• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quantum17

Reaction score
What is it with red shoes that I just can’t get enough of? In addition, if they are triple soled, yes please! That amount of all-day comfort is not easy to find these days. Lawyers, bankers, and bears, oh my. They can all benefit from such comfortable soles... Hmm, I might have mixed up the bears part. Anyway, I’m clicking my heels three time and say to myself: “There’s no place like home!” Hope y’all are having a wonderful time with your family and loved ones.

Presenting Canadian finest, the John McHale bombers in signature bright burgundy. I cannot recommend @Jiqea enough if you are exploring Canadian vintage shoes. Check his shop out when you have a chance.

https://etsy.me/2Rdwads

PS: oh there’s that NOS Nettleton shell penny loafers also arrived today. That’ll make another post once I’m done getting some nourishment into them. #PurePolish

Attachments

• DDACD04C-F3E3-4879-80BA-74CA3EF69B49.jpeg
    DDACD04C-F3E3-4879-80BA-74CA3EF69B49.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 25
  • 06A5652B-52F0-42E3-8232-B63145AE8EC0.jpeg
    06A5652B-52F0-42E3-8232-B63145AE8EC0.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 46953C05-7CEE-47B0-9976-CEBB47ABCCF1.jpeg
    46953C05-7CEE-47B0-9976-CEBB47ABCCF1.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 27
  • B68E2956-7E65-4F2C-969E-9EF270053105.jpeg
    B68E2956-7E65-4F2C-969E-9EF270053105.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 29

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is it with red shoes that I just can’t get enough of? In addition, if they are triple soled, yes please! That amount of all-day comfort is not easy to find these days. Lawyers, bankers, and bears, oh my. They can all benefit from such comfortable soles... Hmm, I might have mixed up the bears part. Anyway, I’m clicking my heels three time and say to myself: “There’s no place like home!” Hope y’all are having a wonderful time with your family and loved ones.

Presenting Canadian finest, the John McHale bombers in signature bright burgundy. I cannot recommend @Jiqea enough if you are exploring Canadian vintage shoes. Check his shop out when you have a chance.

PS: oh there’s that NOS Nettleton shell penny loafers also arrived today. That’ll make another post once I’m done getting some nourishment into them. #PurePolish

Some of the best shoes ever made.

Quantum17

Reaction score
Hi guys:
Back home and in bed. I feel like I’ve been run over by a truck and then he backed up and did it again. Nice and warm and very sleepy. Love those meds. ?
I’ll be back when I feel more coherent.
kilowatts
Hip hip hooray ?? someone get him a turkey leg, stat!!! Hope you are feeling better soon ? glad to have you back!

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok-this is probably the only reason that I’m interested in some beat up saddle shoes-because they kinda reminded me of one of my elusive grail/unicorn shoes-The Morgan! Which is what this totally misidentified “Tulane” actually is!—if you examine the eyelets closely you will see that this is not calfskin-confirmed by the model number-but black shell Cordovan!—-however,to make me extremely bummed,they are a size that fits NO ONE- -7.5B?!?! I can’t even gift them!:brick: Behold
View attachment 1502619

The Morgan is on my shortlist of unicorn shoes, too. This is the first time I've seen one outside of the catalog.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's literally what I just posted.

True, but pictures are only part of the story. What are your opinions of each after laying hands on both pairs?

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those are great.

I have a new favorite shop on Etsy.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After the fourth application of neatsfoot oil, and brushing.
View attachment 1502015

I decided to use some Bick 4 on them. I think "slather" is the proper verb. Here's an interesting observation. I figured that all of the NF would've saturated the shell and that the Bick would just sit on the surface, slowly soaking in. But it didn't. The shell sucked it right in; the outside was almost totally dry by the time I finished the interior. Here it is after a second slathering.
View attachment 1502018

And the control shoe is on the right. Notice the dab of Bick on the vamp?
View attachment 1502019

I put that there when I put the first coat on the experimental shoe. It didn't soak in much.
View attachment 1502022

Hypothesis: dried out shell doesn't readily accept leather creams. The shell must first be rehydrated with NF for Bick to be effective. Thoughts?
Well, dear readers, it's been a few days since I shared my experiment on these dried out shell cordovan Imperials. Time for a status update?

As promised, I decided to thoroughly wash the experimental shoe with Fiebing's glycerin saddle soap (inside and out), not sparing any water. I wanted the uppers and the insole to be wet so that I could safely tree it without breakage.
20201121_233617.jpg

20201121_233540.jpg

And in went the tree. In retrospect, it was a bit large for the shoe. Hopefully I didn't cause any damage.
20201121_233825.jpg

20201121_233838.jpg

The shoe sat on the tile floor in my bathroom overnight.
20201122_102952.jpg

The following day I brushed the dried suds from the shell. The shoe is darker.
20201122_103243.jpg

Then I forgot to take pictures. It was a busy weekend. But, in short, the shoe got several liberal applications of Bick 4, both inside and out over the next day.

Tonight I noticed some residual soap in the broguing, so I went at it with a wet toothbrush and plucked it out. Then added a bit more Bick where I had just scrubbed and brushed like hell with my horsehair brush.

I decided to forego the usual Venetian Shoe Cream and instead went for the Colonil 1909. It got a light coat and more brushing.
20201123_220249.jpg

You can clearly see that the treated shoe is darker than the control.
20201123_220317.jpg

Will it lighten? That's anyone's guess. I suspect that it won't; that the cherry red color is a sign of dried-out, unhealthy shell. The treated shell is noticeably more supple and feels cool and healthy (if that's possible) to the touch.
20201123_220347.jpg

It needs some more brushing, thats for sure. Now, dear readers, what shall I do next? I'm chomping at the bit to treat the other shoe, but Mrs. Nealjpage and I are taking the kids to the coast on Wednesday for a few nights. Should I leave things as-is and observe any change in color then? Maybe after a few days of sitting some of the excess oils will dissipate, lightening the shell. What do you suggest?

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys:
Back home and in bed. I feel like I’ve been run over by a truck and then he backed up and did it again. Nice and warm and very sleepy. Love those meds. ?
I’ll be back when I feel more coherent.
kilowatts
Good to hear! Hope you're back on your feet soon.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, dear readers, it's been a few days since I shared my experiment on these dried out shell cordovan Imperials. Time for a status update?

As promised, I decided to thoroughly wash the experimental shoe with Fiebing's glycerin saddle soap (inside and out), not sparing any water. I wanted the uppers and the insole to be wet so that I could safely tree it without breakage.
View attachment 1503494

View attachment 1503495

And in went the tree. In retrospect, it was a bit large for the shoe. Hopefully I didn't cause any damage.
View attachment 1503496

View attachment 1503497

View attachment 1503499

View attachment 1503498

Then I forgot to take pictures. It was a busy weekend. But, in short, the shoe got several liberal applications of Bick 4, both inside and out over the next day.

Tonight I noticed some residual soap in the broguing, so I went at it with a wet toothbrush and plucked it out. Then added a bit more Bick where I had just scrubbed and brushed like hell with my horsehair brush.

I decided to forego the usual Venetian Shoe Cream and instead went for the Colonil 1909. It got a light coat and more brushing.
View attachment 1503501

View attachment 1503502

Will it lighten? That's anyone's guess. I suspect that it won't; that the cherry red color is a sign of dried-out, unhealthy shell. The treated shell is noticeably more supple and feels cool and healthy (if that's possible) to the touch.
View attachment 1503503

It needs some more brushing, thats for sure. Now, dear readers, what shall I do next? I'm chomping at the bit to treat the other shoe, but Mrs. Nealjpage and I are taking the kids to the coast on Wednesday for a few nights. Should I leave things as-is and observe any change in color then? Maybe after a few days of sitting some of the excess oils will dissipate, lightening the shell. What do you suggest?
I'm loving this experiment - I've got a similar pair on my watchlist that may benefit from your science (assuming I get them). As far as your question, I'd leave them alone until you get back (and then maybe a report on the continued evolution of the treated shoe?).

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

View attachment 1503494

View attachment 1503495

View attachment 1503496

View attachment 1503497

View attachment 1503499

View attachment 1503498

View attachment 1503501

View attachment 1503502

View attachment 1503503

Excellent job. Really coming along well. I feel like I am right there with you. :) Always such joy bringing a pair back from the dead.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I have messaged sellers, even where it's an auction. I make an offer, and usually get a response.
It's less risk for the seller to get rid of item right away. But then the buyer loses the high of the auction.
True. I almost always offer directly to the seller when there is an auction. They usually take the offer.

Interesting, I have tried this a lot of times and it almost never works for me. Not a bad thing since it usually stops me from buying shoes that I shouldnt buy in the first place. I generally dislike dealing with auction formats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics