• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are interesting. The uppers look like shell and the cheap rubber sole also states Genuine Shell Cordovan. The stitching on the back of the left heel is terrible and the rubber sole is not a good sign. But, he is asking a reasonable price even though it is a cheap sole. I would also note that the Shell Cordovan Model website DOES list three pairs of shell for Jarmin. (That is an Update. Dang alphabet is hard and tricky.)
I found Freeman Shell last week. Condition was below the threshold I would buy, including dry rotted threads, but the model number isn't on the Shell Cordovan model.

I took the photos so I could submit the model to the list.

IMG_1874.jpeg
IMG_1875.jpeg

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that vintage Florsheim Shell are the best. I would also add Alden.

Sometimes Alden doesn’t get mentioned because they still make high quality. There are certainly other quality shoes that were made by lesser known companies. But, they would be pretty old. At one point (a long time ago), Nunn Bush made quality shoes. Johnston Murphy if they are old enough would be good.

One company that made really high quality premium shoes that runs under the radar somewhat is Footjoy. They did use Shell Cordovan, but not as much as other brands. Footjoy was also known for high quality exotic shoes.

I have some vintage Footjoy. But, I have never seen any Shell Cordovan Footjoy in person.

I will definitely have to pick up some of these other shoes as well.

I have a pair of slightly older Aldens, but I wouldn't call them Vintage. I also bought (and sold as it didn't fit me) a pair of Tailor Made shell cordovans from the early 60s.

I'll definitely see if I can get some Floersheims! I really, really like my Hanovers.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear 11.5 EEE or 12 EEE. Sometimes I can get away, in cordovan, with an E in size 12.

Thanks. I wear the same and I will keep that in mind when it comes time to move some pairs.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will definitely have to pick up some of these other shoes as well.

I have a pair of slightly older Aldens, but I wouldn't call them Vintage. I also bought (and sold as it didn't fit me) a pair of Tailor Made shell cordovans from the early 60s.

I'll definitely see if I can get some Floersheims! I really, really like my Hanovers.
I have a pair of Taylor-Made shell LWBs that I really like. They've been resoled at one point, and they were covered with black polish when I got them, but they cleaned up well and are in my regular rotation.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Taylor-Made shell LWBs that I really like. They've been resoled at one point, and they were covered with black polish when I got them, but they cleaned up well and are in my regular rotation.

They looked great when I got them, but sadly too small for my feet. I gave 'em to someone who really appreciated them, though.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
@davidVC et al.

I am curious about these Florsheim Royal Imperial Warwick 97611.

Are these the 70s successor to the Stratford 97606?

What are your opinion on them?

1601448357363.png

1601448384972.png

Even the back heel has a similar look.
1601448441469.jpeg

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't owned a pair and they are fairly rare but they do appear to be similar to the Stratford. The bull nose is the biggest difference. The model was made for a few years in the early 1970s.

It is probably a well constructed shoe. Florsheim was still making decent shoes then.

The style though is just a bit too much for me.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@davidVC et al.

I am curious about these Florsheim Royal Imperial Warwick 97611.

Are these the 70s successor to the Stratford 97606?

What are your opinion on them?

View attachment 1468275

View attachment 1468276

Even the back heel has a similar look.
View attachment 1468277

One of their best ever colours...IMHO

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

I have and have had the following:
Florsheim shell LWB and PTB
Alden shell chukka
AE shell Leeds PTB
Hanover shell PTB and LWB
Barrie Ltd. shell PTB made in England by some Northampton firm.

I can't see much difference between them, apart from the obvious design and proprietary construction methods. All are excellent shoes which would cost a lot at retail today and which I'm glad to have owned at knock down prices. I have to say that I'm kind of through with shell, though. I guess having the most expensive shoes in the room must mean something to people though, although I prefer to have the best quality for the least price! That's why we're all here and not a retail Alden/bespoke shoe site, eh?

Another point:

I've noticed some prices being mentioned for used shoes on the site in amounts I feel are extremely high. This is not a rant or a criticism, but for many years my upper level was around $US30.00 and for that I have had several pairs of NOS vintage gems. I have a very hard time condoning much more than ten to fifteen cents on the retail dollar for anything used of any kind and in my opinion shoes are no exception. If I wanted to pay more there are many retail stores where I could do just that. Further, while I no longer haunt eBay as much as I did, I see prices climbing higher and higher. I believe this to be the fault of the buyer who is prepared to pay high prices in the auction process allowing flippers to thrive. No problem with flippers, no problem with auctions but the solution to high prices is to pay less or do without.
Just a thought, guys.

kilowatts
I'm a collector. I don't buy based on what I have use for. This is my hobby. Supply is limited and nonfungible with new shoes. Demand continues to grow, so I pay higher prices. That's just how it is (to me).

hamercha

Reaction score
I haven't owned a pair and they are fairly rare but they do appear to be similar to the Stratford. The bull nose is the biggest difference. The model was made for a few years in the early 1970s.

It is probably a well constructed shoe. Florsheim was still making decent shoes then.

The style though is just a bit too much for me.
I have bull nose longwing by the Brown Shoes made in Canadian with more than an inch of heel height. Are all bull nose and high heel made in 70s?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads