• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here’s what I have been able to accomplish so far the American Gentleman LWBs. The left shoe after a wet scrub down with golf bag cleaner, then drying out with trees in them. The right shoe has Saphir Havana Brown Surfine on it. View attachment 1421060
Some Angelus dark brown polish on the toe tips and better lighting: View attachment 1421061 View attachment 1421062 View attachment 1421063
Those are a great looking pair. Although I can’t feel the leather, it looks like the construction is pretty high end. I’m sure that if I looked for a pair they did not make them in triple E

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The quality is good. I had sold these four pairs of size 14 93602s and 97625s that I stumbled on at a St Vincent de Paul, and got tired of waiting for some Florsheims to come along in 13 D. So for $29.99 I decided to take a chance on the American Gentlemans.
2FB0A244-07C0-4DB8-8310-FE51394FB92A_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how old these are, but I’m guessing 70’s vintage. Anybody know? Here’s the tag: View attachment 1421065
American Gentleman shoes were advertized from at least as early as 1910 until the late 70's. I am getting a sense from the very early ads that this was a brand owned and produced by Hamilton-Brown (St. Louis?). They were most often advertized along with American Lady shoes.

This 1980 advert indicates that American Gentleman were either purchased or minimally had a distribution deal with Florsheim . I will peruse the 60's and 70's ads and see what I come up with, but I think your guess is pretty accurate.

aG shoes.JPG

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I had my shoes lined up for the Restoration Challenge: a beat-up, but structurally sound pair of AE Chesters, likely from the 1970s. The seller wants $59 + shipping. I tried to talk him lower, but he is "firm" with this price. He's had them for sale for a least a year. I don't really have a point. I'm just offering up one of those "some people...!" rants.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dyed 93602 from 1973. Ebay score from a few years ago. Not my dye job. Decent overall but I want to get them touched up one of these days.
View attachment 1420428

Nice. I'm also curious to see more of the goods we can glimpse in the background. ;)
Is that your shoe room?

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I had my shoes lined up for the Restoration Challenge: a beat-up, but structurally sound pair of AE Chesters, likely from the 1970s. The seller wants $59 + shipping. I tried to talk him lower, but he is "firm" with this price. He's had them for sale for a least a year. I don't really have a point. I'm just offering up one of those "some people...!" rants.

Yup circa 1977, 1984-Tan Pampa Calf. Those would make a neat pair, restored...
rnyJlO4.jpg

...But these are worth like 30 bucks, max, especially given the 20 dollar shipping cost:
AEHC9pp.jpg

Don’t get me wrong, they have a ton of potential, as they don’t actually have that much wear; they’re on their original soles and heels. But they were also put away wet and without trees, and they haven’t ever seen proper conditioning and care in their entire 43 years.

So yeah “some people...!” is right.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rnyJlO4.jpg

...But these are worth like 30 bucks, max, especially given the 20 dollar shipping cost:
AEHC9pp.jpg

Don’t get me wrong, they have a ton of potential, as they don’t actually have that much wear; they’re on their original soles and heels. But they were also put away wet and without trees, and they haven’t ever seen proper conditioning and care in their entire 43 years.

I had the exact same thought. I offered him $30 shipped. For me, shipping would only be eight dollars since he lives in the Bay Area. I'm sort of mad because I think it would be the perfect shoe for the Restoration Challenge. I guess I could go back and ask if he could do $40. But the terseness of his email about the firmness of this price suggested he's a stubborn seller.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same thought. I offered him $30 shipped. For me, shipping would only be eight dollars since he lives in the Bay Area. I'm sort of mad because I think it would be the perfect shoe for the Restoration Challenge. I guess I could go back and ask if he could do $40. But the terseness of his email about the firmness of this price suggested he's a stubborn seller.
Yeah, some sellers just don’t want to admit they got the price wrong, or engage in the ancient art of negotiation and compromise.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rnyJlO4.jpg

AEHC9pp.jpg

Just in case you need some inspiration, these are some brown Chester's from the 1980s that were posted on page 1 of the vintage thread by @MattRiv. Just awesome looking shoes. I am bummed about the size guide from the catalog. It would explain why I can't ever find any EEE. I guess the only exception are my alligator Chesters which were made in EEE for the original owner.

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 9.10.59 PM.png

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just in case you need some inspiration, these are some brown Chester's from the 1980s that were posted on page 1 of the vintage thread by @MattRiv. Just awesome looking shoes. I am bummed about the size guide from the catalog. It would explain why I can't ever find any EEE. I guess the only exception are my alligator Chesters which were made in EEE for the original owner.

View attachment 1421411
EEE...AAA... What's the difference? There's 3 letters.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American Gentleman shoes were advertized from at least as early as 1910 until the late 70's. I am getting a sense from the very early ads that this was a brand owned and produced by Hamilton-Brown (St. Louis?). They were most often advertized along with American Lady shoes.

This 1980 advert indicates that American Gentleman were either purchased or minimally had a distribution deal with Florsheim . I will peruse the 60's and 70's ads and see what I come up with, but I think your guess is pretty accurate.
They had some elaborate full color ads too. This American Gentleman sitting on a stone wall waving to a couple about to fly away in their own single engine plane seems pretty fanciful.
211EE907-6BC1-422A-82F1-CB038B5AAB14.jpeg

The Country Squire look.
3264FE6C-E79B-4025-B7B1-C17F52F09831.jpeg

People used to dress up in those days.
11E72CD1-223F-44C8-B2C4-1FD5DF76144C.jpeg

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1421411
Stop it! You are making me want to overpay for that ratty pair. Dang. I might just do it! Where are my principles?!

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads