• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Florsheim Imperial monkstrap chukka boots and white FootJoy saddle Dresswalkers. Neither are my size but I'll throw 'em on eBay and use any winnings for something that fits me.

20200705_153730.jpg

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
In the year or so since I got my pair, I have only seen one other pair of City Clubs on eBay. I think they all fell apart/wore out (same reason you don't see many vintage Thom McAns).
I've seen some very nice Thom McAn shoes. If you go back far enough in time, brands that had gone to pot by 1970 did in fact make nice shoes. Even brands that were not the best in their heyday often made shoes that, by today's standards, are very good quality. This is another pair I saw on ebay years ago, but I didn't save as many pictures. When I started collecting, I saved many pictures from ebay auctions and tracked sale prices to get a sense for the market.

Attachments

• 28ac82d5916677e0092652b122b28665.jpg
    28ac82d5916677e0092652b122b28665.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 24

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA for any 9C brothers. AE Lloyd from their golden era. If these were a tad wider I’d be all over them.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA for any 9C brothers. AE Lloyd from their golden era. If these were a tad wider I’d be all over them.
Those are really nice. The seven eyelet design is sharp. I'm surprised that they're drill lined, though.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vintage City Club monkstraps for the 4th of July weekend. I don't think the materials are all that great quality, and the toe is a little more square than I'd normally tolerate, but I keep coming back to these because they're just stupid comfortable. "12E" View attachment 1418678

This is an example of what they produced when Marilyn Monroe was boosting them...
Marilyn Monroe City Club Ad.jpg
City Club Brogues.jpg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At one time, City Club made fantastic shoes. I saved these pictures from a 2013
ebay auction. They sold fro $200. Had they been my size, I would have bid more. They may have gone downhill earlier than other brands, but the quality here seems quite good.
They’re about 10-15 years earlier than mine. However, there’s wonkiness going on with those shoes. First, just like on mine, the leather is thin; second that’s almost certainly not a blind channel bottom stitch, it’s a 270 welt to the midsole, then the outsole is cemented to the insole. City Club was a volume “discount” brand: they made a shoe that looked good, for less. But the less came at a cost - a shoe that was never quite what it appeared to be (even if they were better a decade or two earlier).

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are really nice. The seven eyelet design is sharp. I'm surprised that they're drill lined, though.
Uhhhhhhhhhh... something bad happened to those 0667 Lloyd’s. I think they got hit with a bunch of brown shoe polish. I have a very low-wear example of the same shoes (same production year), and they should look like this (the color may look a little saturated, but that’s because I took the photo with a sunset coming through the window):

tKDwWSB.jpg

dg3la7R.jpg

q8zIc7O.jpg

Anyhoo, they’re supposed to be a tan pin-grain, not brown.

Edit: AE was still doing drill linings on a lot of shoes up until they went all leather a few years later. Also, this version of the Lloyd was made using the MacGregor pattern pulled over the 97 last. Even though the MacGregor ceased production 6 years earlier, they reused the exact same pattern, stitch for stitch, brogue punch and medallion, including the 7 eyelets.

Last edited:

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uhhhhhhhhhh... something bad happened to those 0667 Lloyd’s. I think they got hit with a bunch of brown shoe polish. I have a very low-wear example of the same shoes (same production year), and they should look like this (the color may look a little saturated, but that’s because I took the photo with a sunset coming through the window):

tKDwWSB.jpg

dg3la7R.jpg

q8zIc7O.jpg

Edit: AE was still doing drill linings on a lot of shoes up until they went all leather a few years later. Also, this version of the Lloyd was made using the MacGregor pattern pulled over the 97 last. Even though the MacGregor ceased production 6 years earlier, they reused the exact same pattern, stitch for stitch, brogue punch and medallion, including the 7 eyelets.
Looks like a job for acetone.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen some very nice Thom McAn shoes. If you go back far enough in time, brands that had gone to pot by 1970 did in fact make nice shoes. Even brands that were not the best in their heyday often made shoes that, by today's standards, are very good quality. This is another pair I saw on ebay years ago, but I didn't save as many pictures. When I started collecting, I saved many pictures from ebay auctions and tracked sale prices to get a sense for the market.
Pictures aren’t the whole story, because many of these brands had excellent execution, but not particarly good material quality. Don’t confuse high-SPI stitching and pretty styling details, with durable quality materials. Brands like Florsheim, 50’s and earlier French Shriner & Urner, Bostonian and other “20 dollar” shoes, have a significant number of survivors, while brands like Thom McAn have virtually none, given they had 10x + production numbers. Also, Thom McAn has a range of shoes that they sold, some good, some not so good (they were among the first to adopt non-leather insoles). Most were built to a price point. Only the top-end examples tend to survive.

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
They’re about 10-15 years earlier than mine. However, there’s wonkiness going on with those shoes. First, just like on mine, the leather is thin; second that’s almost certainly not a blind channel bottom stitch, it’s a 270 welt to the midsole, then the outsole is cemented to the insole. City Club was a volume “discount” brand: they made a shoe that looked good, for less. But the less came at a cost - a shoe that was never quite what it appeared to be (even if they were better a decade or two earlier).
This is very interesting, thank you! I have a pair squirreled away somewhere, but had no idea that their attractiveness was skin deep.

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
Pictures aren’t the whole story, because many of these brands had excellent execution, but not particarly good material quality. Don’t confuse high-SPI stitching and pretty styling details, with durable quality materials. Brands like Florsheim, 50’s and earlier French Shriner & Urner, Bostonian and other “20 dollar” shoes, have a significant number of survivors, while brands like Thom McAn have virtually none, given they had 10x + production numbers. Also, Thom McAn has a range of shoes that they sold, some good, some not so good (they were among the first to adopt non-leather insoles). Most were built to a price point. Only the top-end examples tend to survive.
I agree, almost all the Thom McAn's out their are poorly made and of course there were fashion-oriented brands years ago as their are now. That stated, my experience has been that a 70-year-old fashion-oriented shoe is (generally) a nice shoe by modern production standards. However, my opinion on what constitutes a "nice" shoe no doubt more liberal than that of other folks.

As for how surviving translates into quality, I feel the correlation is far from perfect. A pair of 50s Edwin Clapps would never wear like the 93602, but it is (arguibly) a better shoe. Likewise, my favorite pair of Bally cap-toes wore out long ago, but the pair of Park Avenues I bought around the same time are still solid. My opinion is that the Ballys were a better shoe, but they were built to serve a different purpose.

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
While searching for the pair of City Club shoes I vaguely recall owing, I stumbled across these and figured I'd add them to the recent discussion on AEs. From the 50s or 60s I suppose. I'll have to look through their old catalogs.

Followup: Looks like they are pre ~1962 font change and are in catalogs going back at least to the mid-1950s.

Attachments

• IMG_20200706_004924978.jpg
    IMG_20200706_004924978.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200706_004954732.jpg
    IMG_20200706_004954732.jpg
    443.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200706_005003839.jpg
    IMG_20200706_005003839.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200706_005013429.jpg
    IMG_20200706_005013429.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200706_005023970.jpg
    IMG_20200706_005023970.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While searching for the pair of City Club shoes I vaguely recall owing, I stumbled across these and figured I'd add them to the recent discussion on AEs. From the 50s or 60s I suppose. I'll have to look through their old catalogs.

Followup: Looks like they are pre ~1962 font change and are in catalogs going back at least to the mid-1950s.
Beautiful shoes!

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tKDwWSB.jpg

dg3la7R.jpg

q8zIc7O.jpg

The seller claims that he cleaned all of the all the wax polish off with acetone, cleaned them with saddle soap, and hit them with various Saphir products. I wonder how if he did some sort of patina. Yours are amazing. I want a pair of these. My collection is shortwing deficient. That’s a thing you know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads