• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love to see these type of commentaries from long-time collectors' experiences.

I am surprise to see how low LB Sheppard and Aristocraft lands on your ranking.

Sir @meister @davidVC Do you have a ranking opinions on the brands you had experiences with (Clapp, Stetson, Florsheim, etc, etc.)?

I think it becomes pretty impossible to rank brands generally if you’re not doing it based on a specific style and era. Even within that, the variation can be vast. The nicest shoe I’ve ever handled is a 1950s Bostonian, but I wouldn’t rank all 1950s Bostonians over all 1950s shoes from another maker. It could be fun to rank based on average quality of that maker, but it’s tough because there were so many differences. That being said, I’m a sucker for pre-1960s Clapps and Stetsons.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Love to see these type of commentaries from long-time collectors' experiences.

I am surprise to see how low LB Sheppard and Aristocraft lands on your ranking.

Sir @meister @davidVC @vestbash Do you have a ranking opinions on the brands you had experiences with (Clapp, Stetson, Florsheim, etc, etc.)?
I have some LB Sheppards, and I would agree with his assessment. They're solid, and better than most modern, but they aren't stand out

vestbash

Reaction score
Also curious about Alden, J&M Aristocraft, Allen Edmonds.

I have seen most iterations of all the shoes you are referencing. Without further defining the parameters of the evaluation its not really possible to create a ranking. To start, you'd really want to define the period and the line/pricepoint.

In terms of current availability, you're probably best served by seeking out 1970s-1980s Florsheim imperials and are readily available in many sizes and still are quite cheap relative to price/quality ratio.

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saturday Saddles. Vintage Allen Edmonds Polo Saddles from 1981. Cashmere Calfskin with Wildebeest Saddles and Foxing. Custom Patina/Restoration by Alberto Suastez.
A5E2FAF5-FFB8-4C6A-85CB-3CB82A728A17.jpeg
852BBE26-6BC5-4D10-8E31-0371392282A1.jpeg

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious, why have you not taken to vintage AE?

My patriotism forces me to buy vintage Canadian brands. Therefore, I am more selective about other vintage shoes. So in the grand scheme of vintage US brands, I prefer anything but AE.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would guess, in part, that his ultra wide foot doesn’t lend itself to AE’s most popular lasts. I would also suspect that he is more of a Barrie last guy than an Aberdeen last guy in Alden.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that

Small consideration. AE does have some lasts that work for my wide stompers.

I also despise cults. The AE cult is pretty annoying and their members blindly buy AE, even the current crap. The facebook AE group is a bunch of koolaid drinking diehards.

Present company excluded.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been checking this pair out. Crack at the heels. As @davidVC would say: it's the beginning of trouble.
I’ll have to look again,I thought I saw the cracking on the brogueing rather than the main body of the heel. That would indicate the crack couldn’t spread very far

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey I only paid ten bucks for them. That's a pretty small admission price for a cult in my book.

As is the case with wives and swimming pools, the initial investment is reasonable, but the upkeep will kill you.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A week or so from now they'll be somebody else's problem. Somebody who wears a size 12 D.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based the on the shoes I’ve handled here’s how I would rank them: Florsheim imperial > Nettleton > Alden > Vintage Allen Edmonds > LB Sheppard and Aristocraft >>> modern Allen Edmonds. This is specifically a ranking of their longwings around the 70s-80s which I think is what you were asking for.
That is precisely how I would rank them,Alden are great shoes,don’t get me wrong,but they have a rather cultish following and resell on eBay for much more than other brands. That said,I agree with @mormonopoly that vintage Florsheim Imperials are top drawer longwings,but importantly I agree with his putting Nettleton (Traditionals) second,ahead of Alden.They have double stitching (like Florsheim) where Alden is single stitched (admittedly hair splitting). Nettleton is underrated among the non-nerd aficionados and often reasonably priced.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics