• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE Black Cherry Shell Bristols from the early 90s today:

20210119_bristols.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it is true that a blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut, then perhaps there is a twisted corollary whereby a shoe-nut sometimes finds a rare pair that have long been squirrelled away (out of sight). Today may have provided the proof.

While doing my daily on-line search for vintage shoes, starting with the probable, and moving quickly through the possible, to hopeful, and on to fat chance, I did a last desperate search for "Autocrat shoes". I have never actually seen a pair of Autocrat shoes, but I knew from old advertisements and news articles that they had been manufactured by Scott-McHale at their Tillsonburg factory between 1935 and 1938.

Tillsonburg is a small town located about 35 miles southeast of Scott-McHale's London, Ontario factory. Through the teens and twenties the Tillsonburg Shoe Co. was renowned for their high quality men's footwear. But in 1934, at the height of the depression, the firm fell on hard times and changed hands twice before closing their doors. Scott-McHale purchased the company in early1935 and re-opened it later that year with new equipment and a staff of close to 200. From July 1935 to early 1938 they marketed two new lines of shoes, the "Autocrat" and the "Cavalier", through their existing network of retailers across Canada. By 1938, perhaps rethinking operating two factories or simply realizing a quick profit, they leased the factory to a businessman from Toronto, who eventually bought the company outright shortly before the outbreak of World War 2. I am uncertain why, but the Autocrat and Cavalier lines did not continue to be manufactured under the new management, and quickly slipped from history.

The Autocrat and Cavaliers were priced lower than Scott-McHales premium Liberty and Astoria lines manufactured at the London factory, and were marketed to younger, fashion forward gentlemen. The pair I found certainly qualify in the last regard. They were made for sale by the Reaburn Shoe Store in the village of Chesley, Ontario, located about 150 miles north of London. I purchased them from the granddaughter of the original store owner, along with a pair of NOS boots that I will post upon separately after they arrive. I doubt very much there are another pair of these shoes in existence, and certainly not in this condition.

The brief news announcement is from February 1935, while the advert is from July 1935.

Feb 23, 1935 SM Tillsonburg.JPG

July 30 1935 Mchale Autocrat.JPG

Autocrat1.JPG
Autocrat2.JPG
Autocrat3.JPG

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
If it is true that a blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut, then perhaps there is a twisted corollary whereby a shoe-nut sometimes finds a rare pair that have long been squirrelled away (out of sight). Today may have provided the proof.

While doing my daily on-line search for vintage shoes, starting with the probable, and moving quickly through the possible, to hopeful, and on to fat chance, I did a last desperate search for "Autocrat shoes". I have never actually seen a pair of Autocrat shoes, but I knew from old advertisements and news articles that they had been manufactured by Scott-McHale at their Tillsonburg factory between 1935 and 1937.

Tillsonburg is a small town located about 35 miles southeast of Scott-McHale's London, Ontario factory. Through the teens and twenties the Tillsonburg Shoe Co. was renowned for their high quality men's footwear. But in 1934, at the height of the depression, the firm fell on hard times and changed hands twice before closing their doors. Scott-McHale purchased the company in early1935 and re-opened it later that year with new equipment and a staff of close to 200. From July 1935 to early 1937 they marketed two new lines of shoes, the "Autocrat" and the "Cavalier", through their existing network of retailers across Canada. By mid-1937, perhaps rethinking operating two factories or simply realizing a quick profit, they leased the factory to a businessman from Toronto, who eventually bought the company outright shortly before the outbreak of World War 2. I am uncertain why, but the Autocrat and Cavalier lines did not continue to be manufactured under the new management, and quickly slipped from history.

The Autocrat and Cavaliers were priced lower than Scott-McHales premium Liberty and Astoria lines manufactured at the London factory, and were marketed to younger, fashion forward gentlemen. The pair I found certainly qualify in the last regard. They were made for sale by a family run shoe store in the small village of Chesley, Ontario, located about 150 miles north of London. I purchased them from the granddaughter of the original store owner, along with a pair of NOS boots that I will post upon separately after they arrive. I doubt very much their are another pair of these shoes in existence, and certainly not in this condition.

The brief news announcement is from February 1935, while the advert is from July 1935.

View attachment 1538876

View attachment 1538874
View attachment 1538878 View attachment 1538879 View attachment 1538880

Amazing shoe find! But I have to ask... were you saving up your Autocrat Shoe post for this very day for some highly coincidental unmentionable reason?

By the way, who names a shoe brand "Autocrat"?!? I mean, I guess it made sense for its time (kinda/sorta?).

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazing shoe find! But I have to ask... were you saving up your Autocrat Shoe post for this very day for some highly coincidental unmentionable reason?

By the way, who names a shoe brand "Autocrat"?!? I mean, I guess it made sense for its time (kinda/sorta?).

I love the brand name. Gotta rep absolute monarchy.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those are amazing. I'm going to start looking for Authoritarian Autocrats, which was their premium line. I totally made that up. In seriousness, those are really cool. Thanks for sharing the history and the backstory on the hunt.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are amazing. I'm going to start looking for Authoritarian Autocrats, which was their premium line. I totally made that up. In seriousness, those are really cool. Thanks for sharing the history and the backstory on the hunt.
I think an Authoritarian Autocrat would certainly trump a plain Autocrat.

rwfields68

Reaction score

While doing my daily on-line search for vintage shoes, starting with the probable, and moving quickly through the possible, to hopeful, and on to fat chance, I did a last desperate search for "Autocrat shoes". I have never actually seen a pair of Autocrat shoes, but I knew from old advertisements and news articles that they had been manufactured by Scott-McHale at their Tillsonburg factory between 1935 and 1937.

Tillsonburg is a small town located about 35 miles southeast of Scott-McHale's London, Ontario factory. Through the teens and twenties the Tillsonburg Shoe Co. was renowned for their high quality men's footwear. But in 1934, at the height of the depression, the firm fell on hard times and changed hands twice before closing their doors. Scott-McHale purchased the company in early1935 and re-opened it later that year with new equipment and a staff of close to 200. From July 1935 to early 1937 they marketed two new lines of shoes, the "Autocrat" and the "Cavalier", through their existing network of retailers across Canada. By mid-1937, perhaps rethinking operating two factories or simply realizing a quick profit, they leased the factory to a businessman from Toronto, who eventually bought the company outright shortly before the outbreak of World War 2. I am uncertain why, but the Autocrat and Cavalier lines did not continue to be manufactured under the new management, and quickly slipped from history.

The Autocrat and Cavaliers were priced lower than Scott-McHales premium Liberty and Astoria lines manufactured at the London factory, and were marketed to younger, fashion forward gentlemen. The pair I found certainly qualify in the last regard. They were made for sale by the Reaburn Shoe Store in the village of Chesley, Ontario, located about 150 miles north of London. I purchased them from the granddaughter of the original store owner, along with a pair of NOS boots that I will post upon separately after they arrive. I doubt very much there are another pair of these shoes in existence, and certainly not in this condition.

View attachment 1538876

View attachment 1538874
Just fantastic!

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE ? Nassaus today.
A77FA9B0-10A0-478D-A28D-106AABCA64D5.jpeg

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1538876

View attachment 1538874
Incredible shoes. The 1930-40s ventilated spectators like this are my absolute favorite shoes ever made. What size are they? Tiny, like most examples from that era?

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incredible shoes. The 1930-40s ventilated spectators like this are my absolute favorite shoes ever made. What size are they? Tiny, like most examples from that era?
Thanks. High praise indeed coming from you! I believe them to be 9C. I should have them in hand no later than next Monday. I will post better photos after I get them hydrated.

happypebble

Reaction score

There's still a brand of pencils called Autocrat. And don't forget, back before the war there was the Studebaker Dictator at your local dealer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads