• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vestbash

Reaction score
There was a pair of 1960s Nunn Bush long wings that sold quickly this morning. They were made in the old Nunn Bush factory based on the lettering. They looked really good but also looked a little off. Like the upper was Corfam. What do you guys think?

s-l1600.jpg

I am confident in saying these are not shell cordovan. The eyelets don't look right for shell (no indentation), the end grain on the tongue doesn't look correct both in thickness and texture/color, and the color is far too even across the entirety of the shoe. The LWB pattern would also be very unusual for a shell cordovan shoe given where the usual seams would be.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

happypebble

Reaction score
Someone mentioned Sears shoes made by Hanover; here's a pair of those that just came back from the cobbler with new leather heel toplift and v cleat. These are heavy and solidly built, no worries about quality here. Cobbler did a nice.job on these so I should be set for a long time with this pair. Comfortable enough at size 12EE that it was worth the forty bucks for repairs and cleanup. Vintage laces by Foot-So-Port.
20210410_144522_HDR.jpg
20210410_144451.jpg

Last edited:

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a nod to Patrick O’Brian! ;)

Indeed. Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin are fictional heroes of mine.

“Two weevils crept from the crumbs. 'You see those weevils, Stephen?' said Jack solemnly.

I do.'

Which would you choose?'

There is not a scrap of difference. Arcades ambo. They are the same species of curculio, and there is nothing to choose between them.'

But suppose you had to choose?'

Then I should choose the right-hand weevil; it has a perceptible advantage in both length and breadth.'

There I have you,' cried Jack. 'You are bit - you are completely dished. Don't you know that in the Navy you must always choose the lesser of two weevils? Oh ha, ha, ha, ha!”

happypebble

Reaction score
Off to church in the other pair I retrieved from the cobbler: Cordwainer Wrights with a good cleanup and new heels, now ready for many more miles. Wright should have won an award for how comfortable these are...guess the original owner broke them in right.
20210410_144642_HDR.jpg
20210410_144625_HDR.jpg

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Wotking on some color.

The GH imitation is ready for polishing .

Not happy with the olive color pair. May need to strip and start over.

The red pair is maybe 50s McHale golf shoes convert to street shoes. The leather on those is excellent.

0411210944.jpg
0411210945.jpg

Quantum17

Reaction score
Wotking on some color.

The red pair is maybe 50s McHale golf shoes convert to street shoes. The leather on those is excellent.

View attachment 1591326 View attachment 1591327
Great colors! If it’s not too much to ask, could you share some more pics of the McHale pair? I’m super curious. It certainly understandable that McHale made golf shoes, but I don’t see that often. I mean I thought Canadian wore skates to golf (and they use pucks instead) ?

edit: awesome GH color ?

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wotking on some color.

View attachment 1591326 View attachment 1591327

Excellent work, especially on the GH. There was a time I thought getting a decent GH color was almost impossible, but my experience and seeing yours shows it is not as daunting as I once thought.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a pretty big first at the thrift store the other day: Edward Green. They've had a resole and many many miles, but I'm grabbing Edward Green at $5 in any condition. Also picked up a nice pair of AE McAllisters, all available.
IMG_6208.JPEG
IMG_6212.JPEG
IMG_6214.JPEG

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Great colors! If it’s not too much to ask, could you share some more pics of the McHale pair? I’m super curious. It certainly understandable that McHale made golf shoes, but I don’t see that often. I mean I thought Canadian wore skates to golf (and they use pucks instead) ?

edit: awesome GH color ?
I will find some before and after pictures later.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a new addition to my collection. These are 1960s Stacy Adams suede split toes. They appear to have been a custom order, as there are a few handwritten numbers inside but no sizing information. These have the black cloth tag from back when Stacy Adams made really nice shoes.
IMG_6233.JPEG
IMG_6234.JPEG
IMG_6235.JPEG
IMG_6236.JPEG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not vintage, but a couple of thrift funded eBay sourced things that go together well. Alden 987 shell LHS loafers and Gustin 16.5 oz selvage denim. View attachment 1591558

I have 2 pairs in Gustin in 13 and 12 oz. I want to try the skinny fit as I have skinny legs and thighs.

Ordered another 2 of their featherweight selvedge for the warm humid days.

The Gap pair is not really making me fall in love with selvedge.

A few pairs of Brave Star and Naked & Famous also on the way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads