• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally that seems to jive; where I’ve seen things get weird though, is the exotic materials, sometimes those numbers have no relation to an existing style.

The other thing that I’ve seen used, with only partial consistency, is a leading prefix before the style code. For example “1 5705”; do you know what these prefix numbers indicate?
Have not seen that before - very interesting. The black calf sku was chosen as default for smu I assume because every pattern was made in black calf at one time or another.

Best guess is the prefix relates to maybe which production line they were made? The production case numbers contain more information including which personnel worked on the shoe I believe but I’m unsure how to translate those codes.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good call. I hadn’t considered the wholesale account specials.

Heres a pair from ‘88 that I have been looking at:

Style number: 0110. No model name, made in 1988. There was no zero last back then so likely another example of these specials?
Those are kinda neat, if you like best-loafers. It’s a store special, but they did have a 0-last (from the fall 88 catalog):

6OvviR6.jpg

INZ8365.jpg

(Sorry for the giant last picture, imgur scaled it weirdly.)

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are kinda neat, if you like best-loafers. It’s a store special, but they did have a 0-last (from the fall 88 catalog):

6OvviR6.jpg

INZ8365.jpg

Very cool. I didn’t know that. The full Brogue short wing tassel is a unique pattern. If they were any other color they’d already be on their way to me. Still might happen...

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good call. I hadn’t considered the wholesale account specials.

Heres a pair from ‘88 that I have been looking at:

Style number: 0110. No model name, made in 1988. There was no zero last back then so likely another example of these specials?

6OvviR6.jpg

INZ8365.jpg

I know late 80s/early 90s models starting with a 0 usually meant MTO. I had a pair of MTO nubuck Sanfords from that era.
But obviously misterfu decoded the last digit. :D

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have not seen that before - very interesting. The black calf sku was chosen as default for smu I assume because every pattern was made in black calf at one time or another.

Best guess is the prefix relates to maybe which production line they were made? The production case numbers contain more information including which personnel worked on the shoe I believe but I’m unsure how to translate those codes.
I don’t think it’s a production line prefix, IMHO. I think it might indicate single customer versus group customer MTO, that sort of thing. I’m only guess though.

One other interesting thing, is 70’s and early 80’s special orders sometimes only had a three digit style code, like these insanely beautiful never worn MacNeils, from 1975, owned by @davidVC :
macneil-5.jpg

JgsUWiE.jpg

They’re clearly labeled MacNeil, but they have no corresponding 1975 catalog listing and the style number is just 957.

happypebble

Reaction score
Vintage City Club monkstraps for the 4th of July weekend. I don't think the materials are all that great quality, and the toe is a little more square than I'd normally tolerate, but I keep coming back to these because they're just stupid comfortable. "12E"
20200705_074019.jpg

Last edited:

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a production line prefix, IMHO. I think it might indicate single customer versus group customer MTO, that sort of thing. I’m only guess though.

One other interesting thing, is 70’s and early 80’s special orders sometimes only had a three digit style code, like these insanely beautiful never worn MacNeils, from 1975, owned by @davidVC :
macneil-5.jpg

JgsUWiE.jpg

They’re clearly labeled MacNeil, but they have no corresponding 1975 catalog listing and the style number is just 957.
These MacNeils are incredible.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this real?!?

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage City Club monkstraps for the 4th of July weekend. I don't think the materials are all that great quality, and the toe is a little more square than I'd normally tolerate, but I keep coming back to these because they're just stupid comfortable. "12E" View attachment 1418678
Well, they’re clearly summer-of-love to disco-era square toe, not 90’s-2000’s pilgrim square toe, as there was absolutely fashion inspiration behind those. So they are kinda retro-chic with that whole monk-strappy thing going on. Not pretty, but kinda cool with jeans.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These MacNeils are incredible.
Yeah, if they were in my size, I’d totally have to burglarize @davidVC’s home. I’d get immediately caught because I’d only take shoes, but I’d stash them somewhere, like an airport locker, like you see in all the heist and spy movies. That way I could retrieve my loot later, after @suitforcourt works a deal to get me a minimal prison sentence. Then they would be mine, all mine.

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if they were in my size, I’d totally have to burglarize @davidVC’s home. I’d get immediately caught because I’d only take shoes, but I’d stash them somewhere, like an airport locker, like you see in all the heist and spy movies. That way I could retrieve my loot later, after @suitforcourt works a deal to get me a minimal prison sentence. Then they would be mine, all mine.
Might be worth the risk lol

happypebble

Reaction score
Well, they’re clearly summer-of-love to disco-era square toe, not 90’s-2000’s pilgrim square toe, as there was absolutely fashion inspiration behind those. So they are kinda retro-chic with that whole monk-strappy thing going on. Not pretty, but kinda cool with jeans.
Agreed. Not the greatest styling ever, but they fit well, and they were just $25 new old stock, never worn, so I can't complain, and they come up in my rotation more than you'd expect since they feel good on my feet. I'd love to be able to get a production date; the original box they came in makes me think early to mid Seventies. Anybody know when the City Club brand disappeared?

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might be worth the risk lol
If they were my size, you’d already have read the strange story of “The Shoe Burglar”, all about how strange obsessive hobbies can lead to extreme behavior.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Not the greatest styling ever, but they fit well, and they were just $25 new old stock, never worn, so I can't complain, and they come up in my rotation more than you'd expect since they feel good on my feet. I'd love to be able to get a production date; the original box they came in makes me think early to mid Seventies. Anybody know when the City Club brand disappeared?
The best (though certainly not well cited) history of the brand, also positions the brand a little too-high on the quality tree, IMHO.

While the brand was popular, especially in the 50’s, it was essentially a “poor-man’s Florsheim”. They looked nice, but they were full of cost-cutting tricks that would later be employed all over the industry. These late 50’s examples were well executed externally, but the 1/2 cost differential between these City-Club’s and their ISC Florsheim brethren we’re achieved largely through material differences and cost-cutting where it wasn’t immediately obvious.
rb5QSDB.jpg

Paperboard insoles, bonded leather lining bits, really shoddy interior work:
kSG4iFL.jpg

Plus, there’s other strangeness, like a fake welt extension (these are 270 welted shoes, with a fake welt extension around the heel to make them look like a 360). Oh, and they’re an early version of PU coated CG, and from what I can tell, the finish chips off easily probably due to age and not having the technology sorted out.

ISC churned out a bazillion of these things during their heyday, yet you rarely see examples, especially examples with wear. I’m pretty sure these things were fully intended to have a limited lifespan.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage City Club monkstraps for the 4th of July weekend. I don't think the materials are all that great quality, and the toe is a little more square than I'd normally tolerate, but I keep coming back to these because they're just stupid comfortable. "12E" View attachment 1418678
I'm just trying to figure out what that background is; it does seem to go with the 70s vibe of the shoes, though... :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads