• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ZePrez

Reaction score
Nope. They're not dry any more. Now they're just waxy.
Hi

Have you tried a bit of neutral wax on them? Try Saphir BDC or Médaille d’Or Neutral wax. Just a bit all over. Or Collonil 1909 Supreme Creme de Luxe. Both impart IMHO a wonderful deep shine to Cordovan.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For sure over 400. I think it's likely they will go over 500 as well. I was being sarcastic.

I knew you were being sarcastic. A NOS Pair of Florsheim Shell are always going to be way more than $100 unless it’s a big mistake and somebody got an amazing bargain.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew you were being sarcastic. A NOS Pair of Florsheim Shell are always going to be way more than $100 unless it’s a big mistake and somebody got an amazing bargain.
...and if there is such a somebody it would be @CWOyaji. ?

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NOS shell for <$100? It's happened before.
45B8373A-9975-425B-BC2B-385843690623_4_5005_c.jpeg

Kind of felt like taking candy from a baby, but sometimes ebay transactions go the other way so I'll take the good with the bad.
IMG_2422.JPG

They went for about $400 to a japanese buyer who hit the BIN price and paid immediately. Left positive feedback too!
IMG_2424.JPG

Last edited:

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Have you tried a bit of neutral wax on them? Try Saphir BDC or Médaille d’Or Neutral wax. Just a bit all over. Or Collonil 1909 Supreme Creme de Luxe. Both impart IMHO a wonderful deep shine to Cordovan.
Yep. I've tried Collonil. But the problem is that as soon as I brush them the surface goes from smooth to sticky. It's like the heat from the brush is melting the surface.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Yep. I've tried Collonil. But the problem is that as soon as I brush them the surface goes from smooth to sticky. It's like the heat from the brush is melting the surface.

I think we are in about the same boat with my shell Aldens that I was talking about earlier in the week. I set them aside and stopped messing with them temporarily. In the next week or so I am going to scrub them down with dish soap or maybe saddle soap then I am going to set them aside for a few months probably. I think they are just over conditioned. I suspect that's the issue you are dealing with as well.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we are in about the same boat with my shell Aldens that I was talking about earlier in the week. I set them aside and stopped messing with them temporarily. In the next week or so I am going to scrub them down with dish soap or maybe saddle soap then I am going to set them aside for a few months probably. I think they are just over conditioned. I suspect that's the issue you are dealing with as well.
Brushing makes it sticky? What does acetone do? Are you getting color or wax off of the surface?

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brushing makes it sticky? What does acetone do? Are you getting color or wax off of the surface?
Try 100% acetone. I have to believe that would take off whatever residue is on there.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

It's kinda hard to describe. I haven't run into this before. The shell is a little tacky feeling to me. If I drag my finger over it with some pressure I can see a little more shine but still not right. When I brush them it gets that more matte look. I need to reup my acetone, dont have any on hand right now. I worked on them somewhat aggressively with alcohol, which isnt really ideal. I did get a decent amount of color off the surface, yes, although I think it was more wax than dye from the shell. There is no wax on them at this point. My pair are just saturated, I am pretty sure...

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's kinda hard to describe. I haven't run into this before. The shell is a little tacky feeling to me. If I drag my finger over it with some pressure I can see a little more shine but still not right. When I brush them it gets that more matte look. I need to reup my acetone, dont have any on hand right now. I worked on them somewhat aggressively with alcohol, which isnt really ideal. I did get a decent amount of color off the surface, yes, although I think it was more wax than dye from the shell. There is no wax on them at this point. My pair are just saturated, I am pretty sure...
I wonder if the previous owner put mink oil on them. I bought a pair of AEs once, and the seller coated them with mink oil. It ruined the leather, which had the same tacky feel that you describe.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we going to see pictures of these projects? And where is @Shoonoob? He would have something to say about this.

nikolau

Reaction score
After a hiatus from shoe science instigated by the purchase of NOS shell longwings (to the earlier conversation of the most I’ve ever paid for shoes), I was pulled back into it by this pair of 7 eyelet 5th Aves. Couldn’t resist them.

Does anyone know when these might be from?
AF2F94AF-5D20-4D87-AB8D-CF809317A56B.jpeg
BBE21355-C1FF-4C69-ADBE-2652280375CF.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads