• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are these? That outside heel counter looks like a Varsity but the sock liner says Imperial. I contacted the seller but the interior markings are mostly worn away.

Screenshot_20210127-232812_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210127-232822_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210127-232910_eBay.jpg

Soles and heels look like replacements.
Screenshot_20210127-233212_eBay.jpg

Impostors?

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

happypebble

Reaction score
I am not argue with you on that. It's the DeLorean of shoes.
Now that's funny (and true). I'm gonna egg you on here, I think you should grab them. If they were just a skosh bigger I would. And this kind of resonates with me: every time I wear my Charles Chester shoes (which are awesome) I get this feeling like they've got to be some sort of Corfam-ish Frankenstein material.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am not argue with you on that. It's the DeLorean of shoes.

And if you can get them up to 88 mph they will take you back in time to the year they were made.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For you 11.5B guys, some NOS shell LWB Nettletons. Pricey, and not my listing. Link.

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 9.33.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 9.33.57 AM.png

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what properly cleaned and conditioned shell cordovan should feel like? I've got a pair of AE Leeds that feels smooth and silky, and other pairs that feel almost waxy. What's your experience? Can you use feel as an indicator for proper shell health?

New cordovan that is nicely moisturized is supple enough, but definitely harder than calf. I wouldn't call it "silky", but "pliable" and "smooth".

I wouldn't be too worried about waxy. I'd be worried about too much stiffness.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...Those shoes are worth about 5 dollars. Their condition is absolute garbage.

They'll need resoling, relining, redying, and that wouldn't even get rid of the dessicated leather issues.

Honestly, as much as it sucks? Those babies belong at the dump. They're done.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New cordovan that is nicely moisturized is supple enough, but definitely harder than calf. I wouldn't call it "silky", but "pliable" and "smooth".

I wouldn't be too worried about waxy. I'd be worried about too much stiffness.
I'm not 'worried' about the waxiness; it's just hard to keep a shine. The brush leaves fine scratches and they show fingerprints. I don't know if this pair needs heavier stripping or if this is as good as it gets.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not 'worried' about the waxiness; it's just hard to keep a shine. The brush leaves fine scratches and they show fingerprints. I don't know if this pair needs heavier stripping or if this is as good as it gets.

Yes, I'd definitely give them a cleaning if finger prints are showing up. It might be the case that they have far too much wax build up.

My first suggestion is always to use neutral polish to see how much you can rub off with a lot of elbow grease. I have even heard of people using baby shampoo to get rid of wax.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be clear: Neutral polish should be basically applied as if you were using it to rub stuff off. So you aren't lightly putting it on to glaze the shoe, but literally rubbing it in to strip the previous wax.

I've taken off coloured cream polish pigment by using this technique and find it a nice, simple way to clean shoes.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'd definitely give them a cleaning if finger prints are showing up. It might be the case that they have far too much wax build up.

My first suggestion is always to use neutral polish to see how much you can rub off with a lot of elbow grease. I have even heard of people using baby shampoo to get rid of wax.
Yeah, I've used saddle soap, Renomat, naptha, and VSC on this pair. The polish cloth keeps turning burgundy. And once I think I'm done, I can still scrape wax off with my fingernail.

It might be time for acetone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads