• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that I need a pair of Dacks. These are reasonably priced, and in the US so I don't have to deal with customs.

View attachment 1438395

View attachment 1438396

View attachment 1438397

They are stamped as a 9. I assume that's a Canadian 9. Hey, @suitforcourt how does that size compare to a US 9? Conversions and exchange rates were never my strong suit.

Dacks length, matches US companies. The issue is the width. It's rubbed out so I can't tell. Can you take pics of both shoes in terms of interior markings?

Dacks used the UK system of width, so letters were A to G.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dacks length, matches US companies. The issue is the width. It's rubbed out so I can't tell. Can you take pics of both shoes in terms of interior markings?

Dacks used the UK system of width, so letters were A to G.
I will ask the seller for that info and report back.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that I need a pair of Dacks. These are reasonably priced, and in the US so I don't have to deal with customs.

View attachment 1438395

View attachment 1438396

View attachment 1438397

They are stamped as a 9. I assume that's a Canadian 9. Hey, @suitforcourt how does that size compare to a US 9? Conversions and exchange rates were never my strong suit.
That is not the size indicated by the 9. That is the quality control number which will always be between 1 and 15. The size would have been stamped to the far left and has worn away. Best to get good measurements with these. Nice shoes.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are well into the dog days of the shoe summer here in Canada. I have made very few acquisitions since June. But today these lovely early 1950's Dack's Clarendons came in. They have the the Custom Grade sock liner that was used between 1949 and 1958, and a 3 digit style code, indicating that they predate 1955. They have only been worn a few times with the sole stamping still visible and the heels in perfect shape.

1957 Clarendon.JPG
IMG_4695.jpg
IMG_4696.jpg
IMG_4699.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My second treat of the day was this pair of late 50's or early 60's Hartt short wings. It is rare to find the brogue short-wings on the famed Brentwood last, which one normally see with the plain cap-toe variant. These would have been one of Hartt's top end offerings in their day. I just love the flower vase medallion on this pair.

IMG_4711.jpg
IMG_4710.jpg

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alan McAfee

Anyone know how they size? I’m a 12c. There is a pair I have been watching labeled 12c.

The one pair I acquired ran small. They were labeled 13AA but were very, very snug. I kept putting them on hoping it was just a “fat foot” day, but I couldn’t get them comfortable enough to wear, which is a shame because they’re beautiful shoes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233592057680

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one pair I acquired ran small. They were labeled 13AA but were very, very snug. I kept putting them on hoping it was just a “fat foot” day, but I couldn’t get them comfortable enough to wear, which is a shame because they’re beautiful shoes.

Appreciate the insight. Thanks very much

Hotel Cali

Reaction score

Click on your link and saw these NOS Alan McAfee Spectator size 9.5 at $50.
Good deal for someone.

1597019797879.png

Last edited:

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where would you guys date these EE taylor made Florsheims? 40s? 50s?
1970s. I don't think they have any connection to Florsheim, and I'm thinking that's just textured calf, not seal skin. Still pretty cool shoes though.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I was conditioning a pair of shell Florsheim LWBs today and noticed they are cracking around the eyelets. This is the second pair where I've noticed this over as many weeks. I asked myself, is this just the way vintage shell is and I just never paid enough attention?

I carefully inspected the six pairs I own, and sure enough, every pair that are not NOS (4/4) showed small cracks either around they eyelets or in the brogueing. I then turned to ebay for more evidence. of the 16 pairs of LWBs that came up searching for "vintage Florsheim shell cordovan", two lacked sufficient pictures to make a determination, 10 showed cracking, and four did not. Of the four that did not, two were NOS, and two were late 90's or early 2000s models.

So, in the absence of a larger sample, the answer to my question seems to be "yes". If they are worn, and more than 25 years old, there is probably some form of cracking, but it tends to go unnoticed. As long as one does not screw around trying to examine the cracks through flexing them, those around the eyelets and in the brougeing must be fairly stable.

Then again, n = 20 isn't good, and those that don't show cracking may simply sell right away.

Maybe we should setup a poll? Or collect input on maintenance from those that have not been running into this issue. I've only run into cracked eyelets one time and it was on the very first pair that I bought and my own fault since I didn't know not to try them on prior to conditioning. Would they have torn anyway? I don't know.

Since that time, I've been extremely careful about buying pairs without cracks and I condition with some combination of neatsfoot oil (if particularly dry), bick4, and vsc. I tend to use a bunch of heavy coats of bick4 to the point where the shoes are saturated and dull for a week until the shell gradually normalizes and can be brushed to a normal shine. For pairs that I have put through this type of treatment and maintained, I haven't run into issues so far (knock on wood). Having said that, I have a lot of shoes (not as many as you though) and some of my vintage shell just don't get worn all that often. Whether that is better or worse, I am not sure.

vestbash

Reaction score
1970s. I don't think they have any connection to Florsheim, and I'm thinking that's just textured calf, not seal skin. Still pretty cool shoes though.

Yes, you're right about the Florsheim part. They're just EE taylor.

The leather is not printed/stamped/rolled. The grain structure makes that much evident. The leather could certainly not be seal, but it is not a printed calf for sure.

I've had EE taylor made shoes for Cole Haan in shell cordovan and private label EE taylors for other makers that used the same exact heel base construction from the 1950s or 1960s. I would be very surprised to learn that this shoe dates to the 1970s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads