• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hamercha

Reaction score

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure you're looking at the same listing?
5AEA612E-DCDA-4DF3-A292-1543A49BE6B7.jpeg

hamercha

Reaction score
View attachment 1466056
Yes, this is rubber sole. Notice the color difference between the original sole color and the where the weight lies. I have not seen such color difference. leather sole do not get dark black.
The roll of the leather does look like shell. If the leather is indeed shell, it looks like this Is a low budget manufacturer and is trying to make shoe that is way above their normal category.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, this is rubber sole. Notice the color difference between the original sole color and the where the weight lies. I have not seen such color difference. leather sole do not get dark black.
The roll of the leather does look like shell. If the leather is indeed shell, it looks like this Is a low budget manufacturer and is trying to make shoe that is way above their normal category.

These are interesting. The uppers look like shell and the cheap rubber sole also states Genuine Shell Cordovan. The stitching on the back of the left heel is terrible and the rubber sole is not a good sign. But, he is asking a reasonable price even though it is a cheap sole. I would also note that the Shell Cordovan Model website DOES list three pairs of shell for Jarmin. (That is an Update. Dang alphabet is hard and tricky.)

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are interesting. The uppers look like shell and the cheap rubber sole also states Genuine Shell Cordovan. The stitching on the back of the left heel is terrible and the rubber sole is not a good sign. But, he is asking a reasonable price even though it is a cheap sole. I would also note that the Shell Cordovan Model website does not list a single pair for Jarmin as a maker of a shell model.
They are definitely shell. I thought about it but with two pairs of 93605s and pair of 1988 shell MacNeils, I just don’t see these getting into the rotation. Decent price though.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sloppy stitching and the rubber sole makes me think that this is not a shell.
View attachment 1466056
These are interesting. The uppers look like shell and the cheap rubber sole also states Genuine Shell Cordovan. The stitching on the back of the left heel is terrible and the rubber sole is not a good sign. But, he is asking a reasonable price even though it is a cheap sole. I would also note that the Shell Cordovan Model website does not list a single pair for Jarmin as a maker of a shell model.

For what it's worth, I think these are shell. Granted the stitching work is rather sloppy. But I have a pair of shell Stuart McGuires that also have sloppy stitch work.

The rolls, markings on the soles indicating they are shell, and the overall patina push me to think these are shell cordovan.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I think these are shell. Granted the stitching work is rather sloppy. But I have a pair of shell Stuart McGuires that also have sloppy stitch work.

The rolls, markings on the soles indicating they are shell, and the overall patina push me to think these are shell cordovan.

This is a short wing pair, but Jarman were certainly advertizing Shell shoes through the 50s. This ad ran from 53-56.

Jarman 1953.JPG

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
This is a short wing pair, but Jarman were certainly advertizing Shell shoes through the 50s. This ad ran from 53-56.

View attachment 1466114
40s-50s Jarman shoes as the pair in the add are, in my opinion, are good quality. Glove leather linings, good leather soles, etc. The pair for sale is not from this period. Like @friendlygoz, I gave them some thought, but will pass.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted to bump this question again.
Does anyone recognize the size/model markings or construction on these? The wrap around heel lining seems unique, as it is only on one side. They were private labeled for a North Carolina shoe store chain. Trying to figure out which manufacturer made them.

38B4430E-62F4-4CD3-81DC-4D4BA45A6D17.jpeg

4272B67F-0ACD-4017-8538-07FD2922957B.jpeg

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
40s-50s Jarman shoes as the pair in the add are, in my opinion, are good quality. Glove leather linings, good leather soles, etc. The pair for sale is not from this period. Like @friendlygoz, I gave them some thought, but will pass.
$16. Ask your representative why we need inflation. We don’t. What a racket.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads