• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll have to look again,I thought I saw the cracking on the brogueing rather than the main body of the heel. That would indicate the crack couldn’t spread very far

Sorry, I meant the heel area, but specifically the brogueing area. They are otherwise a decent looking pair for that price.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is precisely how I would rank them,Alden are great shoes,don’t get me wrong,but they have a rather cultish following and resell on eBay for much more than other brands. That said,I agree with @mormonopoly that vintage Florsheim Imperials are top drawer longwings,but importantly I agree with his putting Nettleton (Traditionals) second,ahead of Alden.They have double stitching (like Florsheim) where Alden is single stitched (admittedly hair splitting). Nettleton is underrated among the non-nerd aficionados and often reasonably priced.

Alden is a cult, but they don't annoy me. Both Alden and AE resell prices are totally unreasonable. Vintage Florsheim is getting there.

hamercha

Reaction score
That is precisely how I would rank them,Alden are great shoes,don’t get me wrong,but they have a rather cultish following and resell on eBay for much more than other brands. That said,I agree with @mormonopoly that vintage Florsheim Imperials are top drawer longwings,but importantly I agree with his putting Nettleton (Traditionals) second,ahead of Alden.They have double stitching (like Florsheim) where Alden is single stitched (admittedly hair splitting). Nettleton is underrated among the non-nerd aficionados and often reasonably priced.
From the sample size of about 7 Vintage Florsheim Imperials I have and 1000+ new Aldens I have sold, I would say Florsheim and Alden are very close. Alden did have issue with slightly sloppy stitching - for e.g.; sometime the thread at the end is not cut. Again, I am comparing new Alden with the Vintage, not an apple to apple comparision as when I was working in the store in late 90's Florsheim was past its prime and we did not carry it on our store either.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden is a cult, but they don't annoy me. Both Alden and AE resell prices are totally unreasonable. Vintage Florsheim is getting there.
Living in Wisconsin I’m constantly thrifting AE’s and certain models(Strand,Park Avenues) have good resale but that’s not true of all of their models. As David has said,”the Alden Army is strong”-I’ve sold beater Aldens for prices that I couldn’t pay someone to take similar AEs off my hands. As far as new AE fans,they constantly have sales to enable the addiction. Alden definitely does not.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based the on the shoes I’ve handled here’s how I would rank them: Florsheim imperial > Nettleton > Alden > Vintage Allen Edmonds > LB Sheppard and Aristocraft >>> modern Allen Edmonds. This is specifically a ranking of their longwings around the 70s-80s which I think is what you were asking for.
I would mostly agree with this ranking. I’ve never owned a pair of Alden. But, I might put vintage Allen Edmonds slightly ahead of Alden because they are more readily available, sell for less, and have a wider range of styles. They are also incredibly well-made (early 80s to early 90s are the best ). In terms of quality of the vintage versions, I assume there’s not much separating them. But overall, I think this ranking is spot on.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And suddenly I'm back in the game.

That Imperial LWB right there? 93630 Weathered Moss.

20200801_164007.jpg

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
@Joe Wohkittel Did you relent and bought the NOS Double Vcleat at $575? o_O
View attachment 1434218

Seems like the price for NOS Double Vcleat is $450 and up. Here is another one with bidding up to $472.
View attachment 1434217
****. I deliberated it many, many times, but didnt. $575 was just too high (for me) but I had a feeling they'd sell eventually. I guess I'll have to hope they come back on the market. It wouldn't be the first time I've missed a pair and bought them on a rebound. Otherwise, I'll be kicking myself for the next decade.

Last edited:

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
And suddenly I'm back in the game.

That Imperial LWB right there? 93630 Weathered Moss.

View attachment 1434533
Man, your posts make me consider checking out thrift stores. I have friends who go, but I generally hear that because Minnesota is far from a fashion Mecca, and the weather is so hard on shoes, it's not a fruitful endeavor. I am a bit green at the moment...

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
Love to see these type of commentaries from long-time collectors' experiences.

I am surprise to see how low LB Sheppard and Aristocraft lands on your ranking.

Sir @meister @davidVC @vestbash Do you have a ranking opinions on the brands you had experiences with (Clapp, Stetson, Florsheim, etc, etc.)?
My initial thought was the same as Vestbash, it's entirely a function of when they were made. Bostonian's Denny Murray (sp?) line was incredible. I think that 1960s LB Sheppards and Nettleton Traditionals are on par with Florsheim Imperials, but both brands cut quality earlier (and more obviously) than Florsheim. I'd argue that Johnston and Murphy Handgrades (up to the early 90s) are (and were) the best quality of shoe made in the US for going back to when the Clapp factory closed in the late 1960s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads