• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Ohm’s Law has something to say about this, since the resistance through the dogs is going to be affected by their thickness, water content and temperature. And are they wired up parallel or in series? So many variables here.

Parallel

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
I think Ohm’s Law has something to say about this, since the resistance through the dogs is going to be affected by their thickness, water content and temperature. And are they wired up parallel or in series? So many variables here.

I think if you apply Thevenin's theorem, you get one big juicy hot-dog.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely Ohm's Law.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the consensus about using Renomat on shell? There's some thick, dark brown wax on these that I can scrape off with my fingernail.

20210115_202706.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the consensus about using Renomat on shell? There's some thick, dark brown wax on these that I can scrape off with my fingernail.

View attachment 1536633

I've used Renomat on shell. But it should be a last resort. Did you try VSC yet?

If you decide to attack using Renomat, make sure you condition the shoes like crazy afterwards.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used Renomat on shell. But it should be a last resort. Did you try VSC yet?

If you decide to attack using Renomat, make sure you condition the shoes like crazy afterwards.
I haven't used VSC yet because I'm still conditioning these with heavy applications of neatsfoot oil.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1536633
It’s totally fine. I usually go with acetone if the shell has caked on wax. That works fine too. It will take off any acrylic coating which is fine with me too. Do condition afterwards of course.

ashynastyclassy

Reaction score
unnamed (2).jpg

@hamercha
That was my first thought, with a single factory capacity at producing hundreds of thousands of pairs per year, they needed to sell you more than four pairs of shoes per years to stay in business. Thousands of samples were made per year, apparently. Picture above is of the creative team work space, conference room and eating area

@stook1
Nah I don’t think so, I believe it was all done for aesthetics. They could have cemented the soles on and it would have made no difference

@Nobleprofessor
I agree, very interesting design indeed, unfortunately I’m not a native 9D and these run big...

@friendlygoz
If I can’t get the right sock and insole combo I may pass these to another interested brother in the future

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about a collection of Shell with the variations in color? I need to try this again sometime in natural light.

From top left to right

Vintage Johnston Murphy Shell (almost #4)
NEW Alden Black Shell
1965 Florsheim 93605
NOS Allen Edmonds BLUE Shell MacNeil
NOS Florsheim 93605 (Cola Red)
Alden 975 #8
Meermin Cognac Shell
Allen Edmonds #8 Macneil
NOS Nettleton #8
NEW Alden # 8

2CBA3AC4-879D-4008-91E7-BBCA2132C7D8.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How about a collection of Shell with the variations in color? I need to try this again sometime in natural light.

From top left to right

Vintage Johnston Murphy Shell (almost #4)
NEW Alden Black Shell
1965 Florsheim 93605
NOS Allen Edmonds BLUE Shell MacNeil
NOS Florsheim 93605 (Cola Red)
Alden 975 #8
Meermin Cognac Shell
Allen Edmonds #8 Macneil
NOS Nettleton #8
NEW Alden # 8

View attachment 1537010

That is a fine looking group of shoes.

vestbash

Reaction score
View attachment 1536775

@hamercha
That was my first thought, with a single factory capacity at producing hundreds of thousands of pairs per year, they needed to sell you more than four pairs of shoes per years to stay in business. Thousands of samples were made per year, apparently. Picture above is of the creative team work space, conference room and eating area

@stook1
Nah I don’t think so, I believe it was all done for aesthetics. They could have cemented the soles on and it would have made no difference

@Nobleprofessor
I agree, very interesting design indeed, unfortunately I’m not a native 9D and these run big...

@friendlygoz
If I can’t get the right sock and insole combo I may pass these to another interested brother in the future

This photo is incredible. Do you mind telling me where you came across it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics