• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys:
Back home and in bed. I feel like I’ve been run over by a truck and then he backed up and did it again. Nice and warm and very sleepy. Love those meds. ?
I’ll be back when I feel more coherent.
kilowatts

Good to hear from you, brother. Rest well, and relax. Hoping that your recovery will be quick and smooth.

If you need more shoe Appreciation to tie you over, just ask.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bourbon shell Leeds
20190815_171130.jpg

20190815_171214.jpg

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I have tried this a lot of times and it almost never works for me. Not a bad thing since it usually stops me from buying shoes that I shouldnt buy in the first place. I generally dislike dealing with auction formats.

It really depends on the seller, the market, and if the shoes are popular/known. In a nut shell, as lawyers would say "it really depends".

I've messaged sellers who set up an auction, and offered a fair price. Some don't even respond. Others reject it. And some either accepted my offer, or counter-offered.

I agree that when the seller says no, it's actually a blessing in disguise. I seriously doubt any of the members here "don't have enough shoes" or "need more."

Quantum17

Reaction score
Those are great.

I have a new favorite shop on Etsy.
You are among my heroes, sir! It's a list including John Adams, Victor Hugo, Hemingway, John Nash, A. Bourdain and A. Fauci to name a few. To have your attention is humbling by itself. Hope you are having a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Edit: we crossed path on eBay in recent past. Idk if you remember.

Last edited:

Quantum17

Reaction score
Good to hear from you, brother. Rest well, and relax. Hoping that your recovery will be quick and smooth.

If you need more shoe Appreciation to tie you over, just ask.
I commend you for your well intentioned offering. Some shoe Appreciation is prob a much needed relief. The question is, would the gentleman be able to raise his leg up? Asking for a friend.

Quantum17

Reaction score
Well, dear readers, it's been a few days since I shared my experiment on these dried out shell cordovan Imperials. Time for a status update?

As promised, I decided to thoroughly wash the experimental shoe with Fiebing's glycerin saddle soap (inside and out), not sparing any water. I wanted the uppers and the insole to be wet so that I could safely tree it without breakage.
View attachment 1503494

View attachment 1503495

And in went the tree. In retrospect, it was a bit large for the shoe. Hopefully I didn't cause any damage.
View attachment 1503496

View attachment 1503497

The shoe sat on the tile floor in my bathroom overnight.
View attachment 1503499

The following day I brushed the dried suds from the shell. The shoe is darker.
View attachment 1503498

Then I forgot to take pictures. It was a busy weekend. But, in short, the shoe got several liberal applications of Bick 4, both inside and out over the next day.

Tonight I noticed some residual soap in the broguing, so I went at it with a wet toothbrush and plucked it out. Then added a bit more Bick where I had just scrubbed and brushed like hell with my horsehair brush.

I decided to forego the usual Venetian Shoe Cream and instead went for the Colonil 1909. It got a light coat and more brushing.
View attachment 1503501

You can clearly see that the treated shoe is darker than the control.
View attachment 1503502

Will it lighten? That's anyone's guess. I suspect that it won't; that the cherry red color is a sign of dried-out, unhealthy shell. The treated shell is noticeably more supple and feels cool and healthy (if that's possible) to the touch.
View attachment 1503503

It needs some more brushing, thats for sure. Now, dear readers, what shall I do next? I'm chomping at the bit to treat the other shoe, but Mrs. Nealjpage and I are taking the kids to the coast on Wednesday for a few nights. Should I leave things as-is and observe any change in color then? Maybe after a few days of sitting some of the excess oils will dissipate, lightening the shell. What do you suggest?
You are wonderful! I'm taking notes! For experimental purposes, would you be open to try Pure Polish conditioner? The reason I'm suggesting is because I'm curious to see how NF oil would compare to coconut oil. In fact, I think Costco pure coconut oil might even work, but I'm not 100% certain (tho always been curious).

Edit: I'm not sure if Andy is active in the forum. Maybe he could chime in.

Last edited:

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are wonderful! I'm taking notes! For experimental purposes, would you be open to try Pure Polish conditioner? The reason I'm suggesting is because I'm curious to see how NF oil would compare to coconut oil. In fact, I think Costco pure coconut oil might even work, but I'm not 100% certain (tho always been curious).
I am, though I'll have to try with my next pair of desiccated shell.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys:
Back home and in bed. I feel like I’ve been run over by a truck and then he backed up and did it again. Nice and warm and very sleepy. Love those meds. ?
I’ll be back when I feel more coherent.
kilowatts
Welcome back, Kilo! You'll be playing tennis before you know it.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I have tried this a lot of times and it almost never works for me. Not a bad thing since it usually stops me from buying shoes that I shouldnt buy in the first place. I generally dislike dealing with auction formats.
Auctions are a great rush. I sometimes enjoy them more than BIN.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the doctor’s office this morning. Nothing serious. But chose serious footwear. 1981 Allen Edmonds Warton in black sharkskin.

5AB9BCFD-0ED2-42B4-9F1E-366B0A34944A.jpeg

03437A27-9935-4514-9E7C-53AC6B78DCF8.jpeg

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm loving this experiment - I've got a similar pair on my watchlist that may benefit from your science (assuming I get them). As far as your question, I'd leave them alone until you get back (and then maybe a report on the continued evolution of the treated shoe?).
As you wish. These will remain here until I return. I will document the condition and report my findings for the good of the Order.
20201124_094434.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads