• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personal preference, but I think the rolls are pretty minimal and would instead try to gently brush off the orange peel texture on the vamps, near the stitching. I think rolls add character. As long as they’re not deep enough to trap grit in the creases, which can turn abrasive and cause cracking, I won't push smoothing them out. Here's that pair of 93605s from last week.
View attachment 1541632
Bossy people on Facebook were telling me to rub them with a deer bone, but I don't feel like it.
View attachment 1541633
These trees fill out the vamps but aren't chunky enough to crack them.
View attachment 1541634
Easy does it with old shell. I've only treated them with running water, VSC and Leather Milk so far.
View attachment 1541635

Yeah, I got a deer bone on the advice of internet experts, but to me it does very little for rolls. If anything, it helps to smooth them out a bit before you take a photo, but as soon as you put the shoes on and take one step, the rolls come right back.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attn 9.5D brothers... never seen shark Florsheim Imperial short wings. Wow. Not my listing.
Interesting that the description says "new in original box" and the box pictured is an Allen Edmonds box... ;)

Yeah, I saw those on David's watch list the other day, but something seems odd. (not just the box)

The leather has this sort of weird texture to it, on top of the wavy shark skin texture. It's especially noticeable on the photo of the back of the shoes. It has this sort of fine dimpled texture, almost like it's "printed".

Or does shark skin look like that sometimes?
I only have 1 pair of shark skin shoes (Footjoy saddle shoes) to compare against, but mine are completely smooth aside from the shark skin waviness.

But, at any rate, the price is in "sleeping on the couch" territory.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, my wife did some shopping of her own last night -- picking up a nice, lightly used, Loewe leather coat. So I figured I would make a couple purchases of my own.
Besides, I hadn't made any shoe auction purchases since last June, so I felt I would be safe. ;)

First up: Plugging the 7-eyelet hole in my collection. These are Florsheim Royal Imperials that had been on my watchlist forever. They were listed at an attractive price, but the shipping situation always put me off. Still, I kept coming back to them, and finally decided to pull the trigger before I regretted missing them forever.

Although Florsheims, they seem more English style to me. Possibly from the 90's, they are smooth leather and a sort of cross between a brogued shortwing and an austerity brogue. I couldn't make out the model number from the photos, but I'll see if I can get that info once they arrive. Hopefully I can clean up the creases on the vamp.

7-eyelet Florsheims 01.jpg

7-eyelet Florsheims 08.jpg

7-eyelet Florsheims 09.jpg

The 2nd hole I decided to plug was the one I never knew I had -- I picked up those Florsheim party shoes after receiving a lower price offer from the seller.

florsheim-wholecuts-jpg.1540630

So, what's the story on these?
I mean, what's the model, age, etc.? I've never seen anything like those before.

They are not vintage, but they are Florsheims... by Duckie Brown, so I guess they are from the early 2000s?

It seems that there is a thin layer of leather that was laser cut with a paisley pattern, that is then laid on top of the uppers. The uppers, lining and sole are leather, but made in India.

Not sure if/when I will ever wear these, but I have a custom made suit that I had done while living in Singapore which has a satin blue paisley jacket lining that my wife dislikes. These shoes could be a good match for that suit. ?

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personal preference, but I think the rolls are pretty minimal and would instead try to gently brush off the orange peel texture on the vamps, near the stitching. I think rolls add character. As long as they’re not deep enough to trap grit in the creases, which can turn abrasive and cause cracking, I won't push smoothing them out. Here's that pair of 93605s from last week.
View attachment 1541632
Bossy people on Facebook were telling me to rub them with a deer bone, but I don't feel like it.
View attachment 1541633
These trees fill out the vamps but aren't chunky enough to crack them.
View attachment 1541634
Easy does it with old shell. I've only treated them with running water, VSC and Leather Milk so far.
View attachment 1541635
So slightly larger trees took 'em out.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re above: I just love my black Executive Imperials. I look at them and can see very little difference in quality between them and my Florsheim 92604s. Makes me want a pair of Velvet Eez.

The Velvet-eez are really, really comfortable. They have a springy, cushioned insole that is still spring and cushiony after all these years. My Hanover shell saddle oxfords are a distant second place, and third place isn’t close.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, my wife did some shopping of her own last night -- picking up a nice, lightly used, Loewe leather coat. So I figured I would make a couple purchases of my own.
Besides, I hadn't made any shoe auction purchases since last June, so I felt I would be safe. ;)

First up: Plugging the 7-eyelet hole in my collection. These are Florsheim Royal Imperials that had been on my watchlist forever. They were listed at an attractive price, but the shipping situation always put me off. Still, I kept coming back to them, and finally decided to pull the trigger before I regretted missing them forever.

Although Florsheims, they seem more English style to me. Possibly from the 90's, they are smooth leather and a sort of cross between a brogued shortwing and an austerity brogue. I couldn't make out the model number from the photos, but I'll see if I can get that info once they arrive. Hopefully I can clean up the creases on the vamp.

View attachment 1541737

View attachment 1541738

View attachment 1541740

The 2nd hole I decided to plug was the one I never knew I had -- I picked up those Florsheim party shoes after receiving a lower price offer from the seller.

florsheim-wholecuts-jpg.1540630

They are not vintage, but they are Florsheims... by Duckie Brown, so I guess they are from the early 2000s?

It seems that there is a thin layer of leather that was laser cut with a paisley pattern, that is then laid on top of the uppers. The uppers, lining and sole are leather, but made in India.

Not sure if/when I will ever wear these, but I have a custom made suit that I had done while living in Singapore which has a satin blue paisley jacket lining that my wife dislikes. These shoes could be a good match for that suit. ?
I like the logic: your wife’s purchases are a license for your purchases. My wife does the same thing. If she’s enthusiastic about a new pair - “ those are beautiful!” - I know we are about to get a Nordstrom box on the porch.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s on... I’m doing grommets and I’m doing them myself. Two pairs of my vintage shell have very small cracks around the eyelets. I’m not taking any chances.

Removing the old ones was easier than I thought. I used a solution of alcohol and water and soaked the leather around the eyelets with a Q-tip. Then I used a micro cutter to bend the sides and slowly pull them out. Steve from Bedo’s does the process in a video. I copied that. I actually think that’s probably the hardest part. Now I just need to find the right size grommets. I’m thinking 4 mm is correct. @suitforcourt: do you what the inner diameter is on the grommets you’ve have installed? More to come...
12F26D16-B3FA-4787-8DA6-01FBC7B26A02.jpeg
11ED1639-5014-40F3-9268-A42F71F024E5.jpeg
77DB33F8-C1EE-48EC-9FE1-C6B1E16116E5.jpeg
84C15075-3DD8-4065-97B7-8498957746F5.jpeg

Last edited:

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m still working on this with acetone. They were a burgundy brown train wreck when I found them. Can I put navy dye on these? I mean, how much more messed up can They get? Have a brand recommendation?
image.jpg

Last edited:

Quantum17

Reaction score
Tomorrow is Opposite Day. It’d be funny if somewhere out there, anthropologists discovered an anti-Bayesian tribe deep in the Amazon. They would basically believe if something happens too many time in a row, the opposite must soon occur. According to this tribe, tomorrow the sun will rise on the West, fishes walk on land, and Sponge Bob wears circle pants. Every tomorrow would be Opposite Day ? Mild comedy, I admit. Just hoping to get a snort from statisticians out there.

Though I believe I’m most creative on the day of lottery drawing. Imagination runs wild. What I would do with the sudden fortune?!?!? I would be a just and benevolent ruler of the world. Or at the very least, a good Batman.

The inevitable despair would hit home when someone else won the jackpot. It happened too many time in a row. Yet, I am still the anti-Bayesian fool eagerly buying more lottery. I have convinced myself the $2 ticket was not entirely for the wish of fortune, but largely for a brief joyful moment of fantasy.

Maiden voyage to my red Florsheim oxfords. Lovely shoes. Definitely among my favorite ?

8418DDFC-AAF2-4AED-BDBA-0D91AB614279.jpeg

Quantum17

Reaction score
It’s on... I’m doing grommets and I’m doing them myself. Two pairs of my vintage shell have very small cracks around the eyelets. I’m not taking any chances.

Removing the old ones was easier than I thought. I used a solution of alcohol and water and soaked the leather around the eyelets with a Q-tip. Then I used a micro cutter to bend the sides and slowly pull them out. Steve from Bedo’s does the process in a video. I copied that. I actually think that’s probably the hardest part. Now I just need to find the right size grommets. I’m thinking 4 mm is correct. @suitforcourt: do you what the inner diameter is on the grommets you’ve have installed? More to come... View attachment 1541788 View attachment 1541789 View attachment 1541790 View attachment 1541791

You are amazing. Good luck ?

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m still working on this with acetone. They were a burgundy brown train wreck when I found them. Can I put navy dye on these? I mean, how much more messed up can They get? Have a brand recommendation?
View attachment 1541793
I'd guess that Navy would give you a really muddy result with those, but I have no experience to suggest that's true, so take my guess with a shaker of salt... ;)

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd guess that Navy would give you a really muddy result with those, but I have no experience to suggest that's true, so take my guess with a shaker of salt... ;)
You’re probably right. The same crossed my mind. I should stick with a brown.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads