• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Agree totally on black shell; if you want true black go calf. If you want a more dynamic black, almost charcoal grey, go shell.

It's hard to describe but I think you nailed it. Strangely enough I think my pics actually capture the color fairly well despite using my phone since I was lazy. I do see pics of black shell sometimes that look more black to me but I suspect that's either due to the conditions or maybe saturation being dialed up a bit.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1419736
View attachment 1419737
This is my pair of Cordwainer Wright PC where the finishing failed. Restored by Tobias Crislip at Wyatt & Dad in Durham.

Nowadays, I think most PC/CG is produced with very cheap and poor quality leather. That wasn’t the case with these or the Berwick that’s for sure. I have a new found appreciation and understanding of PC via vintage collecting.
Those Cordwainer Wright’s are just fantastic!

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did you win it?
I came in third place in the 2018 Shoe Restoration Challenge, by taking these poor, sad, end-of-like, Polished Cobbler 1984 Allen Edmonds McAllisters...
gKcthrr.jpg

PnqbXgM.jpg

... and removing the sadness:
WYekfK7.jpg

kUSzNVJ.jpg

jdgU7uc.jpg

(Note how the McAllister in 1984 had Cotton Drill linings.)

These shoes were on their third set of soles (one full resole and one badly executed half resole) and had a lot of wear on them. They’re still in my regular rotation - they’re almost to the point of needing their fourth set of soles: I’m considering sending them for a full AE recraft, as they definitely need new welts (I’m pretty sure AE will take them, as the original construction of the shoe is still intact).

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably 2001. Wasn't AE still using the "Handcrafted World of Allen Edmonds" in the early 1990s?

View attachment 1419898
Yup, 2001; besides the insole branding, they slightly modified the upper pattern in 1998 by extending the eyelet tab down to intersect with the wing.

For 1990 and 91, the insoles looked like this:
ayFn4eo.jpg

(My 1990 Manchester’s... literally took the shoe off my foot for the insole photo). They’d dropped the Handcrafted World branding, but kept the horizontal orientation. In 92 they switched to vertical orientation of the logo.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
My nemesis, the one that keeps getting away... The Boulevard, the originator or the 65 (5) last; AE’s other 7 eyelet shortwing Oxford. Extremely awesome, I’ve lost several auctions for excellent examples in my size.

I'd be bidding but there is zero chance I can fit a B width. Cant imagine there are very many nos pairs around anymore but who knows.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be bidding but there is zero chance I can fit a B width. Cant imagine there are very many nos pairs around anymore but who knows.
Yeah, not many. That said, the 65 last is not one to test out how narrow a width you can go for, so unless you’re sure you can pull it off, you’re right to pass.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Yeah, not many. That said, the 65 last is not one to test out how narrow a width you can go for, so unless you’re sure you can pull it off, you’re right to pass.

Hahah, yah not gonna work. I can fit a few 65 sizes but no chance on a B. My ideal size is more like a 9.5EE or 9EEE.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahah, yah not gonna work. I can fit a few 65 sizes but no chance on a B. My ideal size is more like a 9.5EE or 9EEE.
I’m a 13C minimum on the 65. The only exception are my competition shoes above - they’re a 13A that’s been massively stretched out by someone cramming WAY, WAY to big a pair of feet into them. I’m gonna guess it was the second owner, the cotton drill is worn through, with a small hole, by a pinky toe on each side; I can’t imagine how uncomfortable that must of have been, yet to have worn a hole through tough cotton drill means the wearer must have done it many times. I prefer a slightly snug fit, but that’s masochistic. On the plus side, as a result, they fit pretty comfortably, albeit with more lacing gap than I like:
Br9ipoO.jpg

This is how a (not weirdly stretched out 13A) 65 last (13D Nuemok), fits me:

kfNKcwM.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dack’s camel ? skin short wings on a sunset picnic.
8E4C39A9-841F-422E-97EE-42CF53E5A696.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came in third place in the 2018 Shoe Restoration Challenge, by taking these poor, sad, end-of-like, Polished Cobbler 1984 Allen Edmonds McAllisters...
gKcthrr.jpg

PnqbXgM.jpg

... and removing the sadness:
WYekfK7.jpg

kUSzNVJ.jpg

jdgU7uc.jpg

(Note how the McAllister in 1984 had Cotton Drill linings.)

These shoes were on their third set of soles (one full resole and one badly executed half resole) and had a lot of wear on them. They’re still in my regular rotation - they’re almost to the point of needing their fourth set of soles: I’m considering sending them for a full AE recraft, as they definitely need new welts (I’m pretty sure AE will take them, as the original construction of the shoe is still intact).
I showed my wife this post because I told her I was interested in entering this year’s challenge so I can get ****** handed to me by people like @wasmisterfu. She looked at the before and after pix and said, “wow! Those are beautiful. That’s amazing. That’s like Cinderella.” Then I showed her your Tony montaña post and she fell over laughing. You have fans in CA.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I can't remember the rule of thumb about Stacy-Adams labeling. Check these out. Listed as patent leather/leather, but they appear to be some sort of CG leather with ostrich. These are the white label. Worth a shot or get my eyes checked?

Screenshot_20200707-203124_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200707-203145_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200707-203207_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200707-203225_eBay.jpg

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I showed my wife this post because I told her I was interested in entering this year’s challenge so I can get ****** handed to me by people like @wasmisterfu. She looked at the before and after pix and said, “wow! Those are beautiful. That’s amazing. That’s like Cinderella.” Then I showed her your Tony montaña post and she fell over laughing. You have fans in CA.
Why thank you sir. That said, the guy who, IMHO, should have placed ahead of me in that competition was @Shoonoob and his correctobucks. People really didn’t pay enough attention to what he did there: he had uppers that were kinda not fixable in the traditional sense, so he actually morphed them into a totally different shoe and material. Most creative effort by far, and really just an ugly pair of shoes turned into some really cool.

As for my Tony Montana post, just to be clear, I’m not condoning or recommending the trafficking and distribution of illegal narcotics. Shoes yes, illegal narcotics, not so much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads