• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

happypebble

Reaction score
These Cordwainer Wright LWBs caught my eye. They seem to have a very deep burnt orange color and some interesting patina going on, but I'm wondering how much of that is dark polish that has been caked on.

They've got replacement top lifts, the soles are suspect, and the footbed looks like it could have some heavy wrinkling and possibly deep foot impressions... so possibly in need of a full recraft which means $$$.

But that color!

Thoughts anyone? I know Cordwainer Wright was ET Wright's top tier brand, but overall how is the quality compared to vintage Florsheims?

View attachment 1564603

View attachment 1564604

View attachment 1564605

View attachment 1564607

View attachment 1564609

View attachment 1564611 y
Your mileage may vary, but I have three pairs of Cordwainer Wrights, and I would say their quality is equal to Florsheim or Hanover. They're lovely shoes...gotta take them in for a little cobbler TLC. Definitely not cheap junk.

Last edited:

Quantum17

Reaction score
@Oshare
Not quite the same as the wrights that caught your eye but these just hit ebay and might be better starting point for a similar shoe. Not sure if you have any nettletons but I like the longwing pattern quite a lot. These are going to tempt me so I am hoping that either you or @Quantum17 buy them, haha. Usual disclaimer, not mine, yada yada.

I was so tempted to grab an O-cleat for the rotation, but alas I held strong. What a proud moment! I stared temptation in the eyes and said Not Today... maybe tomorrow ?

Quantum17

Reaction score
Lol came across this McHale matchbook and can’t help myself. If I remember correctly either McHale factory got burned down at one point or their rival Dack’s did. Either way, this legendary matchbook missed a match; hence, the $8 price tag instead of 50 cents. On a lighter note ? this is a historical opportunity @Jiqea

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're interested in Nunn Bush these might be worth a look. Not mine. 11B

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These Cordwainer Wright LWBs caught my eye. They seem to have a very deep burnt orange color and some interesting patina going on, but I'm wondering how much of that is dark polish that has been caked on.

They've got replacement top lifts, the soles are suspect, and the footbed looks like it could have some heavy wrinkling and possibly deep foot impressions... so possibly in need of a full recraft which means $$$.

But that color!

Thoughts anyone? I know Cordwainer Wright was ET Wright's top tier brand, but overall how is the quality compared to vintage Florsheims?

View attachment 1564603

View attachment 1564604

View attachment 1564605

View attachment 1564607

View attachment 1564609

View attachment 1564611

Oh well.

I asked the seller about the condition of the insoles and outsoles, to which he replied that he believes they don't have excessive wear.

But on Yahoo's auctions, Q&A are publicly visible. 20 minutes after he responded, and before I saw my email, someone else decided to snatch them.

Maybe I'll go look at some Nettletons now...

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the advice I need when I'm over thinking what to do on a shoe. Chill.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 13D and the Aberdeen is the Alden last that fits closest to standard sizing, so I know they'll work. I have other pairs on that last and they are just right for me. No need to size down a half like with Barrie or Van.
View attachment 1564752

I am still struggling to determine my best fitting Alden last and size. I have a few pair of Aberdeen in 11D and 10.5D.

I have determined that Barrie in 11D is too long and too wide EXCEPT I have one pair of Barrie 11D that fit fine in terms of width.

AND I have a plaza last in 10.5C that fits. And other Barrie last that are 11C.

The summary is I wish I knew which size and which last is consistently the correct one for me.

One thing that is very positive is I know what my size is in vintage Florsheim!

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would probably max out at about $200 today. But if it were a unicorn or grail shoe, I would probably go quite a bit higher.

Looking through my past purchases, I was a bit shocked to see that I once paid $560 for a pair of used John Lobb monkstraps which I still wear from time to time. I also paid a bit over $300 for a pair of vintage Church's captoes that, to my dismay, I then had to sink another $160 into for re-crafting. These episodes were before I discovered vintage miUSA and miCanada brands and my view on quality shoes and their value has changed significantly.

More recently, the most I paid was about $320 for this pair of white Florsheim LWBs last year. I really had second thoughts all the way up to bidding at the last second (I was the only bidder)... but this was a unicorn that I figured I would never see again.

View attachment 1561612
@Oshare
Not quite the same as the wrights that caught your eye but these just hit ebay and might be better starting point for a similar shoe. Not sure if you have any nettletons but I like the longwing pattern quite a lot. These are going to tempt me so I am hoping that either you or @Quantum17 buy them, haha. Usual disclaimer, not mine, yada yada.

Did somebody mention Nettleton? :devil:
View attachment 1564740
Oh, I didn't realize we were dropping nettleton pics to work on @Oshare
View attachment 1564741
Almost forgot the gators!
View attachment 1564744

I see all these good looking Nettleton and raise you:

NOS Nettleton Shell in the original plaid Nettleton Shoe Bags and with the original Horween paper hang tag. AND they are Shortwing Bals!

6E61B2B6-215D-4976-851F-C60F962D4C11.jpeg
1914FF92-DD37-4EDB-BCB4-C17E4D3813AA.jpeg

I also have a mystery thrift find to show.

I saw these and the patina had me intrigued immediately.Then I saw they NST.

These are labeled Wm. B. Smith. I have never heard of them as a manufacturer. I wonder if it is a store that has someone make their shoes. Another interesting thing is they are made of soft supple Deer Skin.

I really wish they fit me! I purposely didn’t clean them up because I wanted to show the patina.

677C329C-086F-4CF4-9B15-CD968ACAABAA.jpeg
8A3B19FE-65A3-4473-A9AB-3C2FCD5167E4.jpeg
D815FB47-56EF-4436-88FE-9FD633EB47B1.jpeg
133DD991-068A-49F2-8118-9296620915B4.jpeg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hey Guys:

I think we have a legitimate class action lawsuit against Canada Post for egregiously using one of our slogans. Naturally I'll rely on Suit's legal opinion. Please see below:

View attachment 1565223

klilowatts

That is simply amazing. I think you're just going to have to figure some way to "borrow" that sign for your shoe closet. Maybe you'll get lucky and draw @suitforcourt for pro bono defense if your plan goes south.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys:

I think we have a legitimate class action lawsuit against Canada Post for egregiously using one of our slogans. Naturally I'll rely on Suit's legal opinion. Please see below:

View attachment 1565223

klilowatts
That is simply amazing. I think you're just going to have to figure some way to "borrow" that sign for your shoe closet. Maybe you'll get lucky and draw @suitforcourt for pro bono defense if your plan goes south.

If any member here liberates that Canada Post sign and gets charged criminally, not only will I defend pro bono, but we'll shame Canada Post into a juicy settlement. I anticipate enough money so none of the members here are ever in want of vintage shoes.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Postal slogan appropriation! The USPS was using that tag line ten years ago. View attachment 1565366

Canadians are always at least 10 years behind.

I must regrettably advise that based on this new evidence, it is my opinion that the class action suit as proposed by @kilowatts is no longer viable.

My remaining retainer must be paid at the end of the business week. Alden Indy 403 in shell. To show our disdain for USPS, and Canada Post, let's use FedEx or UPS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics