• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keeping an eye on these,too pricey for their condition IMO. I’m perplexed however that I can’t find them in the vintage AE catalogs though I swear I’ve seen them in one before. They seem to be from the 60’s with the “Nailess Cushioned Heel” but no mention of “Ostendo”.They are the “Saddle”,pre Polo or Oakmont or Shelton etc. Anyone have info on these?
Are you going to make a move on these?

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saddle soap seems to be a wedge issue. Russell Moccasin recommends it for their footwear, for what it's worth.

Speaking of Russell Moccasin - new snake boots arrived today. Not vintage, but nice boots by an American manufacturer.

20201125_102346.jpg
20201125_102336.jpg

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was this a thing at one point? I’ve had several pairs of vintage #8 shell just absolutely smothered in thick black polish. It’s really a pain to remove.

Why would you spend all that money on shell and then do that???
And I'll have to keep at it until it's all off. Going to be a while.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was this a thing at one point? I’ve had several pairs of vintage #8 shell just absolutely smothered in thick black polish. It’s really a pain to remove.

Why would you spend all that money on shell and then do that???

I imagine (speculate) that some previous owner felt a "dress shoe" needed to be black and acted accordingly.

vestbash

Reaction score
The NOS Nettleton received yesterday was good timing. It needed time to absorb some nourishment while I was still admiring the McHale bombers from Jim. After rounds of Bick4, Pure Polish and VSC, it starts to show less rigidity. For old shell, my approach is to slowly fit & stretch while applying generous oils/cream/condition/prayers along so that the moisturizer could penetrate stressed areas; hence, reinforcing them before they became irreversible damage. I prefer to underestimate the “end feel” when fit/stretch. It could take an evening or a few days, depending on the shoes’ condition.

This pair wasn’t as dry out as I initially thought. After a day, it seems to be good enough for some glamour shots.

I had high hope for Nettleton shell loafer. Unfortunately, this pair was made in the tail end of the company’s existence. It’s 270, not 360 bench. The SPI is low. The pair is on par with today’s AE quality, imo.

Here are some pics for your enjoyment

View attachment 1504326 View attachment 1504327 View attachment 1504328 View attachment 1504329

Are these welted? Most of the nettleton shell loafers I've had are partial moc construction.

Quantum17

Reaction score
Are these welted? Most of the nettleton shell loafers I've had are partial moc construction.
That’s a great question. I thought the welt stitching was more medial than usual (pic attached). I thought moc construction is referred more towards upper? I don’t have much experience with loafers, and would definitely love to know more
6092F4DC-D083-4B67-B61A-51111306E8A7.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The camel Dacks arrived today, just in time for Wingtip Wednesday. A little drink of Bicks, welt cleaning and some edge dressing and they are good to go. They date between late 1983 and 1987 based on the sock liner.

IMG_5834.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads