he had them done when the cobbler was doing some others.

I think GH deserves a real resto/recraft. My questions involve options for the sole in terms of colors, etc.

Here they are now:

631EFC4C-8DFE-4EAB-A6D6-D8320FF7BDA9.jpeg
A95257D0-0DFF-4F35-8A05-86A973CA5FA2.jpeg

On one of the pairs I just had done, we decided to do a split welt and an antique edge. I think that would look good on the GH. But, I’m open to ideas. I also wonder about the color of the welt stitching.

WHITE stitching makes the most dramatic impact because of the contrast and because it is so bright. However, white doesn’t really have any relationship to the other colors. So, I’m looking for input on that too.

Here, again, is my other pair with antique edge and brown stitching.

B9E58FBA-4FA6-4894-B1AD-3A474C66AB0F.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the shoes I had restored/repaired look as good in person as they do in pictures, I will probably have a pair of GH done.

I have a pair that was previously resoled. It was done well but the previous owner had the cobbler use house leather soles. He said the shoes were still in good shape — he had them done when the cobbler was doing some others.

I think GH deserves a real resto/recraft. My questions involve options for the sole in terms of colors, etc.

Here they are now:

View attachment 1592825 View attachment 1592826

On one of the pairs I just had done, we decided to do a split welt and an antique edge. I think that would look good on the GH. But, I’m open to ideas. I also wonder about the color of the welt stitching.

WHITE stitching makes the most dramatic impact because of the contrast and because it is so bright. However, white doesn’t really have any relationship to the other colors. So, I’m looking for input on that too.

Here, again, is my other pair with antique edge and brown stitching.

View attachment 1592827

For the GH pair, I would send back to Tony Wyatt. I have a pair rebuilt and has white welt stitching, making them really pop.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd really like a Sanford in shell. If you are overloaded and a 10.5D let's talk or just flaunt it with your picture.

1618405793233.png

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the GH pair, I would send back to Tony Wyatt. I have a pair rebuilt and has white welt stitching, making them really pop.

I will definitely send them to Tony assuming mine look as good in person.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads