• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the insight. Thanks very much

I usually wear an A-width on TTS, but some shoes I move to an AA-width for a better fit (usually heel slip issues). These were a AA that fit like a AAA.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the best vintage AE MacNeil pairs I have seen in years.

1597033837779.png

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just in: vintage shoe trees. I got a pair made by Nettleton and two other pairs from Yugoslavia. The latter fill a hole in my shoe tree collection, since before these I didn’t own any Cold-War-era shoe trees made in communist Europe.
4E18D281-5480-4715-A08F-AA72F01C7EE1.jpeg
A5FB52F1-DFEF-460F-9ACC-8DE6B1ED72B2.jpeg
5CE93C0C-38FF-4FF6-8FFF-0A05FD274160.jpeg

Last edited:

dddggjj

Reaction score
I don't know of this question has been asked of you before (I don't remember seeing the question asked here) but I was wondering if you ever had any of your shoes rebuilt/renewed and how difficult it was for a cobbler to complete? Or have you done most of the work yourself? Have you mostly dealt with shoes in good condition that don't need much work? Some of your shoes are rather unique and I would think more difficult to rebuild if needed.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just reading about pre 1957 dating code on vcleat. Except the date code doesn't match. I guess the "S" is not what I thought. Still cool but not my size.
These are actually from the 70s. The model number looks like an early model number, but I believe they also used numbers like that for custom orders. A pre-1956 shoe will have a model number, but will not have a date code.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know of this question has been asked of you before (I don't remember seeing the question asked here) but I was wondering if you ever had any of your shoes rebuilt/renewed and how difficult it was for a cobbler to complete? Or have you done most of the work yourself? Have you mostly dealt with shoes in good condition that don't need much work? Some of your shoes are rather unique and I would think more difficult to rebuild if needed.
I have not had any rebuilt. I want to preserve as much originality as possible in my shoes. As they say, they’re only original once.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

KotaB

Reaction score

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is not the size indicated by the 9. That is the quality control number which will always be between 1 and 15. The size would have been stamped to the far left and has worn away. Best to get good measurements with these. Nice shoes.
Here is a photo I got from the seller.

Screenshot_20200810-162220_eBay.jpg

And his response: "I double checked and it only has the "9", but no letter for width. I measured across the bottom at the widest section and it's 4.5 inches."

Should I ask him to measure the length, too? Or is there enough information in his picture?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a photo I got from the seller.

View attachment 1438920

And his response: "I double checked and it only has the "9", but no letter for width. I measured across the bottom at the widest section and it's 4.5 inches."

Should I ask him to measure the length, too? Or is there enough information in his picture?

The numbers to the left are the size. I believe I see 395.

9.5C.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you fellas think of these Dexter's quality wise and current condition. I never seen a U-Longwing.
I may be an outlier here, but I have never thought highly of dexter. Also, these are a few decades later than 1950s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads