• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mistakenly posted modern AE Leeds PTBs in this thread earlier today. Here are some vintage AE Leeds...

20170425_115739.jpg
20170425_115610.jpg

...in faded burgundy shell cordovan.

Quantum17

Reaction score
Hey Q:
Thanks for the good thoughts. I must admit that to some people jokes are corny but the same joke to another would be high wit. Look at Oscar Wilde and he was a really dirty bugger.
kilowatts
I love Oscar Wilde until I came across his famous quote: “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” Now I’m just doing my best to be just like him ?

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are among my heroes, sir! It's a list including John Adams, Victor Hugo, Hemingway, John Nash, A. Bourdain and A. Fauci to name a few. To have your attention is humbling by itself. Hope you are having a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Edit: we crossed path on eBay in recent past. Idk if you remember.

Ha. Thank you. I don't measure up to those guys.

I have thought about writing an article in Hemingway's style. It would be an inside joke to myself.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of #8 Taylor-Made Imperials that were covered in black polish.
Was this a thing at one point? I’ve had several pairs of vintage #8 shell just absolutely smothered in thick black polish. It’s really a pain to remove.

Why would you spend all that money on shell and then do that???

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can buy these directly on Facebook? Or is it a link to ebay from Facebook?

People post links onto facebook. Still have to buy off of ebay.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was this a thing at one point? I’ve had several pairs of vintage #8 shell just absolutely smothered in thick black polish. It’s really a pain to remove.

Why would you spend all that money on shell and then do that???

I had 2 pairs like this. It is one of the great unsolved mysteries of this group.

Quantum17

Reaction score
The NOS Nettleton received yesterday was good timing. It needed time to absorb some nourishment while I was still admiring the McHale bombers from Jim. After rounds of Bick4, Pure Polish and VSC, it starts to show less rigidity. For old shell, my approach is to slowly fit & stretch while applying generous oils/cream/condition/prayers along so that the moisturizer could penetrate stressed areas; hence, reinforcing them before they became irreversible damage. I prefer to underestimate the “end feel” when fit/stretch. It could take an evening or a few days, depending on the shoes’ condition.

This pair wasn’t as dry out as I initially thought. After a day, it seems to be good enough for some glamour shots.

I had high hope for Nettleton shell loafer. Unfortunately, this pair was made in the tail end of the company’s existence. It’s 270, not 360 bench. The SPI is low. The pair is on par with today’s AE quality, imo.

Here are some pics for your enjoyment

865F9A82-351D-4633-9B7C-90F4683442C8.jpeg
BBE5EB3D-02A7-4AF9-BC1D-AF5BD7313A4E.jpeg
9AB92277-2613-48C6-847E-71950FF69AB0.jpeg
40230309-5512-4F0D-A976-3AEAA68956B5.jpeg

Last edited:

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The NOS Nettleton received yesterday was good timing. It needed time to absorb some nourishment while I was still admiring the McHale bombers from Jim. After rounds of Bick4, Pure Polish and VSC, it starts to show less rigidity. For old shell, my approach is to slowly fit & stretch while applying generous oils/cream/condition/prayers along so that the moisturizer could penetrate stressed areas; hence, reinforcing them before they became irreversible damage. I prefer to underestimate the “end feel” when fit/stretch. It could take an evening or a few days, depending on the shoes’ condition.

This pair wasn’t as dry out as I initially thought. After a day, it seems to be good enough for some glamour shots.

I had high hope for Nettleton shell loafer. Unfortunately, this pair was made in the tail end of the company’s existence. It’s 270, not 360 bench. The SPI is low. The pair is on par with today’s AE quality, imo.

Here are some pics for your enjoyment
Great shoes. Finding Nettleton shell is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads