• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$10 walnut Strands? OK. And a shirt for my youngest son.
01F10487-2725-4D57-81B1-B196C2CBF246.jpeg

And, it’s a girl! My first grandchild; not thrifted.
IMG_3516.jpeg

Last edited:

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a good description:

The aniline leather in the AE catalog probably is Chromexcel. Alden will sometimes refer to Chromexcel as aniline. But not all aniline is Chromexcel.
Thanks. Boy I had that wrong. Another link https://bestleather.org/types-of-leather/aniline/

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$10 walnut Strands? OK. And a shirt for my youngest son. View attachment 1434074
And, it’s a girl! My first grandchild; not thrifted.
View attachment 1434098
When I first saw the baby pic, I thought, "well, he'll grow into it eventually..." Then I noticed that there were some words between the pics and realized the baby was not your youngest son after all... :blush:

Congratulations!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In terms of quality, where do Nettleton and the Hanover LB Sheppard line stand in relation to the Florsheim Imperial line? Were these all in a similar price point/ similar market at the original time of sale?
Also curious about Alden, J&M Aristocraft, Allen Edmonds.

I will start off, but many gents here know a lot more. In my view, any vintage shoes made in US are generally decent. Florsheim, Hanover LB Sheppard, and Nettleton were top of the pile.

Alden is still going strong. JM - only buy the US made ones.

AE - I am not a fan. But it has its supporters. You will find several threads dedicated to AE. @wasmisterfu Is an unapologetic fan and has extensive knowledge of the pairs made during their golden era.

If you ever find Canadian vintage brands like Dacks, Hartt, John McHale or Florsheim made in Canada... grab them.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I first saw the baby pic, I thought, "well, he'll grow into it eventually..." Then I noticed that there were some words between the pics and realized the baby was not your youngest son after all... :blush:

Congratulations!

I was about say something along same lines. Either way, congratulations @CWOyaji !

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a good description:

The aniline leather in the AE catalog probably is Chromexcel. Alden will sometimes refer to Chromexcel as aniline. But not all aniline is Chromexcel.
I have two pairs from AE’s golden era (early 80s to early 90s) with “aniline” in the description: Boulevard and St George (jodhpur boot). I believe the Marlows pictured last are also aniline. The descriptions that I read says that the aniline tanning process allows the natural imperfections of the leather to show through. However, in aniline shoes I have, there are virtually no imperfections; the leather looks near perfect. At any rate, the leather is really nice and needs no waxes. The finish is not at all plastic-like.
FA08D9FA-276F-434F-94FA-0764B683A5EC.jpeg
A22B3671-C74D-4244-BD2D-8FDBBA05FAFC.jpeg
8888211E-56BC-41B4-BC68-D3770E237970.jpeg
499B6168-7486-4221-AB09-E6C6157B0115.jpeg

Last edited:

Reaction score
I will start off, but many gents here know a lot more. In my view, any vintage shoes made in US are generally decent. Florsheim, Hanover LB Sheppard, and Nettleton were top of the pile.

AE - I am not a fan. But it has its supporters. You will find several threads dedicated to AE. @wasmisterfu Is an unapologetic fan and has extensive knowledge of the pairs made during their golden era.

If you ever find Canadian vintage brands like Dacks, Hartt, John McHale or Florsheim made in Canada... grab them.
Fantastic, thank you.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just curious, why have you not taken to vintage AE?

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious, why have you not taken to vintage AE?

I would guess, in part, that his ultra wide foot doesn’t lend itself to AE’s most popular lasts. I would also suspect that he is more of a Barrie last guy than an Aberdeen last guy in Alden.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also curious about Alden, J&M Aristocraft, Allen Edmonds.
Based the on the shoes I’ve handled here’s how I would rank them: Florsheim imperial > Nettleton > Alden > Vintage Allen Edmonds > LB Sheppard and Aristocraft >>> modern Allen Edmonds. This is specifically a ranking of their longwings around the 70s-80s which I think is what you were asking for.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
@Joe Wohkittel Did you relent and bought the NOS Double Vcleat at $575? o_O
1596288993821.png

Seems like the price for NOS Double Vcleat is $450 and up. Here is another one with bidding up to $472.
1596288970735.png

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Based the on the shoes I’ve handled here’s how I would rank them: Florsheim imperial > Nettleton > Alden > Vintage Allen Edmonds > LB Sheppard and Aristocraft >>> modern Allen Edmonds. This is specifically a ranking of their longwings around the 70s-80s which I think is what you were asking for.

Love to see these type of commentaries from long-time collectors' experiences.

I am surprise to see how low LB Sheppard and Aristocraft lands on your ranking.

Sir @meister @davidVC @vestbash Do you have a ranking opinions on the brands you had experiences with (Clapp, Stetson, Florsheim, etc, etc.)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads