• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I tied my own record for how much I would pay for a vintage shoe at $400CDN (about 320USD), but these 1952-1958 S,E. Dacks "Cambridge" U-wings are my preferred size (10.5D) and I will never see another pair, so what the hell. Life is short.

The advert is from 1953, although that pair has grommets while mine has blind eyelets.

View attachment 1562135 View attachment 1562136 View attachment 1562137 View attachment 1562138
View attachment 1562145

We need some pictures when you get them all cleaned up!

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Well I tied my own record for how much I would pay for a vintage shoe at $400CDN (about 320USD), but these 1952-1958 S,E. Dacks "Cambridge" U-wings are my preferred size (10.5D) and I will never see another pair, so what the hell. Life is short.

The advert is from 1953, although that pair has grommets while mine has blind eyelets.

View attachment 1562135 View attachment 1562136 View attachment 1562137 View attachment 1562138
View attachment 1562145

It may be that only you and the seller are aware of how rare and special this model is.

The seller priced all the other shoes below $100 CAN and this one at $400 CAN.

Did you try to get any concession from the seller? Do you have any other rare vintage Dacks competitors in the same size that you needed to thwart?

Enjoy and post photos of your restore.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may be that only you and the seller are aware of how rare and special this model is.

The seller priced all the other shoes below $100 CAN and this one at $400 CAN.

Did you try to get any concession from the seller? Do you have any other rare vintage Dacks competitors in the same size that you needed to thwart?

Enjoy and post photos of your restore.
I pondered all the variables and decided I had just best grab the damn things. I reached out with an offer and waited an hour but did not hear back. With almost any other shoe I would have waited out the auction and tried to snipe them, but I have lost nice shoes before when they suddenly became "unavailable" because someone else made a backdoor deal. I will sleep better knowing they are on their way here, as if I had lost them I would have been seriously miserable. My biggest collecting goal is to have all of my regular rotation shoes be Canadian and from the 50's. That might be impossible, but these shoes help the cause. I will post some better photos after I clean them up. I think they are really going to pop. They have nice bones.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pondered all the variables and decided I had just best grab the damn things. I reached out with an offer and waited an hour but did not hear back. With almost any other shoe I would have waited out the auction and tried to snipe them, but I have lost nice shoes before when they suddenly became "unavailable" because someone else made a backdoor deal. I will sleep better knowing they are on their way here, as if I had lost them I would have been seriously miserable. My biggest collecting goal is to have all of my regular rotation shoes be Canadian and from the 50's. That might be impossible, but these shoes help the cause. I will post some better photos after I clean them up. I think they are really going to pop. They have nice bones.

Respect for the life goals here. It's gonna be difficult, but good for you.

Raimar

Reaction score
Iron Age Bostonians. I believe second wear for these NOS.

Attachments

• 7AEA0CA4-4CAC-4F6A-B7F2-4FE0725E9F1D.jpeg
    7AEA0CA4-4CAC-4F6A-B7F2-4FE0725E9F1D.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 24

Bertrand

Reaction score
Speaking of cleaning...

Recently I posted the 93606s that @suitforcourt gifted to me last year. He described them as beat up project shoes, and I spent a few months slowly moisturizing and brushing them before finally unveiling them a couple weeks ago.

View attachment 1561625

The comments about the scratchiness in the rolls were nagging at me and I believed they could be better, so I decided to go to town on them and see what I could do.

First I went over them with Lexol cleaner & conditioner, but that didn't really do anything. Next I pulled out the Renomat and went over them thoroughly, but it's pretty hard to gauge when I am removing polish vs. removing shell coloring so I was careful not to rub too hard.

I also found that there was some nice contrast stitching on the welt which had been covered with dark polish, so I went over the welts with some colorsafe bleach applied with cotton swabs (shout out to @CWOyaji for that tip) and then scrubbed them with saddle soap and an electric toothbrush.

At that point, I figured "What the heck" and so I went over the whole shoe with saddle soap. I also took some 4000 grit sandpaper to the rolls in the vamp. I also had some 100 grit paper, so I used it on the sole edges.

View attachment 1561626

I wondered if I had gone too far...

View attachment 1561627

But applying a couple rounds of Bick 4 and then going over them with burgundy Saphir Cordovan creme, they started to look much better.

View attachment 1561628

Lastly I went over them with some clear Collonil 1909 for a bit of shine.

How the light hits them either hides or exposes the weird mottling of the shell. In early morning direct sunlight, they are probably at their worst. Yes, that weird coloration is on the shell itself. I need to see if I can do any better with the Renomat next time.

View attachment 1561630

From the shade side, they look a bit better.

View attachment 1561629

After-market V-cleats.

View attachment 1561631

And wearing them for a bit, the rolls quickly gave up a lot of crystalline grittiness, but these brushed off easily when I got to the office, and they are already looking much better.

View attachment 1561632

Later on I'll see what I can do about the weird color mottling. But for now I'm much happier with them as part of my rotation.

very beautiful pair of shoes! Do you have any photos just after sanding?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

Those are going to be a KILLER pair once they're under your care. I think it was worth grabbing them the way that you did. Did you ever get the 2nd pair?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
So... ummmm. If one of you guys are gonna drop some crazy coin on a pair of old shoes (like more than $100, for example). This would be a good pair to snag. These are not mine but I'd strongly encourage any 9E to watch this auction.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Second pair? Don't tell me there is a second pair or I will be eating bread and water for a month.

hahah. not exactly the same pair but the ones from uhhhhh, what's that guys name.... Claude, I think. The guy that I was trying to deal with that we had discussed.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hahah. not exactly the same pair but the ones from uhhhhh, what's that guys name.... Claude, I think. The guy that I was trying to deal with that we had discussed.
Oh, I bought those but they were a disappointment. They need new soles. Dacks water bison whole-cuts, 8.5D. Uppers and liners are fine. 1960's. Not my size and I don't want to invest in the recraft. If anyone wants them, PM me for pics, and you can have them for the cost of shipping,.

Bertrand

Reaction score

View attachment 1562145
Did the leather been dry up a bit becoz of it's age? If so, how did you 'rejuvenate' the shoes?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Oh, I bought those but they were a disappointment. They need new soles. Dacks water bison whole-cuts, 8.5D. Uppers and liners are fine. 1960's. Not my size and I don't want to invest in the recraft. If anyone wants them, PM me for pics, and you can have them for the cost of shipping,.

Wait. Wholecuts? They were U-wings.

1614287831234.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics