• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The venerable Hanover 714 House Slipper. Yeah, that just happened. Lol! Have a fantastic day Gents!
C8DA4F23-9FF7-432C-BFC0-7511C44644F7.jpeg

joman8390

Reaction score
Incoming: shell AE Sanfords. These are pretty cool. In fact, I didn't know these came in shell. The restrained and impulsive sides of my conscience fought for a couple of hours about whether I should make this purchase. I conferred with a member of my Shoe Buying Advisory Board (SBAB), @CWOyaji. He approved of the condition, style (could be worn to work or the grocery store), and the price ($90 shipped). After some bad experiences with dry shell, I asked the seller to inspect them carefully. This inspection included bending the eyelets to see if they crack. All tests came back negative. And so they are on their way to NorCal. View attachment 1485108 View attachment 1485109
I see that we are the same size. I had the same impulse and restrained myself for the same reason, they looked a bit dry with dark creases. I hope they turn out well! That was a great price!

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those are great looking shoes! I don’t know much about Edwin Clapp — other than the fact that I have lusted after some of the Alligator/Crocodile styles I have seen. I guess if they could be some of the best shoes of all time, I need to take a closer look at them!

Finest factory made shoe in the USA.

From the classic shoes site

Clapp began in operations as a textile mill in the first quarter of the 19th century, provided uniforms during Civil War. After surviving a catastrophic fire and a subsequent bankruptcy Clapp transformed itself in the middle of the century into a shoemaking operation and remained in operation, to my knowledge, until at least 1969. For much of the early 20th century, the Clapp shoe was synonymous with luxury and considered the panicle of the shoemaker’s craft. Their products were favoured by musicians and other celebrities, businessmen, and well dressed men of leisure. Jelly Roll Morton, speaking of jazz and turn of the century life in New Orleans, remarked in a 1938 recording now preserved in the Library of Congress, “I didn’t rest until I got myself a Stetson hat and a pair of Edwin Clapp shoes”. Clapp sold its products through regular trade channels but also operated two retail stores of their own in New York.

Few shoes in this website or anywhere compare to this elegant historical tour-de-force, either for hand-craftsmanship, for sheer beauty and certainly not for rarity.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mystery shell Florsheim PTBs. A cobbler rebuilt with house soles, sole protectors, and rubber heels. He dyed them to this chocolate brown.

20201027_081127.jpg
20201027_081134.jpg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see that we are the same size. I had the same impulse and restrained myself for the same reason, they looked a bit dry with dark creases. I hope they turn out well! That was a great price!
Good to know there’s another 9D brother. Fingers crossed that they aren’t dry!

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
They sold in one hour. I wish they were my size. The stitching is impressive.

Hi David.

Does your watch list of the quickly sold items (within hours of listing) added to your watch list after the sale?

Or do they make the watch list when they are first available?

Either way, it is a great to have your watchlist resource for browsing and for reference.

Last edited:

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to know there’s another 9D brother. Fingers crossed that they aren’t dry!
1wtmw6.jpg

Also, I've been known to wear 9D on occasion.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Is dyeing Shell as effective as dyeing calf? I would think that the dye would sort of eliminate all the interesting depth and variations that Shell has.

I did strip and re-dye a pair of #8 shell AE Leeds. I was aiming for more coke red but applied too many layers and it turned out a deep burgundy. It looks like a deep solid burgundy color which is nice. It did lack the lite translucent variation I was hoping for.

Maybe the next attempt will have better aim.

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

The continuing story of my parcels from Blaine....
I ordered seven parcels including 2 pairs of shoes, vintage LWB and NOS boots. They sat on the shelf in the post box company since April and the start of Covid. Recently I arranged for them to be mailed USPS to me from Blaine 10-15 minutes away from my house. They are being shipped to Canada from Blaine, WA via California and then to Quebec and from there to Vancouver! Democracy in action, eh? I guess they'll arrive sometime.

kilowatts

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys:

The continuing story of my parcels from Blaine....
I ordered seven parcels including 2 pairs of shoes, vintage LWB and NOS boots. They sat on the shelf in the post box company since April and the start of Covid. Recently I arranged for them to be mailed USPS to me from Blaine 10-15 minutes away from my house. They are being shipped to Canada from Blaine, WA via California and then to Quebec and from there to Vancouver! Democracy in action, eh? I guess they'll arrive sometime.

kilowatts
Well, that's USPS and Canada Post for you...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads