• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canadians are always at least 10 years behind.

I must regrettably advise that based on this new evidence, it is my opinion that the class action suit as proposed by @kilowatts is no longer viable.

My remaining retainer must be paid at the end of the business week. Alden Indy 403 in shell. To show our disdain for USPS, and Canada Post, let's use FedEx or UPS.

Please use FedEx (my employer) for all shipping needs.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watching the tracking history on a package sent by FedEx Ground is like a tour of small town America. The distribution centers seem to be sited in one-horse towns you've never heard of, one after the other. Reminds me of this song by Little Feat, which is worth a listen:

Chorus goes:
And I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari
Tehachapi to Tonopah
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
Driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed
And if you give me; weed, whites, and wine
And you show me a sign
I'll be willin', to be movin'

Is that the ethos of this thread, and the vintage shoe obsession, or what?

BTW the Canadian version of this will probably go from Moose Breath, Saskatchewan to Regina to who knows where. Just give it ten years.
[EDIT] @Nobleprofessor the packages always get where they're going, just by amusing routes sometimes. Peace out.

Last edited:

Quantum17

Reaction score
Watching the tracking history on a package sent by FedEx Ground is like a tour of small town America. The distribution centers seem to be sited in one-horse towns you've never heard of, one after the other. Reminds me of this song by Little Feat, which is worth a listen:

Chorus goes:
Tehachapi to Tonopah
And you show me a sign

The Canadian version of this will probably go from Moose Breath Saskatchewan to Regina to who knows where. Just give it ten years.
[EDIT] @Nobleprofessor the packages always get where they're going, just by amusing routes sometimes. Peace out.

Logistics and optimization are wonderful & incredibly challenging field. Some of the most brilliant industrial engineering minds helped build Amazon Prime 2-day shipping. It’s disappointing that the USPS couldn’t channel the same talents. Meh, I’m beating a dead shell cordovan here.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Logistics and optimization are wonderful & incredibly challenging field. Some of the most brilliant industrial engineering minds helped build Amazon Prime 2-day shipping. It’s disappointing that the USPS couldn’t channel the same talents. Meh, I’m beating a dead shell cordovan here.
The thread hilarity is at an 11 today. I love it.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chorus goes:
Tehachapi to Tonopah
And you show me a sign

Is that the ethos of this thread, and the vintage shoe obsession, or what?

BTW the Canadian version of this will probably go from Moose Breath, Saskatchewan to Regina to who knows where. Just give it ten years.

Yes, the packages do sometimes go to small little towns. I’m sure that’s because it’s hard to locate a big noisy terminal with lots of trucks working mostly at night. (It is probably my brothers fault where the center locations are. He is the manager of Real Estate and Properties so his group handles the leases on the service centers).

I actually work for FedEx Freight. We are the big trucking company. Small packages go on the Ground trucks and the overnight packages go on the Planes (Express). Freight is a less than truckload (LTL) carrier that hauls the big stuff. If somebody were to ship one pair of shoes it would go either Express or Ground. But, if you shipped 600 pairs then it might go on Freight.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the packages do sometimes go to small little towns. I’m sure that’s because it’s hard to locate a big noisy terminal with lots of trucks working mostly at night. (It is probably my brothers fault where the center locations are. He is the manager of Real Estate and Properties so his group handles the leases on the service centers).

I actually work for FedEx Freight. We are the big trucking company. Small packages go on the Ground trucks and the overnight packages go on the Planes (Express). Freight is a less than truckload (LTL) carrier that hauls the big stuff. If somebody were to ship one pair of shoes it would go either Express or Ground. But, if you shipped 600 pairs then it might go on Freight.
You had me at "600 pairs". ?

KotaB

Reaction score

Anybody have any info on David's? My research leads me to think it was maybe a Canadian Luxury Shoe Store founded in 1951. Any info will be appreciated. PS I'm not interested in the listed shoe so have it if you so desire.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Anybody have any info on David's? My research leads me to think it was maybe a Canadian Luxury Shoe Store founded in 1951. Any info will be appreciated. PS I'm not interested in the listed shoe so have it if you so desire.

I know nothing of the brand, but I would not consider those to be "pebbled." They look like shark to me.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know nothing of the brand, but I would not consider those to be "pebbled." They look like shark to me.

I am not 100% sure the shoes you've posted, are from David's shoe store in Toronto, which has folded.

David's did carry a lot of high end brands. In their dying days, they had some inhouse models made by Bally and some Italian manufacturers.

I agree with our exalted leader that these are shark. Canadian shoe companies loved exotic skins.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am not 100% sure the shoes you've posted, are from David's shoe store in Toronto, which has folded.

David's did carry a lot of high end brands. In their dying days, they had some inhouse models made by Bally and some Italian manufacturers.

I agree with our exalted leader that these are shark. Canadian shoe companies loved exotic skins.

100% certain those are Shark. I have several pair and that is what they look like.

Shark isn’t everybody’s taste. I happen to like it. But, since I’m a lawyer that makes sense. (Although referring to lawyers as Sharks is probably not intended as a compliment).

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100% certain those are Shark. I have several pair and that is what they look like.

Shark isn’t everybody’s taste. I happen to like it. But, since I’m a lawyer that makes sense. (Although referring to lawyers as Sharks is probably not intended as a compliment).

Some lawyers want to be described as a shark.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some lawyers want to be described as a shark.

Before I went in house one opposing attorney called me “Mad Dog” I took that as a compliment.

The negative nicknames don’t bother me. Lawyers have to have thick skin and big egos. But, if I had my choice of a nickname based on reputation, I would settle for “Honest and Good” (and maybe He has great shoes!).

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before I went in house one opposing attorney called me “Mad Dog” I took that as a compliment.

The negative nicknames don’t bother me. Lawyers have to have thick skin and big egos. But, if I had my choice of a nickname based on reputation, I would settle for “Honest and Good” (and maybe He has great shoes!).

I want to be known as the God Emperor, but that's just me.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to be known as the God Emperor, but that's just me.

You’ll have to take on the sandtrout skin and turn into a Sandworm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads