• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
Yes, Sacramento County of California. 110F today.

May I will put some standing water to aid humidity.
Man, that's a tough one, Frank. Maybe move shell and exotics in the house? Living in MN, I can tell you even at -30F (lowest air temp I know I've experienced) my leather shoes were fine, but the wax on the surface shattered when I stepped out of the garage (doesn't even need to be that cold). The absolute humidity is crazy low when it gets that cold, and oils that normally lubricate no longer do so. Diesel gels over and gasoline can too in colder rural areas, so petroleum based leather care products... who knows what happens. In an absolute sense, heat may not be so bad because the air holds a lot more mositure, but I'm not that kind of scientist.

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
I got some Hanover LB's for a buddy and am reworking them. To something. I started with the Renomat and decide to go with acetone. Much faster ;) Pretty good shape and soles look good, $26. Made in the USA.

—so it basically turns into chili because I put Brown into it. Fueling dye. Let it dry overnight and color still comes off of it when I buff Why is that?
View attachment 1440613
View attachment 1440614
View attachment 1440811
I'd like to know more about how you did this fine work. Do you by the industrial acetone? Nail varnish remover definitely wouldn't cut it here.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know more about how you did this fine work. Do you by the industrial acetone? Nail varnish remover definitely wouldn't cut it here.
Ha! I didn't know there was industrial strength. I'm just feeling my way through this. I went to Beauty Supply ant got the 100% pure acetone. I've learned just soaking and wiping off is not getting all the old stuff off. I have to add some elbow grease (thank you mreams99). In the picture I will have to redo the completed one because the new dye I applied is coming off. I'll try to post later today.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it just me, or would your life be substantially better with a new entry on vcleat.com? I get the shakes without one.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoever told me that wholesale changes to shoes through stripping and dying was not worth it was probably right. Ugh. Updates to follow

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I have poured acetone all over a shoe to get the old polish off is there any point in following up with RenoMatt? I continue to scrub and scrub but I guess acetone is the stronger stuff right? I should do a video on this mistake of a project.
my real question is when can I apply dye? I would assume I want to get as much old color off as possible so that it is not ‘in the way.’ Thanks for any comments

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got some Hanover LB's for a buddy and am reworking them. To something. I started with the Renomat and decide to go with acetone. Much faster ;) Pretty good shape and soles look good, $26. Made in the USA.

—so it basically turns into chili because I put Brown into it. Fueling dye. Let it dry overnight and color still comes off of it when I buff Why is that?

I've now done the right shoe going at it with more acetone and more detail. Will try to dye. I heard on Elegant Oxford to let the dye cure in the sun a few days. I didn't do that with the left shoe (and the dye comes off with rubbing) Have to redo it. fun. (sarcasm)
View attachment 1440613
View attachment 1440614
View attachment 1440811
IMG_1310.JPG

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based the on the photos of them prior to stripping them, they look like they are CG. According to others who have tried to strip CG (See @wasmisterfu’s winning restoration challenge submission), it takes a ton of work to strip that stuff off of leather. But, once you do, the leather underneath is usually pretty nice, so I’ve heard. I think the difficulties are in countering is due to the fact that they are CG.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based the on the photos of them prior to stripping them, they look like they are CG. According to others who have tried to strip CG (See @wasmisterfu’s winning restoration challenge submission), it takes a ton of work to strip that stuff off of leather. But, once you do, the leather underneath is usually pretty nice, so I’ve heard. I think the difficulties are in countering is due to the fact that they are CG.
I didn't even consider that! But makes sense. They didn't impress me as CG but I don't have much experience. Have to see it through......
Thanks for the info

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might be a catch. Sometimes dumb luck. Either way, enjoy them!
There is a pair on eBay right now that is an 8511. At $300. Know anything of that version? Before I go off searching. Thanks

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The
This shoe took the dye much better. This has turned into much more than I anticipated. There is hope.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics