• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never had a JR replacement sole. And I have not worn the few new shoes I have that came with JR soles. So, I am really looking forward to trying then out on my shoes that are returning from the Cobbler.

I think the conventional wisdom is JR soles really are worth the cost and live up to the hype.

right_hook

Reaction score
I've been gradually working on the John McHale bombers that I bought recently and figured I would post some preliminary thoughts and progress pics. Now I am ready to find one of the red color versions of these AND a pair of Dack's u-wings. ? ??

This is the main image from the listing (ie. as bought):
View attachment 1589610

@Jiqea , our resident expert on vintage Canadian shoes, was most kind and generous with his advice and recommendations based upon his deep experience in this realm. As others often say to those far less deserving... you are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you!

I did end up following most of these suggestions, although I deviated to a more comfortable zone as far as cream polish selection. In short, clean > condition > trees > renomat > condition > condition > cream polish > wax polish.

There are still some action items for me on these shoes before I move them into the rotation.
- In no particular order, I'd like to do some more work to clean the welts. They are better than they had been but not quite as clean as I'd like.
- I am debating whether to sand and slightly lighten the edges (this will probably be deferred for now).
- The shoes also have a pretty old topy on the soles. I am about 90% sure that the soles are in good condition but I've yet to make up my mind as to whether or not to remove the topy.
- I do still need to do some cleaning and conditioning of the lining and insole.
- I am also debating a swap to a different type of lace, although the ones I have installed seem pretty old and may be the original style, not sure.
- Finally, I am still slightly tinkering with the polish but... much like trimming a beard or mustache, I feel like I am in that zone where it might be best to leave well enough alone (tbd).

View attachment 1589628 View attachment 1589629

Great result! I try to avoid coloured cream polish on vintage shoes if its possible. Bick 4 + clear cream/wax to preserve and highlight colour variations of aged leather.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had to go downstairs to the smfdoc shoe lab and I noticed the paper cup I used for mixing dye for the GH session last week. It's a white cup when new, as seen on the left. I had to chuckle a little as I was not expecting the minimal moisture in the mix cup after I poured it out to run amok on the remainder of the cup. I am sure there is a lesson in there somewhere.

IMG_0213.jpg

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never had a JR replacement sole. And I have not worn the few new shoes I have that came with JR soles. So, I am really looking forward to trying then out on my shoes that are returning from the Cobbler.

I think the conventional wisdom is JR soles really are worth the cost and live up to the hype.

Hm. I could be dead wrong, but I thought that JR soles simply gave better durability than regular leather soles... not that they feel any different when wearing them?

I've had JR soles put on shoes, but in hindsight, was thinking that it might have been overkill since I have enough shoes in my rotation that even the regulars probably only get worn once every other week or so -- and even less with the pandemic ongoing.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I had to go downstairs to the smfdoc shoe lab and I noticed the paper cup I used for mixing dye for the GH session last week. It's a white cup when new, as seen on the left. I had to chuckle a little as I was not expecting the minimal moisture in the mix cup after I poured it out to run amok on the remainder of the cup. I am sure there is a lesson in there somewhere.

View attachment 1589785

You're gonna have to list that cup on ebay. From what i gather, golden harvest anything is selling for a pretty penny these days. ;)

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Great result! I try to avoid coloured cream polish on vintage shoes if its possible. Bick 4 + clear cream/wax to preserve and highlight colour variations of aged leather.

Thanks, agree generally. I should have explained better. There's not a whole lot of colorant on them, actually, but there are certainly areas that called for some. The biggest issue was dealing with exceedingly minor but nagging scuffs that weren't to my taste. I'd actually debated sanding them a little but didn't have the heart to do it and decided that they were so minor that concealing with wax was a better option. I'm much happier with them now and might do just a tiny bit more depending upon how I feel about them going forward.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These AE Hinsdales were fresh from a full AE recraft with JR soles I got them, and they are terrific.
8F9629EB-464E-4E4F-B719-654F495D09EA.jpeg

Waiting for a late afternoon slice at a pizzeria in Seaside, CA on a day when I was too busy to eat. Should keep the stomach from rumbling on the drive back to SFO.
5BC5E7D8-1817-43FA-80DA-C9ACA7A319B1.jpeg

Make that two slices and a drink for $6.50? Done deal.
85AFC2F5-192C-44E6-8CC0-235E61E6C623.jpeg

Anyone who hasn’t had the privilege of hearing this concert and knowing the backstory, honestly, go on YouTube and find the 'making of' video. A fantastic and emotional homecoming, with some virtuoso piano playing, too.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1589785

+1 for the Wegmans branding on that cup.

Good grocery store.

I miss Wegmans, d'Agostino, and Gristedes.

happypebble

Reaction score
@JFWR got in front of me, but I was going to say much the same--I wish there were a Wegman's where I am. Or if they could truck in a Hy-Vee from the Midwest...

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dropped a teensy-tiny screw from a watch on the carpeted floor. I couldn't find it so I had to buy a replacement. I couldn't find just the screw so I bought a used movement. It was in England. So far the shipping has been pretty quick. Let's see how the USPS measures up.

Screenshot_20210408-223234_eBay.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads