• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quantum17

Reaction score
Gentlemen, the below pair of shoes is up there with some of my best finds ever. I've been on a mission to acquire some of the premier vintage shoes that were made in Canada and have been scouring the planet for great finds. This particular pair fell into my lap and in a stroke of fortuitous timing they happen to be listed for sale while @Jiqea was on an ice fishing trip, which almost certainly allowed me to secure the purchase while he was asleep at the rod or sipping schnapps or whatever.

These were originally listed as a size 10 with no width listed and no photos showing the width. I bought them anyway only to find out that they were, in fact, a 9B. Big time bummer since there is zero chance that I can fit into a B and certainly not a 9 either. Nonetheless, considering the rarity of this shoe and that fact that it was NOS, I decided to purchase them anyway. Half of that decision was, frankly, just to check them out since I was really curious about the construction and leather quality. Anyway, behold... I tend to doubt there is another NOS pair of these around anywhere but I guess you never know. I can't tell you how much I wish they were a 10.

These are probably about 60 years old give or take a few years. They arrived in pretty remarkable shape all considered but I wiped them down, gave them two coats of Bick4, touched them up sparingly with some light brown and dark brown MdO cream polish, and a coat of mahogany MdO wax polish.

View attachment 1569208

View attachment 1569209

View attachment 1569207
Wowza, I count 10 nails at the waist and 3 at the tip. That’s a lots more Fe than Flo-Flo ??

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
What would you prefer for your collection? Golden Harvest or these rarer Bourbon Windsor?

I can't find a GH so these are just a good for the collection.

0307211206.jpg
0307211212.jpg

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am really a 10D or E but can also wear a wide 9.5 and in some shoes a 10.5.

So even 10.5C, or 9.5ee/9.5eee would work. Got it. If I ever find a vintage Canadian pair in those sizes, I will send them to you. Thrift stores are reopening Monday.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
So even 10.5C, or 9.5ee/9.5eee would work. Got it. If I ever find a vintage Canadian pair in those sizes, I will send them to you. Thrift stores are reopening Monday.

Yes, indeed. Thank you, sir!

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, the below pair of shoes is up there with some of my best finds ever. I've been on a mission to acquire some of the premier vintage shoes that were made in Canada and have been scouring the planet for great finds. This particular pair fell into my lap and in a stroke of fortuitous timing they happen to be listed for sale while @Jiqea was on an ice fishing trip, which almost certainly allowed me to secure the purchase while he was asleep at the rod or sipping schnapps or whatever.

These were originally listed as a size 10 with no width listed and no photos showing the width. I bought them anyway only to find out that they were, in fact, a 9B. Big time bummer since there is zero chance that I can fit into a B and certainly not a 9 either. Nonetheless, considering the rarity of this shoe and that fact that it was NOS, I decided to purchase them anyway. Half of that decision was, frankly, just to check them out since I was really curious about the construction and leather quality. Anyway, behold... I tend to doubt there is another NOS pair of these around anywhere but I guess you never know. I can't tell you how much I wish they were a 10.

These are probably about 60 years old give or take a few years. They arrived in pretty remarkable shape all considered but I wiped them down, gave them two coats of Bick4, touched them up sparingly with some light brown and dark brown MdO cream polish, and a coat of mahogany MdO wax polish.

View attachment 1569208

View attachment 1569209

View attachment 1569207

Did Bret Hart put you in the sharp shooter as soon as you put these babies on?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Summoning @Oshare!! Not mine but I got one for you brotha....

Note pic #9 stain on the inner heel counter. I feel like this pattern is less common than the longwing.

You tempt me!
They're similar in style and color to a pair of Footjoys that have been waiting for me in the US since last April.

Footjoy wingtips 1.jpg

I'm trying to focus on stuff I don't have yet, and not sure if I need yet another pair of brown calf wingtips... besides, I'm running out of space to keep all these shoes and shoe boxes are already creeping into a corner of the bedroom. :p

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
You tempt me!
They're similar in style and color to a pair of Footjoys that have been waiting for me in the US since last April.

View attachment 1569574

I'm trying to focus on stuff I don't have yet, and not sure if I need yet another pair of brown calf wingtips... besides, I'm running out of space to keep all these shoes and shoe boxes are already creeping into a corner of the bedroom. :p

....but are they Cordwainer Wright?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
You tempt me!

View attachment 1569574

Last message was very brief --- got pulled away for kid duty. But quite honestly, on balance, I prefer your Footjoys to the CW pair. I prefer the swoopy pattern by the neck, the pattern in the vamp area looks better, and I like the stitching on your pair better. I'd pass on the pair that I found as well... I will try harder next time. :brick:

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
What would you prefer for your collection? Golden Harvest or these rarer Bourbon Windsor?

I can't find a GH so these are just a good for the collection.

View attachment 1569333 View attachment 1569345

With my Golden Harvest envy that I can't satiate, I was planning to strip a 93602 to dye yellow for a mustard color.

With plan A, I tried to strip these but not much dye was removed. Maybe my Angelus deglazer and acetone nail polish remover were too weak.

So with plan B, I will try to sun fade (a la Doc's previous supposition) to lighten a couple shade to see if it can work.

With GH, there are many shades produced. Some were very yellow and some were golden tan. These 93602 are kind of lighter British tan so I am hoping it won't take too much to lighten.

0307211742.jpg

Last edited:

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
I posted about this before but want to repeat to see if it can help others. I had tried using leave-in hair conditioner to condition shoes. It seems to work really well for me. These 93602 were dry and needed conditioning. After one round of the leave in hair conditioner, the leather was moist and supple. After the second round, the leather seems great.

Summary: cheap ($5), works, and smells good.

0307211742b.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 38.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 29 18.5%

Forum statistics

Threads