• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
In December, USPS had a meltdown. I believe at one point, they just gave up. But its been better recently.

This was the tracking for one purchase. It took 10 days to get to Seattle via a strange route. It was "Express" shipping. Louisiana to Tennessee to Mississippi to Illinois to Spokane and then to Seattle. And then once in Seattle, it took five days to be delivered.

View attachment 1560062

I've had numerous packages with tracking like this and it's not like I live down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Aside from the really insane ones, pretty much all of our packages have missed their normal 2-3 delivery norms for Priority. Without getting into a political discussion, I will just say that we were not having these issues until sometime beginning in the mid-summer when DeJoy really started screwing with the USPS.

The alleged reasons for his "reforms" is/was to increase efficiency and profitability. It's difficult for me to see how either is possible while shuffling packages back and forth to far away random places.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone else having trouble with USPS tracking lately? I've been noticing that my recent purchases seem to be hanging in limbo. See attached.

View attachment 1559957

It was forecast for delivery yesterday but there have been no updates.

I have been avoiding USPS as much as possible for the past three months. I sent a priority mail package to San Antonio. Not only was it not delivered, it was returned to me 2 months later! Another little example is a check I was waiting to receive from a law firm. It was mailed in a #10 business envelope on 11/30/21 from LA. By the first of January we gave up and they sent it to me again overnight Fedex. I really thought it might be one of those "Checks in the mail" stalls we all get every now and then. But then, 53 days after it was mailed, the #10 envelope arrived with the original check. Sure enough, it eas post marked 11/30/21. How can they explain why a simple business envelope, with no special handling needed, took 53 days to go across the country?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I have been avoiding USPS as much as possible for the past three months. I sent a priority mail package to San Antonio. Not only was it not delivered, it was returned to me 2 months later! Another little example is a check I was waiting to receive from a law firm. It was mailed in a #10 business envelope on 11/30/21 from LA. By the first of January we gave up and they sent it to me again overnight Fedex. I really thought it might be one of those "Checks in the mail" stalls we all get every now and then. But then, 53 days after it was mailed, the #10 envelope arrived with the original check. Sure enough, it eas post marked 11/30/21. How can they explain why a simple business envelope, with no special handling needed, took 53 days to go across the country?

They removed and destroyed 100s of mail sorting machines that are used to automate letters. I've been using the mail for decades like I am sure most of the rest of you. I've never seen anything even remotely like this. Perhaps random isolated delays once in a blue moon but not continual problems echoed by people across the country.

My grandfather worked for USPS as a side job during the depression to support the family. There are a LOT of good people that work there and it is a critical service for many Americans. The systematic destruction of the USPS is totally unacceptable. I'm pretty pissed off about it, as might have already been obvious.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They removed and destroyed 100s of mail sorting machines that are used to automate letters. I've been using the mail for decades like I am sure most of the rest of you. I've never seen anything even remotely like this. Perhaps random isolated delays once in a blue moon but not continual problems echoed by people across the country.

My grandfather worked for USPS as a side job during the depression to support the family. There are a LOT of good people that work there and it is a critical service for many Americans. The systematic destruction of the USPS is totally unacceptable. I'm pretty pissed off about it, as might have already been obvious.
But isn't always in the red? Which means it's subsidized to exist. I don't support that business model.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's in Oregon! That's forward progress!

Screenshot_20210222-093131_eBay.jpg

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I looked at those too. The seller felt that they were wear and would not come out, so good luck. I use the Saphir Omni'nettoyant and I think it's great stuff. I was able to get out some oil stain on my son's boots that he had had no luck with (but he really wasn't using the right stuff anyway). Post your results!

I'll second the Saphir Omni'nettoyant -- you can also use the Omnidaim (lower end version). Also get a good suede brush -- I have one of the 4-way brushes with nylon/brass bristles and three rubber/silicone "brushes" that help with crevices, etc.. It's amazing what just a bit of brushing will do to release dirt from the knap.

nikolau

Reaction score
Love that! I sincerely hope that my post did not come across as condescending. I know essentially nothing about shoe production from the Soviet Union and allied states from that era. I thought it was an interesting shoe and something that I'd never seen before and was just trying to evaluate the construction relative to something that most of us are likely to have seen.

It didn’t come across as condescending at all. Soviet manufacturing was famously shoddy. They just happened to have good shoemakers.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting.
I needed to send something from Japan to my mother the US. I mailed it at the beginning of January and it came back 6 weeks later with a sticker saying "no delivery receptacle" even though she lives in a large condo with a whole rack of mail boxes and the address was 100% correct.

I think I may try a service like DHL or Fedex instead.

ZePrez

Reaction score
HI

I received my "Custom Grade Copegg by Dr Scholl" today and cannot believe these things were from the 50's... Leather is soft and looks healthy. Whomever had them seemed to have taken good care of them.
Here are the pictures. No treatment , just straight from the package:

IMG-0004.jpg
IMG-0007.jpg

The sole is not flat between the pegs it is domed, this doesn't appear in the pictures, I likely use some dark brown cream on that part. Even the heels look like original ... not sure
IMG-0009.jpg
IMG-0010.jpg

1614038294128.png

Last picture ... I see no stitching on the welt. What is this construction in which the stitching is invisible? Were these Goodyear welted?. Not that I would care if they weren't...

Will spend a few mins cleaning, conditioning and shining:

Lexol Leather cleaner
Lexol NF
Bick's #4
Saphir Renovateur , perhaps, not yet convinced of what it brings to the table
Saphir Brown Cream.
Saphir Dark Brown on the soles
Saphir Neutral Wax
Collonil 1909

I will share the pictures with you when this is done.

Last edited:

ashynastyclassy

Reaction score
unnamed (14).jpg

Today I’m prancing around the house in these 20s Made In England Colt and Cordovan (Shell tongue) safari boots, the bottoms are made of Shell Horsehide. They were made for the now extinct but once venerable outfitting firm of Abercrombie & Fitch Co.

Earhart was very likely wearing gear from here on her final flight, Shackleton shopped here for the Antarctic, Hemingway would have gotten fishing equipment here too, maybe this is where he purchased that shotgun? These boots also went on a safari trip or two it seems
unnamed (15).jpg

P.S. I found out the bottoms will buff to decent gloss and darken a bit after street wear by just “wiping” my shoes on the my living room rug a few time. And No, I was not wiping my shoes on the rug.. I was dancing cause no one was around
unnamed (16).jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE St George jodhpurs from the 1980s today.
1A2EA66F-8403-4D88-B6D9-B153888298B2.jpeg
EA27B576-C6AF-48E0-87E1-1EA8E4853EB0.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads