• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not usually a fan of trying to create a particular well known style using dye. I wanted a pair of Golden Harvest and rather than “creating” a pair, I made myself wait for a pair. Having said that, this post is going to be completely hypocritical!

I have not given up the search for a “Forest” or “weathered Moss”. I do know that weathered Moss is more brown and if I really want a green pair, I’ll have to find the extremely rare “Forest.”

However, I had a pair of 93602 that had years of gunk and brown polish caked on. I previously cleaned them up and sanded them to get a natural edge. I liked them. Yet, I really wanted green. Ever since I found and subsequently traded a green pair to @eTrojan, I have been pining for a pair.

Here are the fruits of my labors. I wanted the color to a good mix of brown and green. Not too green and not too brown. The photos are a little off because they have a little more brown in person.

I really like the result. Now, I have to figure out if I will wear them and when!

View attachment 1458759 View attachment 1458760 View attachment 1458761
Nice work. I stumbled across a pair of weathered moss a few weeks back and hope to be able to cram my feet into them from time to time. They're just a smidge too small. Close enough.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I came across these AE Shelton saddles last night and rather than buy them then, I decided to sleep on it and now they're gone. What did I miss out on? Seal?
Screenshot_20200915-112103_eBay.jpg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I came across these AE Shelton saddles last night and rather than buy them then, I decided to sleep on it and now they're gone. What did I miss out on? Seal?
View attachment 1458906

Maybe Shark? They are great looking! Sorry you missed them.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same boat. One pair of AE Bedford from the 1980s and a 93602 from 1963.

I have broken in a pair of more recent Alden 909s and a Crosby Square from the 1960s, so I haven't completely surrendered to leaving NOS as-is.
I tell myself I’m ok with wearing NOS pairs as I have added several to the rotation, but I still have 40 NOS pairs, so maybe I really do have a NOS problem.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1458906

Yes, You missed out. Never sleep on it. The life blood of collecting vintage shoes is impulse purchases and I think they were shark.

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question... but it's not meant to be... I just bought a pair of: Vintage Florsheim Royal Imperial Kenmoor 96624 for about $130 with shipping. From the labeling inside (Royal Imperial with a date code AB) I believe these are from January 1991 (I understand that they changed the 96624 from "Royal Imperial" to "Imperial Quality" in 1996 and stopped making the shoes in 2001...so I'm assuming the AB is for 1/91 and not 1/01)... To me they look in pretty good shape from the pictures, but would like some feedback from people much more expert than me in vintage and near-vintage shoes.... also, and here is the stupid part... How do you go about cleaning the inside of used shoes before wearing them...without damaging anything?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question... but it's not meant to be... I just bought a pair of: Vintage Florsheim Royal Imperial Kenmoor 96624 for about $130 with shipping. From the labeling inside (Royal Imperial with a date code AB) I believe these are from January 1991 (I understand that they changed the 96624 from "Royal Imperial" to "Imperial Quality" in 1996 and stopped making the shoes in 2001...so I'm assuming the AB is for 1/91 and not 1/01)... To me they look in pretty good shape from the pictures, but would like some feedback from people much more expert than me in vintage and near-vintage shoes.... also, and here is the stupid part... How do you go about cleaning the inside of used shoes before wearing them...without damaging anything?

Welcome to the forum in general and the thread specifically. Congrats on the Florsheims. I have the same model and they are great shoes. Disinfecting shoes is one of the very few topics that causes vigorous discussion on this thread and I would rather not rehash what has already been discussed several times. BUT, click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner of the screen, enter "disinfect", then select "This thread" from the drop down and then search. You will see all prior posts about the subject on both sides of the issue.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a good collection of vintage shoes and I am grateful to have it. Genuinely.

Most of the collection was found at estate sales or thrift stores. But, when circumstances allowed, I have spent real money to acquire some of my Holy Grail items. (Not very often because I’m pretty thrifty)

I am astonished sometimes when I see some of the collections especially on the Alden thread. Some people have dozens of exotic colors of Shell Cordovan. Some of these shoes/boots would cost 1000s EACH! Am I just naive and too cheap to imagine spending thousands on a single pair?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not criticizing anyone. Everyone had their thing and we all have different lifestyles. If I had unlimited disposable income, I’m sure I would have an incredible collection of exotic Shell!

I’m not sure what the point of this post is. Perhaps I’m just jealous of some collections. Or maybe I’m just procrastinating because I have work to do that I don’t really want to do.

Sorry for rant. Back to work! :)

I don't think you are being naive, but I think you are seeing a very few people that have collected a number of pairs over a long period of time. Very few people have such collections or have spent what you may think. Besides, they can be envious of you. You are one of the fortunate people that have NOS Florsheims and pairs of Golden Harvest on the way. It's often a matter of being in the right place at the right time and constantly on the hunt.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you are being naive, but I think you are seeing a very few people that have collected a number of pairs over a long period of time. Very few people have such collections or have spent what you may think. Besides, they can be envious of you. You are one of the fortunate people that have NOS Florsheims and pairs of Golden Harvest on the way. It's often a matter of being in the right place at the right time and constantly on the hunt.

Thats true. We all have our thing. :) and you are right a collection can take decades to build.

And yes, I am very grateful I lucked into finding Golden Harvest. The seller was only interested in selling his new pairs. When I asked him about Golden Harvest, he acted as if I wouldn’t want a used pair! I quickly convinced him otherwise.

One thing made me a little ill. He said he has given away some of his NOS Florsheim to people he worked with before he knew they had value. Although, by the time I got hold of him, he was pretty well educated about values and drove a pretty hard bargain.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
View attachment 1458906

Not sure what size you wear but I am about to list a pair of Florsheim shark saddles. Might be a good consolation prize? I bought them a few months ago and proceeded to not wear them even once. Just too many shoes and need to make some room for new pairs I just bought. They are in excellent original condition... I can double check the size and take a pic if interested.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what size you wear but I am about to list a pair of Florsheim shark saddles. Might be a good consolation prize? I bought them a few months ago and proceeded to not wear them even once. Just too many shoes and need to make some room for new pairs I just bought. They are in excellent original condition... I can double check the size and take a pic if interested.

10.5 or 11 C or D. Although I have several pAir of shark shoes!

whoops you weren’t talking to me!
Hopefully @Nealjpage can get them.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum in general and the thread specifically. Congrats on the Florsheims. I have the same model and they are great shoes. Disinfecting shoes is one of the very few topics that causes vigorous discussion on this thread and I would rather not rehash what has already been discussed several times. BUT, click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner of the screen, enter "disinfect", then select "This thread" from the drop down and then search. You will see all prior posts about the subject on both sides of the issue.

Agree... there is also good discussion about this on vcleat.com.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm usually an 8.5D, but that seems to be changing as I get older.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record I scrub the insides with saddle soap.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, You missed out. Never sleep on it. The life blood of collecting vintage shoes is impulse purchases and I think they were shark.

But they weren't the shark unicorns. There is a model of AE saddle oxfords that are shark with a shell cordovan saddle. These appear to have creasing on the saddle consistent with calfskin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics