• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi my fellow vintage shoe friends, I am new to vintage shoes..

1. What are the best shoe trees for vintage shoes? (Other than original lasted tree)

2.Are the “shoe tree with spring” (for example Nordstrom generic tree or Woodlore Epic tree) good? I heard that people say the spring would somewhat expand the shoes into a excessive extend.. is it real?
These are my favorite trees, besides the Alden trees made by Rochester Shoe Tree Co. Shoes are Florsheim 93602s and Peal & Co by Crockett & Jones punch captoes with a fresh JR soles recraft that somebody never never came back to pick up at my cobblers. Luckily in my size.
0A4F71E4-F03F-4E13-B4C0-4AF04C1F0DD6.jpeg

Last edited:

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of NB spectators, probably late '50s. The white was more of an off-white; I didn't know if that was due to age or if that was the true color. White shoe cream was all I could find.

View attachment 1563436
That’s colored leather right? The only reason I’m working on mine is because the catalog told me that it was buck underneath

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s colored leather right? The only reason I’m working on mine is because the catalog told me that it was buck underneath
Yep, white leather. I'm not sure what you call the grain, though. It's certainly not pebble. More like gravel.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope. WAAAYYY out of my price range. I can talk my way out of a $50 purchase but Mrs. Nealjpage would gladly serve a manslaughter sentence if I were to drop $500 on a pair of shoes.

You?

I also did not buy a pair.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope. WAAAYYY out of my price range. I can talk my way out of a $50 purchase but Mrs. Nealjpage would gladly serve a manslaughter sentence if I were to drop $500 on a pair of shoes.

You?

I laughed really hard at the "would gladly serve a manslaughter sentence" portion.

I of course wish no ill will towards any member of the brotherhood. But if she is ever charged, have her contact me. I will apply for permission to receive a temporary license in your state and I will defend her pro bono.

I am confident I have a viable defence for her.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mrs. Nealjpage and I went out for supper tonight (probably to celebrate my not spending $500 on that EG sale, even though I didn't tell her about it) where I had a mediocre steak but it was wonderful because we left the kids somewhere else. Oh, and I wore these Cole-Haan saddles.

20210226_194825.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My daughter has corrected me me that underneath they are ivory.
View attachment 1563444

Ivory is a great description. I was going to say "Bone and black" spectators. They are getting better and will look terrific when you are done.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi my fellow vintage shoe friends, I am new to vintage shoes..

1. What are the best shoe trees for vintage shoes? (Other than original lasted tree)

2.Are the “shoe tree with spring” (for example Nordstrom generic tree or Woodlore Epic tree) good? I heard that people say the spring would somewhat expand the shoes into a excessive extend.. is it real?

Most of my trees are Woodlore Epics, and I recommend them. I have a few pairs where something about the last doesn't play well with that shape, so I use Jos. A. Bank trees - a mix of solid and split-toe.

I created an "Everything You Want to Know" about trees on Reddit's GYW sub a few years ago (not that I know everything), and it generated some great conversation and insight. Here's the (sorta) net for me:
  • If heavily-worn (rainy day, hot day, long day, long and hot day :), etc.), give the shoes some time to air out before inserting trees. An hour is recommended by many, but sometimes that means I forget and don't get back to them until the next day, so do whatever is consistent with getting trees in the shoes sooner than later. The point is to let as much moisture exit the shoes as possible, and the trees can generally deal with the rest.
  • Use unsealed wood trees, preferably cedar as it has excellent moisture absorption and is both anti-fungal and anti-microbial. As a bonus, every few years you can lightly sand the trees to renew these properties.
  • Any tree is better than no tree, but it is important to avoid creating a lot of tension in the shoe, especially in the heel area. This tension can stretch the shoe. Split toe is generally better than a solid toe, both for the filling of the toe area and air movement. Avoid trees with a small heel since it can leave the shape in the shoe (many trees make a "handle" out of the heel section). I like a tree with a full, heel-shaped heel (like the Epic). An inexpensive solid tree with a rounded heel is fine (Jos. A. Bank used to have great sales on their trees), and probably 90%+ the value of a spiffy Epic. The key is to not over-size the tree and create tension. I'd much rather have a tree firmly inserted in the toe and have zero tension at the heel than a tree I have to really jam in there. My recommendation would be "When in doubt, size down."
On a side note, it's my understanding that Woodlore makes a massive percentage of the USA-made trees you'll find marketed under other brands. They make a variety of styles, but as recently as a couple years ago the trees you'd find at Jos. A Bank, Nordstrom Rack, etc. were Woodlore-made.

I have so many Epics because MassDrop (now just called Drop) would run what amounted to a Buy-One-Get-One sale, which made them a very decent deal. It looks like they haven't run that deal in a while, so Cedar Elements on Amazon is an option (not Woodlore-made, but nice).

Last edited:

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ivory is a great description. I was going to say "Bone and black" spectators. They are getting better and will look terrific when you are done.
Thanks. It's fun, as you know. I have found a little staining, under the white gunk, on the other shoe. So I have to go out and get an eraser this morning. May clean them again after. Think another cleaning is too much? Any comments appreciated.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
@Oshare Sorry to trouble you with a topic from a couple weeks back. For your new camel Dack's on the subject of the polish that made them looks so super... am I correct in thinking that you used cream polish? I have the same color but only in the wax polish... I think I am going to give it a shot anyway. There's less color in wax polish but we'll see what happens. Just figured I would double check if you happen to drop by.

egh, nevermind... I looked up your post and you specified cream polish already. maybe I will mix something... will see what I have on hand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads