• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Ok, I tried a custom mix (on a plate) of burgundy, dark brown, and light brown MdO creams applied as thinly as possible. Then I went over the whole shoe with mahogany wax polish with an extra coat or two on the toes and heels. Definitely less pale then before... Not at @Oshare levels of awesome but better.

I think the shoes are the same color just lighting. Would like to take a look outside but pouring rain. Also tempted to try to turn the welt stitching white but dont have the time to mess with it right now.

IMG_1244.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I tried a custom mix (on a plate) of burgundy, dark brown, and light brown MdO creams applied as thinly as possible. Then I went over the whole shoe with mahogany wax polish with an extra coat or two on the toes and heels. Definitely less pale then before... Not at @Oshare levels of awesome but better.

I think the shoes are the same color just lighting. Would like to take a look outside but pouring rain. Also tempted to try to turn the welt stitching white but dont have the time to mess with it right now.

View attachment 1563746

I think you can be referred to Her Majesty to be recognized as an honourary Canadian. I love this pair.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I think you can be referred to Her Majesty to be recognized as an honourary Canadian. I love this pair.

Thank you, sir! In a moment of weakness, I just realized that I neglected to take a "before" pic so the best I have is the seller's image which isn't especially color accurate. This pic is a little more orangey looking, incidentally... in reality, they were less vibrant and more yellowish, I think.

1614449229769.png

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
@suitforcourt get your retainer agreements ready. Things are about to heat up on the Canadian shoe litigation front. This is up there with among the crazier stories I have ever seen from a shoemaker.

eta: apologies for the off topic'ish post here... just seemed of general interest considering our northern brothers.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These popped up in my searches. No pictures of the insole, so I'm not sure if they are Crosby Square or not. Size 8C so they won't work for me but maybe one of you gents can pick 'em up.

Screenshot_20210227-120937_eBay.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@suitforcourt get your retainer agreements ready. Things are about to heat up on the Canadian shoe litigation front. This is up there with among the crazier stories I have ever seen from a shoemaker.

eta: apologies for the off topic'ish post here... just seemed of general interest considering our northern brothers.

I will comment with the greatest of respect to those who got involved.

How dumb can some people really be? It was a scam from beginning to end. Give up my tax info to a shoe company? Come on.

I don't consider myself the sharpest tool in the shed. But I have a healthy dose of sarcasm and doubt.

This story is sad.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I will comment with the greatest of respect to those who got involved.

How dumb can some people really be? It was a scam from beginning to end. Give up my tax info to a shoe company? Come on.

I don't consider myself the sharpest tool in the shed. But I have a healthy dose of sarcasm and doubt.

This story is sad.

100% agree, although I didn't express that comment over there since not helpful for the guy that was scammed...

It's nonetheless astonishing that Dayton would try to pull this. They've been struggling (clearly). This is going to be the end of their story. A shame, really. The product was excellent based upon the boots that I bought a bunch of years ago. Not Viberg but similar to Truman quality minus the leather selection.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100% agree, although I didn't express that comment over there since not helpful for the guy that was scammed...

It's nonetheless astonishing that Dayton would try to pull this. They've been struggling (clearly). This is going to be the end of their story. A shame, really. The product was excellent based upon the boots that I bought a bunch of years ago. Not Viberg but similar to Truman quality minus the leather selection.

I've contemplated buying a pair of their boots. But not a lot of choice for style, and too bulky. For the price point, I'd rather stick with Boulet or WM Moorby in terms of Canadian made boots. Viberg is that next level like Alden.

Quantum17

Reaction score
The secret agent, let’s call him Qwerty, has gone rogue. It has been almost a year since he made contact with his handler. Rumor on Prague’s cobblestone streets has it that he’s hiding in Tampa with the shoes he loves. It’s always about the shoes. The ever so predictable shoes romance that interferes with greatness, but also creates juicy dramas in parallel. Some are red; some are Golden (Harvest). The older the sexier.

They are closing in. Our protagonist Qwerty can’t help but looking over his chisel shoulders at every corner. There are mornings he feels so bad that he tries to kill himself by taking a thousand aspirin. But after the first two, he feels much better.

Fortunately, Qwerty is a master of disguise ?. Last time I checked, the chase was still on. Though that pile of brown leaves just sneezed. Did anyone notice the 60s (could be late 50s) Dack’s wholecuts water bison?
254C6771-0ED9-4F43-90AC-E6038359FFF1.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The secret agent, let’s call him Qwerty, has gone rogue. It has been almost a year since he made contact with his handler. Rumor on Prague’s cobblestone streets has it that he’s hiding in Tampa with the shoes he loves. It’s always about the shoes. The ever so predictable shoes romance that interferes with greatness, but also creates juicy dramas in parallel. Some are red; some are Golden (Harvest). The older the sexier.

They are closing in. Our protagonist Qwerty can’t help but looking over his chisel shoulders at every corner. There are mornings he feels so bad that he tries to kill himself by taking a thousand aspirin. But after the first two, he feels much better.

Fortunately, Qwerty is a master of disguise ?. Last time I checked, the chase was still on. Though that pile of brown leaves just sneezed. Did anyone notice the 60s (could be late 50s) Dack’s wholecuts water bison?
View attachment 1563999

Those are like, perfect fall coloured shoes. Wow.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I've contemplated buying a pair of their boots. But not a lot of choice for style, and too bulky. For the price point, I'd rather stick with Boulet or WM Moorby in terms of Canadian made boots. Viberg is that next level like Alden.

Not necessarily that bulky. It's a while ago but I had my service boots built unstructured and, as far as service boots go, they were pretty sleek. Very similar to Viberg 2030. I sold them years ago due to mis-sizing. They also used to have some special-ish leather options. Nothing at all like some other makers but the leather on my pair was very nice.

From what I heard they started outsourcing their boots maybe about two years ago. And at this point, that company is about to go through some things so all the above is completely academic and irrelevant, lol.

Bertrand

Reaction score
I've got a couple of their colored shoe cream polishes. I like them and I know their products have a great reputation, but I'm not sure if they are all that special. I live in Tokyo, so Boot Black products are easy to come by and not very expensive. Not sure if I'd pay $40 for a bottle.

How much does Boot Black usually cost in Japan? It’s about 30-40ish in USA

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much does Boot Black usually cost in Japan? It’s about 30-40ish in USA

The lower end "Silver" line goes for about $8.50 a jar and the higher end black line is about $11 to $13 a jar.
Unfortunately international one-off shipping would quickly eat up any price arbitrage opportunity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads