• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
So while I was doing some shoe work today, I decide to touch up my previous olive dyed 93602.

Before: lite olive.
IMG_20201228_224721_934.jpg

Now: Dark olive.

0307211745a.jpg
0307211745.jpg
0307211744.jpg

Which shade do you prefer?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I posted about this before but want to repeat to see if it can help others. I had tried using leave-in hair conditioner to condition shoes. It seems to work really well for me. These 93602 were dry and needed conditioning. After one round of the leave in hair conditioner, the leather was moist and supple. After the second round, the leather seems great.

Summary: cheap ($5), works, and smells good.

View attachment 1569603

This must have been the Forest Gump's secret weapon. Caffeinated shoe cream. I like it.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just found a pair of vintage Florsheim I didn’t have! 97625 and I confirmed these are the good ones!

70C16BAC-B586-4A27-9385-CEF5993CDE4F.jpeg

Quantum17

Reaction score
With my Golden Harvest envy that I can't satiate, I was planning to strip a 93602 to dye yellow for a mustard color.

With plan A, I tried to strip these but not much dye was removed. Maybe my Angelus deglazer and acetone nail polish remover were too weak.

So with plan B, I will try to sun fade (a la Doc's previous supposition) to lighten a couple shade to see if it can work.

With GH, there are many shades produced. Some were very yellow and some were golden tan. These 93602 are kind of lighter British tan so I am hoping it won't take too much to lighten.

View attachment 1569598
May I ask what’s your size?

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a nearly-new pair and they are lookers!

View attachment 1569621

I wonder what the difference is between the 93602 and 97625. I know the early 90’s 97625 are excellent. They both are made of cashmere calf, similar color, storm welt, double sole, etc.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
I wonder what the difference is between the 93602 and 97625. I know the early 90’s 97625 are excellent. They both are made of cashmere calf, similar color, storm welt, double sole, etc.

To me both are high quality pebbled calf leather, but the 93602 leather is slightly thicker than 97265. (I have four 93602 and four 97625.)

I did a quick compare just yesterday.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
To me both are high quality pebbled calf leather, but the 93602 leather is slightly thicker than 97265. (I have four 93602 and four 97625.)

I did a quick compare just yesterday.

Have you noticed any minor fit differences across your 8 pairs. I currently have 1 pair of each but I have had another couple of pairs of 93602s in the past. I am about to resell my 97625s since they are a hair narrow for me. I should caution that they are a width narrower than my ideal size in Florsheim. However, I have worn this size in much more heavily worn in 93602s in the past. My 97625s are almost new so I am not sure if there is a slight size difference, it's a wear issue, or just unit variation irrespective of model.

I haven't noticed a leather thickness difference, although I have to admit that I hadn't thought to compare. The 97625s seem to more commonly have great color depth in the grain, which I am quite fond of.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Have you noticed any minor fit differences across your 8 pairs. I currently have 1 pair of each but I have had another couple of pairs of 93602s in the past. I am about to resell my 97625s since they are a hair narrow for me. I should caution that they are a width narrower than my ideal size in Florsheim. However, I have worn this size in much more heavily worn in 93602s in the past. My 97625s are almost new so I am not sure if there is a slight size difference, it's a wear issue, or just unit variation irrespective of model.

I haven't noticed a leather thickness difference, although I have to admit that I hadn't thought to compare. The 97625s seem to more commonly have great color depth in the grain, which I am quite fond of.

I think they fit the same but my experience is similar to yours. The 97625 were NOS while 93602s are used and more broken in. Thus the 93602 were slightly more roomy.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With my Golden Harvest envy that I can't satiate, I was planning to strip a 93602 to dye yellow for a mustard color.

With plan A, I tried to strip these but not much dye was removed. Maybe my Angelus deglazer and acetone nail polish remover were too weak.

So with plan B, I will try to sun fade (a la Doc's previous supposition) to lighten a couple shade to see if it can work.

With GH, there are many shades produced. Some were very yellow and some were golden tan. These 93602 are kind of lighter British tan so I am hoping it won't take too much to lighten.

View attachment 1569598

I have been thinking that a stripped pair would remove the tan and they would look quite similar to GH color. Take some pictures when they get stripped. You might already be quite close at that point.

KotaB

Reaction score
I took the camels out for a walk today -- Hartt camel leather PTDs.

View attachment 1568404

I also went to pick up a pair of black shell MacNeils that I had put in for some work at the cobbler.

This is the pair I got in a trade with @suitforcourt late last year. These were not his shoes, but just a pair that he had picked up.

They were probably significantly too large for their previous owner, so he put in thick pads under the tongues and had sewn in thick spongy liners at the back of the heel.

View attachment 1568405

View attachment 1568406

The tongue pads were easy enough to pull off. I just had to use a lot of nail polish remover to get rid of the leftover adhesive.

The heel pads were more problematic. They had been stuck on and sewn in, so I used a seam ripper to carefully remove the stitching and then pulled out the pads... but chunks of the original soft leather liner came out with them. :(

View attachment 1568407

I ended up taking them to my cobbler for some work. They somehow patched up the gouged out parts to make the back of the heel cup smooth again, and then applied and sewed in a thin leather liner. The color doesn't match, but was all they had to choose from. Overall, as usual, their work is nicely done.

View attachment 1568408

Time to get some good use out of these puppies!

View attachment 1568409
I know it blasphemy but I never quite understood the passion for shell. But this right here may just have awoken a troublesome desire.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1569598
Alberto Suarstez (who has serious patina and dye skills) from the FB group has a formula for the transformation. Here it is along with his results. Alberto can do this for you. I’m not sure what he charges. I can make an intro if you are interested.
D40119E7-F22C-4706-80B4-5B1B60C99C60.jpeg
C5C46888-7D7D-4431-88C7-B88E2FFB7032.png

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it blasphemy but I never quite understood the passion for shell. But this right here may just have awoken a troublesome desire.
For me the appeal is rooted in making other people who love shell jealous when I post pictures of my shell. I’m pretty sure others buy shell because of this same shallow motivation...

OK, seriously, when it well taken care of and in good shape, shell’s natural variation in color and patina is just spectacular.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads