• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's haul, Part I

20200801_221926.jpg

Vintage Nunn-Bush, Florsheim Imperial NST, NOS Florsheim PTBs.

Part II

20200801_222436.jpg

Regal, Florsheim plain toe boots, Florsheim horsebit loafers.

All are 7.5 D or 7.5 E, but they should clean up ok.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

vestbash

Reaction score

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next shoe question- Stuart Holmes, which I've read here is mid or lower level. Is this CG? I often wonder when really shiny. The sole stitch looks odd to me but is that also a lot of dust? I was interested because they were supposed to be USA made, after searching through vcleat's list. Thanks, as always.
1596393045269.png

vestbash

Reaction score
Next shoe question- Stuart Holmes, which I've read here is mid or lower level. Is this CG? I often wonder when really shiny. The sole stitch looks odd to me but is that also a lot of dust? I was interested because they were supposed to be USA made, after searching through vcleat's list. Thanks, as always.
View attachment 1434921

Yes, they are corrected grain. There were many, many welted shoes that we would consider to be of very inferior quality. On this shoe as well, a lot of the the components look synthetic including the heel bases and rand.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting Florsheim plain toe boots - boots without lace on second picture. What is the name of the style?
I'm not sure. The model is 21105, and the date code is DI (probably April, 1968). That model doesn't appear in the 1969 catalog that @davidVC has on his website.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, they are corrected grain. There were many, many welted shoes that we would consider to be of very inferior quality. On this shoe as well, a lot of the the components look synthetic including the heel bases and rand.

Could be a "unit" sole.
A unit sole is basically one piece designed to look like several components. The sole, sole stitching, (sometimes) a mid-sole, out sole, heel base and, top-lift are all molded together to look like several individual layers. The upper of the shoe simply gets glued to the unit sole. Because of this construction there is no foot-bed. Just the upper glued to the unit sole. It's a cheap (mock) way of making a low quality constructed shoe look like a high-grade constructed one.
This video touches on some of the aspects:

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
Picked these 92612s up a couple of weeks ago. They are in much better shape than the eBay pictures suggested, but are still old shell, which I need to learn to stop buying. The last picture is how problems begin.
IMG_20200802_161010595_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200802_161110810_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200802_161043193.jpg

On another note, I read somewhere that Horween starts both color 8 and black with the same due, then stains them accordingly. This seems to be true.
Polish_20200802_161927003.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200802_161010595_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200802_161010595_HDR.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200802_161110810_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200802_161110810_HDR.jpg
    603.2 KB · Views: 3

vestbash

Reaction score
Could be a "unit" sole.
A unit sole is basically one piece designed to look like several components. The sole, sole stitching, (sometimes) a mid-sole, out sole, heel base and, top-lift are all molded together to look like several individual layers. The upper of the shoe simply gets glued to the unit sole. Because of this construction there is no foot-bed. Just the upper glued to the unit sole. It's a cheap (mock) way of making a low quality constructed shoe look like a high-grade constructed one.
This video touches on some of the aspects:

Thanks Nick. I'm familiar with those methods. Based on what I am seeing this is not the case because the shoes look to be genuinely welted and has separate pieces for the components I mentioned. We can certainly agree that this shoe is of poor quality.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
My poor man's Golden Harvest didn't turn out very golden.

The Angelus Gold color dye turn out to be dark tan gold almost matching the original light brown. See compare against original NOS.

So bright yellow dye would be likely be a better choice to get the mustard golden harverst color. So I punt for another day and switch course.

What do you guys think of the dyed color?

0801202110a.jpg

0802200639.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My poor man's Golden Harvest didn't turn out very golden.

The Angelus Gold color dye turn out to be dark tan gold almost matching the original light brown. See compare against original NOS.

So bright yellow dye would be likely be a better choice to get the mustard golden harverst color. So I punt for another day and switch course.

What do you guys think of the dyed color?

View attachment 1435020
View attachment 1435019

I’m liking the yellow. Much closer to GH.

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
Thanks for this input. Between concerns about the legality and ethics of this potential purchase, and that “they don’t seem wearable,” It would seem wise to pass. They are cool though.
I was looking back through the groups old posts and found this. I'm the buyer and they are taking nicely to conditioning. Several rounds of Bick exotic followed by mink oil and the dryness is gone. Turtle micro cracks easy, but seldom splits between the scales as does alligator/crocodile.

Turtle is often sold on eBay as "sea alligator" to get around CITES regulations, which I didn't know untill after buying several pairs. Because Clapp closed before the CITES treaty went into effect, they are legal to buy/sell according to the treaty (as I read it, @suitforcourt may know better). State laws may differ.
IMG_20200802_180457264.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads