• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was a dark and stormy night, and my cheaply made, foreign shoes were already soaked through, the poor quality leather bubbling, and my toes sloshing in the soaked memory foam exterior. If only I had chosen instead to wear quality shoes from yesteryear, shoes made to last a life time and face the elements, I would not now be miserable and foolish. My thoughts drifted to the golden age of quality men's shoes, whose high-quality leather would have laughed at the storm as a mere drizzle, and retain throughout the elegance I so desperately craved. My tears joined the rain as I whispered, "Damn you, Rockport, damn you to Hell."

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should write something. I was considering a write up about Footjoy.

Lots of people know they make the best golf shoes. But, they also made premium handmade dress shoes for decades. For a long time, some of their styles were on par with Alden. In fact, I’m still suspicious that Alden may have made some styles for FJ. I think some of the vintage FJ shoes are very worth collecting and represent a true quality Goodyear welted shoe.

I have three FOUR pair of vintage Foot-Joy I can photograph to support the cause.
  • Alligator loafers
  • Tassel, kiltie wingtip spectator loafers
  • Black LWB
  • Lizard golf shoes
The LWB may be the finest shoe in my closet. It is tremendous.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have three FOUR pair of vintage Foot-Joy I can photograph to support the cause.
  • Alligator loafers
  • Tassel, kiltie wingtip spectator loafers
  • Black LWB
  • Lizard golf shoes
The LWB may be the finest shoe in my closet. It is tremendous.

I have a pair of Alligator Tassel loafers, a pair of saddle shoes with a semi spade sole, a new pair of NST (2018) and I think I still have another pair of some style. But, pictures of yours would be great to include! I bet the LWB are great!

Quantum17

Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

Quantum17

Reaction score
We should have a @davidVC creative writing contest. Like the Edward Bulwer Lytton contest they used to have at San Jose State. @friendlygoz will remember this. All entries had to begin with “It was a dark and stormy night...” .
I think of myself a writer as much as Joey Chestnut thinks himself an important figure in the culinary world. But I’ll definitely join the contest given the prize will most likely be vintage shoes (tho I could settle for hotdogs as well). Ahhh, vintage shoes, light of my life, fire of my loins.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Some people make no sense to me. I'm venting here so bear with me...

Sent a note to a seller on 1/1 asking nicely if they were open to offers. Auction already had been listed for months. Get a terse reply back - not interested in offers. Fine, whatever. Happen to notice them again tonight. Same price as 2 months ago. Sent another nice note to the seller. Nope. Not interested in hearing an offer. Shoes have been listed for many months at this point. They are obviously overpriced. WTF. How many odd brand vintage dress shoe buyers are there out there that a seller is gonna send the same interested buyer packing not once... but twice.

Good riddance... told him I wouldn't bother wasting my own time or his going forward.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
This is a new one to me. I didn’t realize that Florsheim made Shell Cordovan LWB in India!

Saw that too. Likewise a mystery. Also strange is the damage to the front of the welt. How does one accomplish that? Trying to run your foot through the cheese slicer at the deli?

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw that too. Likewise a mystery. Also strange is the damage to the front of the welt. How does one accomplish that? Trying to run your foot through the cheese slicer at the deli?

That looks like the normal joint in the welt, which is normally hidden on the inside edge near the heel so it's not conspicuous like that one right on the toe.

Maybe this why we don't see too many made-in-India shell cordovan Florsheims?

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! How does Boot Black cream/wax perform when compared to Saphir MDO ?

Hi there. I just responded to your private message, but will also post it here for anyone else who is curious.

My take on it is that Boot Black makes some good polish, but I wouldn't pay $40 a bottle. Here in Japan it's about $8 for the lower end Silver line, and $10 to $12 for the upper end Black label line. At those prices, I think they are a good buy.

I normally use Saphir cremes just because I kind of baby my shoes, but I picked up a few bottles of Boot Black when I couldn't get Saphir in a color I wanted. Boot Black creams smell different, but in terms of performance I don't really notice anything significantly wonderful about them.

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hi guys:

I’ll try to do Dave.

It was a dark and stormy night. Bad part of town. NOS Dacks getting wet. Climbed to the third floor. Knocked. She opened up. She noticed.
“Not another pair”, she growled. “You’re on the sofa. Again. Buddy”, she snarled. ............

kilowatts

Last edited:

kilowatts

Reaction score
That looks like the normal joint in the welt, which is normally hidden on the inside edge near the heel so it's not conspicuous like that one right on the toe.

Hi there:

Duckie Brown made some stellar Indian shell longwings in several colours (colors). Some looked great and others looked vile.
I have two pair of Florsheim Indian suede longwings which I like a lot. Not as good as vintage but nice anyway.

kilowatts

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

You think??? You really might be right. I have never seen a welt join on the toe though. That is really pretty strange.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sharks in the park: ?skin Nassaus from 1983.
5E48391C-14BB-448D-8A0E-409E3D94A8A2.jpeg
2487A78E-38F5-46AA-BD5F-7F2C21488D58.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads