• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hanover ptb in shell cordovan for work today:

IMG_20210409_1359003.jpg IMG_20210409_1144270.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hanover ptb in shell cordovan for work today:

View attachment 1590590 View attachment 1590591

I wonder if there is an appetite for a group of investors to revive a brand like Hanover.

In Canada, after Dacks went bankrupt, an investor brought it back as Matthew Dacks. An easier transition as manufacturing had been sent to England (Cheaney) years ago. So just a simple matter of calling up Cheaney to restart those models. They've kept the same lasts and some of the classic models.

Hartt also came back, albeit now made in Spain. So same name, but new manufacturer and lasts. Personally I'm not a fan. Just another Meermin or other Spanish maker.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there is an appetite for a group of investors to revive a brand like Hanover.

In Canada, after Dacks went bankrupt, an investor brought it back as Matthew Dacks. An easier transition as manufacturing had been sent to England (Cheaney) years ago. So just a simple matter of calling up Cheaney to restart those models. They've kept the same lasts and some of the classic models.

Hartt also came back, albeit now made in Spain. So same name, but new manufacturer and lasts. Personally I'm not a fan. Just another Meermin or other Spanish maker.

I would love to see a resurrected Hanover. I love the two pairs I have, and am heart broken that my lwb are falling to pieces.

They fit so comfortably, too.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walked into mine. I thought to myself: “I’m going to make him an offer he can’t refuse.” and so, I paid full asking price.

Yo, Adrian! Say hello to my little friend. My precious. Presenting 50s JCPENNY NOS black short wings.

Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. View attachment 1590502 View attachment 1590503

When did JC Penney stop making good shoes? These look stunning.

Like when should one avoid buying models?

Quantum17

Reaction score
When did JC Penney stop making good shoes? These look stunning.

Like when should one avoid buying models?
I think Hanover made shoes for Sears and JCPENNY predominately from the 60s on, but I’m not sure who made shoes for them earlier. My dating skills could be shaky too (lol, that’s a weird sentence); though, I think this pair is earlier than 60s. Usually the earlier, the better they were made, of course. I’m not sure if I’d collect 80s JCPENNY or Sears as quality started to become hit or miss.

Edit: I just noticed I got thumbs up from both Jim’s. Hey, my dating skills is alright. Look out, world!!!

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Hanover made shoes for Sears and JCPENNY predominately from the 60s on, but I’m not sure who made shoes for them earlier. My dating skills could be shaky too (lol, that’s a weird sentence); though, I think this pair is earlier than 60s. Usually the earlier, the better they were made, of course. I’m not sure if I’d collect 80s JCPENNY or Sears as quality started to become hit or miss.

Edit: I just noticed I got thumbs up from both Jim’s. Hey, my dating skills is alright. Look out, world!!!

Yeah when I see these shoes I get worried they might not be quality.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Does vintage Nettleton general runs larger than Florsheim?

I'm curious about these lizard loafers from David's list.

Anyone wearing lizard shoes? Do they wear and care similar to alligator shoes?

1618067050454.png

Seems like a good price if fit is good.

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Great day! Shot #2 done. As some of us crazy people do, I spent some brain cycles contemplating shoe choice for this occasion. Admittedly, my original plan was to wear a very rare pair of shell C&J but they are new and I didn’t have time to carefully set the rolls since I was a little tight on time.

So then it occurred to me... why not wear a pair of survivors! While they aren’t quite done I decided to bust out the McHales for the first time. I absolutely frickin love these shoes.

What a day! So very thankful to the healthcare workers around the world and all those who contributed to this scientific miracle.

CDB69ECB-9522-4CE6-A338-06DA41EA6B36.jpeg
BA4ED650-8483-4B0D-BB73-9016B449D8F6.jpeg

vestbash

Reaction score

Anyone wearing a lizard shoes? Do they wear and care similar to alligator shoes?

View attachment 1590712

I know the gent selling these shoes. If you want a better deal let me know, I am in the process of buying a small lot from him and we can group everything together for a better price.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score

Anyone wearing lizard shoes? Do they wear and care similar to alligator shoes?

View attachment 1590712

Seller provided measurements confirming Nettleton runs large: insole is 27cm and outsole is 28cm.

Quantum17

Reaction score
It’s the weekend, and I’m spamming the forum. Please humor me.

I have a pair of Florsheim old school long wing where the seams are tucked into the wing. Model 31836 was made from the mysterious Coventry calf. This pair is dated back to ‘69 (bonus point on many different levels). Another unique thing is it comes with original box. Size 11C.

I’m hoping to trade for a pair my size: 9E, 9.5 D or E, 10 C or D. Please let me know if you are interested. In case you have a special pair, I don’t mind fill in the gap to trade up.
B8018209-AD2D-48A4-9556-9FF58D4D96F2.jpeg
5F23B4A9-EAF6-4483-99D0-C66AC0E551B2.jpeg
A4272BA6-4982-4FDD-BE9B-E5AFB768305A.jpeg
867B494F-5778-458F-A7AB-646F8F1FDB72.jpeg
27664DD0-9CFE-4695-914D-1C96EC6B9126.jpeg

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s the weekend, and I’m spamming the forum. Please humor me.

I have a pair of Florsheim old school long wing where the seams are tucked into the wing. Model 31836 was made from the mysterious Coventry calf. This pair is dated back to ‘69 (bonus point on many different levels). Another unique thing is it comes with original box. Size 11C.

I’m hoping to trade for a pair my size: 9E, 9.5 D or E, 10 C or D. Please let me know if you are interested. In case you have a special pair, I don’t mind fill in the gap to trade up.
View attachment 1590803 View attachment 1590804 View attachment 1590805 View attachment 1590806 View attachment 1590807

message coming!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There was a pair of 1960s Nunn Bush long wings that sold quickly this morning. They were made in the old Nunn Bush factory based on the lettering. They looked really good but also looked a little off. Like the upper was Corfam. What do you guys think?

s-l1600.jpg

Either way, it is a good looking shoe. It might just be a stellar pair of Corfam LWBs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads