• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The GHs from a couple of days ago, inbound from St. Louis, MO
E5A9E2E6-C0D5-45AD-ADB2-5D177597B12B.jpeg
513C4686-A40E-4F12-BFD5-A930ECFA6F14.jpeg

ashynastyclassy

Reaction score
Is there a preferred/recommended suede cleaner? I just bought a pair of suede NST. They have some stains on them. I knew they had the stains, but I love the NST and they were a good price.

Any advice appreciated.

View attachment 1560239
Unless you’re one of those people that’s afraid of some soap and water, I’d give that a try first

A soft soap like Castile and a toothbrush should work, if you don’t have I’d use dish soap next. That does not look like anything major to me if the white stuff on the apron is what you’re worried about. That looks like it might even brush off with just water in case you’re overly concerned

Can’t find the picture but I droped a take-out container of ketchup off the counter and the ketchup ricochet out of the container and onto the vamp. I thoroughly wiped off the ketchup with a wet rag, let dry and then brush

I wear my MiE swedes in fresh powder, along with having spilled ketchup and ice cream on them
34714009-559D-40CB-970E-DEE61F5CDA25.jpeg

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve got two hats coming from Optimo tomorrow. They better get here!!
Fed Ex appears no better. First they told me Saturday, then Monday, now ‘pending’. So I have no idea where my stuff is or when I’ll get it.

ZePrez

Reaction score
Tough crowd!
An ongoing worldwide pandemic ( showing no sign of abatement) plus bad worldwide weather, it is a miracle that we manage to get our non-essentials, so, yes!, quickly ;)
Let's take a breath

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tough crowd!
An ongoing worldwide pandemic ( showing no sign of abatement) plus bad worldwide weather, it is a miracle that we manage to get our non-essentials, so, yes!, quickly ;)
Let's take a breath
First world 'problems'

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Going to have to disagree with you guys. Some of what we are discussing has nothing to do with the pandemic and, at least in my view, has more sinister origins that are both economic and political. Honestly, I couldn't really care less if my 50th pair of shoes takes an extra week or two to arrive but there are people who rely on USPS for time critical deliveries.

To a certain extent, it's correct to call this a "first world problem" but those of us in the US theoretically are supposed to live in the first world and it would be great if our postal service could deliver prescription meds to Grandma on time (just as an example). I realize that this may come across as entitlement. I'll just say that the USPS has a LONG history of high quality service. What has been happening for the last 6 months is not normal. If I thought it was primarily a function of the pandemic, I would not be biyatching about it.

Back to shoes! I will recompense the victims of this off topic diatribe with some vintage beauties post haste (no pun intended).

Last edited:

ZePrez

Reaction score
Going to have to disagree with you guys. Some of what we are discussing has nothing to do with the pandemic and, at least in my view, has more sinister origins that are both economic and political. Honestly, I couldn't really care less if my 50th pair of shoes takes an extra week or two to arrive but there are people who rely on USPS for time critical deliveries.

To a certain extent, it's correct to call this a "first world problem" but those of us in the US theoretically are supposed to live in the first world and it would be great if our postal service could deliver prescription meds to Grandma on time (just as an example). I realize that this may come across as entitlement. I'll just say that the USPS has a LONG history of high quality service. What has been happening for the last 6 months is not normal. If I thought it was primarily a function of the pandemic, I would not be biyatching about it.

Back to shoes! I will recompense the victims of this off topic diatribe with some vintage beauties post haste (no pun intended).
While posting, I did think of the various political reasons in the US Postal system could have been in such dire state, they are real and issues that must be addressed. It remains however that things should be put in perspective.
Pictures of my now sanitized, cleaned treated shone shoes coming up. They didn't come with shoetrees, I have put vintage shoetrees in them to straighten them and give the conditioners time to seep in before wearing them.
Lighting conditions are the same.

1614088587433.jpeg

1614088810115.jpeg

1614089456122.jpeg

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could be. Sinister is out there. It's a spiritual battle, if you know what I mean.

So here are my shells that I took the pig bristle brush to for 20 min., renovateur, neutral cordovan cream, 10 min horse brush, Collonil burgundy and polish cloth. Trying to get rid of the vamp haze. I think it helped. (thanks to smfdoc) Before and after:

28F9012E-74BF-4F8F-905A-A535038D393F.jpeg
tempImageYfAGR8.png

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Could be. Sinister is out there. It's a spiritual battle, if you know what I mean.

So here are my shells that I took the pig bristle brush to for 20 min., renovateur, neutral cordovan cream, 10 min horse brush, Collonil burgundy and polish cloth. Trying to get rid of the vamp haze. I think it helped. (thanks to smfdoc) Before and after:

View attachment 1560906 View attachment 1560907

Looking much better. On the road to a brighter future.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
AE MacNeil? Shell?

Yes on shell, but not MacNeil. I think Florsheim. A quick reference point on MacNeil is the way that the eyelet portion goes all of the way down to the long wing.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 10.01.14 AM.png

Alden and black Florsheim for comparison.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 10.03.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 10.04.20 AM.png

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1560906 View attachment 1560907
Pig bristle seems to scratch my shell up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads