• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Followup on my shipping maladies. Apparently it takes a LONG time for Pony Express these days@

Screenshot_20210302-172617_eBay.jpg

But the item is in Oregon now, so things are looking up.

Quantum17

Reaction score
We should have a @davidVC creative writing contest. Like the Edward Bulwer Lytton contest they used to have at San Jose State. @friendlygoz will remember this. All entries had to begin with “It was a dark and stormy night...” .
It was a dark and stormy night. The neon sign across the street flickered. It’s dry in here. Maybe not as dry as the Talisker straight from the bottle. The rotary phone rang. A soft nervous voice on the other end.

-Are you Samuel Sung, the famous detective?

-You can call me Sam. How can I be of assistance?

-Thank you for taking my call, Mr. Sam Sung. My name is Fuji McIntosh. It’s my husband. I’m worried about him. He started hanging out with this group recently. They call themselves the SF. My husband, he keeps checking on this mysterious figure DavidVC on his phone. Our home is now full of vintage shoes. So much so that we now have to use them for purposes beyond footwear. I have been drinking out of a left vintage 50s Florsheim cap toe for a week now. It doesn’t taste good. It’s maddening.

-Whoa, that’s a lot to take in. I promise you I will rescue him from this cult. Meanwhile, I’m glad you didn’t drink from one of the perforated brogue. I heard they have tendency to reduce volume.

And so, I started looking into this SF group, and this fella @davidVC . It turned out VC wasn’t referring to Viet Cong, a guerrilla group. But a strange fashion design; though, still could be as lethal. It has been months since I infiltrated the group under a pseudonym quantum17, and I can honestly say Mr. McIntosh is fine and well. Fuji was probably way overreactive. Water tastes perfectly fine from a left vintage 50s Florsheim cap toe.

PS: if you like, please send shoes and hotdogs to Tampa. Don’t put them in the same package, however ?

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Followup on my shipping maladies. Apparently it takes a LONG time for Pony Express these days@

View attachment 1566269

But the item is in Oregon now, so things are looking up.

You are doing better than me. When I just checked a USPS tracking it said they were having difficulties and had no information. Yesterday when I checked, the tracking said it was out for delivery — EXCEPT it was out for delivery back to the sender. Who knows where it is now.

I know all the shippers are completely swamped right now. But, if I can send something today on FedEx and it will be anywhere in the US first thing in the morning, they should be able to send something that takes less than a week to go from Illinois to Tennessee.

Hell they could have floated it down the Mississippi!

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Modded 93602s today. I dyed these, changed the edges to natural, and installed the grommets, all DIY.
893516F6-E9C8-4315-8DBF-826641D83655.jpeg
E5B49DB9-93B1-47D6-AF22-F6FC1BC20826.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They should have had you in the creative department at the factory back in the day. They look great.
Very kind. My answer to how to innovate? Slap on some dye, sand some stuff, and throw grommets on there.

The Sandman

Reaction score
Hi guys:
How about:
It was a dark and stormy night, the rain was blowing on to his circa 1963 model 93605 Florsheim Imperials. The reverse storm welt was already sodden with the purple shell cordovan soaked to the fourth grommet. The rain squished through the brogued toe medallions to sizzle on his spent cigarette butt.
“What do you think of these shoes, baby?” He sneered.......

Ok, the rest is up to you guys.
kilowatts
That sounds more in the style of J. Peterman to me.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look absolutely splendid, man. How long did the project take?
Thanks. I really enjoy wearing them. The dying was pretty quick. I didn't strip them before (not a great idea), and so lots of dye came off, leaving this really cool rust patina (total dumb luck). The edges took 30 mins maybe. I sanded them with coarse and then fine sandpaper. The grommets/eyelets took me 45 mins. This was the 4th pair on which I'd done this transformation, so I've gotten a lot better at doing the install. I detailed the grommet installing process here. https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...s-maintenance-and-advice.526196/post-10580076

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I really enjoy wearing them. The dying was pretty quick. I didn't strip them before (not a great idea), and so lots of dye came off, leaving this really cool rust patina (total dumb luck). The edges took 30 mins maybe. I sanded them with coarse and then fine sandpaper. The grommets/eyelets took me 45 mins. This was the 4th pair on which I'd done this transformation, so I've gotten a lot better at doing the install. I detailed the grommet installing process here. https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...s-maintenance-and-advice.526196/post-10580076

That colour is absolutely ******* gorgeous, man. It is such a rich, deep red brown. I would absolutely love to have a pair of shoes in that colour. It reminds me of the wood on my mother's 18th century bureau.

The edges were done fantastically, too. What was the original colour of the edge dressing?

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That colour is absolutely ******* gorgeous, man. It is such a rich, deep red brown. I would absolutely love to have a pair of shoes in that colour. It reminds me of the wood on my mother's 18th century bureau.

The edges were done fantastically, too. What was the original colour of the edge dressing?
Thanks. The color is Fiebings Moccasin Brown. I've used it on a couple of re-dye jobs, including these Florsheim captoes.
FE41A0BD-3E45-4C6F-B787-C36D38F1F8CA.jpeg

The edges were regular dark brown 93602 edge color. I just used Allen Edmonds nuetral edge dressing after sanding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics