• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
Thanks, but in most of Canada it’s Canada Day. It’s something else in Quebec and something else again in PEI and Newfoundland, I think.
Suit will probably chime in and let us know exactly what and where.
kilowatts
Eh, they changed Armistice Day to "Veteran's Day" before I was born, but I call it Armistice Day anyways. Likewise, my state relabeled Columbus Day, but it's still Columbus Day. To my America ears, Dominion Day just sounds fantastic. Put up the bunting and God save the Queen!

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other day, I came across these and thought "another black wingtip, poor resole, here's a pair to get rid of". I went to clean them up and saw the elo gates shortwing and notch in the broguing and thought (hmm, this is unique and definitely why I bought them). Then I searched catalogs for the style (Baltic) which I failed to locate and eventually learned was a special makeup of some sort (style number starts with 0). Now I don't want to sell them even though I have no use for them and will never wear them. I am a hoarder ?.
Meaning that they were only produced for a few years?

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hanover for Bostonian PTBs that a bro from the thrift thread tipped me off to.
142B2272-8F7A-4330-8E15-146A59C6939A_1_201_a.jpeg

First time ever using Poshmark, on my birthday no less.
040B2D3A-FF20-438D-B58B-4B5E889C32FD_4_5005_c.jpeg
8B2BC7B5-164E-408D-88B2-C982FE8230E3_1_201_a.jpeg

All the size markings were rubbed off, but they turned out to be a glorious 13 D just like the listing promised. And no cracks, just some chipping along the topline that I smoothed out with nail polish.
98C3686E-0EA9-4180-996E-04FF52B1D446_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other day, I came across these and thought "another black wingtip, poor resole, here's a pair to get rid of". I went to clean them up and saw the elo gates shortwing and notch in the broguing and thought (hmm, this is unique and definitely why I bought them). Then I searched catalogs for the style (Baltic) which I failed to locate and eventually learned was a special makeup of some sort (style number starts with 0). Now I don't want to sell them even though I have no use for them and will never wear them. I am a hoarder ?.
Great pattern! Probably a one off for a tent sale or Black Friday sale.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's happening to me? Half the shoes I have don't even fit me. I think ya'll are a bad influence. Have a good 4th!:p
So that’s one rule I don’t violate, or things would come completely unglued in my household: every pair I own can be worn (even if I never actually wear them).

If I started buying shoes that weren’t my size... oh man, I shudder to think what would happen.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So that’s one rule I don’t violate, or things would come completely unglued in my household: every pair I own can be worn (even if I never actually wear them).

If I started buying shoes that weren’t my size... oh man, I shudder to think what would happen.

Good rule. I have same one.

But unlike you, I do cull the herd to make way for new pairs. A cull is coming up, so the shoes will be posted on Etsy and Ebay. Consigned through @mariusscott

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah, but a good deal is a good deal, imo. I get them back out the door and it gives me my 'shoe fund' for the ones that will fit me ;) Because if I were buying for me out of the house funds, then things would come unglued here. Started a pool and just turning it over.....

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't worn a pair but I think the sole is cemented on.

The heel has been replaced. The original was a rubber and leather toplift.
Yeah, I have a pair (featured last week as part of the whole Congo-dandy discussion) of patent Florsheim’s that are the same cemented style construction. From what I can tell, the upper pattern is still assembled the same way, but instead of stitching it to the gemming to form up a completed rib, it’s just glued to the insole, and then the outsole is glued on top of that. So you have a pretty nicely constructed upper, that’s just cemented to the insole and to the outsole. No welt, no gemming (certainly no hand-welting holdfast or the like), just a bunch of cement.

I base this off of disassembling a similarly constructed pair of “expensive” Italian shoes, that a friend brought me for evaluation (to see if it they were worth fixing, which they weren’t). Just like the Florsheim’s, these things had a super thin sole, though these attempted to look more substantial (as is the trend nowadays) by having a fake vinyl welt. Basically, though, it’s the same construction.

HMNr7bX.jpg

I’m sure a Steve from Bedo’s could resole these, but they’re just so “disposable” in nature, why bother.

HalfHuskyBite

Reaction score
I bought this stuff five years ago and never used it because the warnings were so dire. First warning: "Causes substantial but temporary eye injury". It also says to wash "contaminated" clothing if you get it on yourself. But apparently it's okay for your shoes.

I believe this is the same stuff they use in bowling alleys on the rental shoes.
Thanks to you I bought the UV shoe sanitizer tool.
I still use Lysol and then UV treatment on my shoes.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
0 prefix style numbers generally indicate a store special, non-catalog shoe (which the Baltic was, like the Lloyd and oxford Clifton) AE store specials were pretty prolific during the 80’s and 90’s, as AE was doing store specials for places like Nordstrom’s.

MTO’s, however, tend to have very strange style codes - more often than not, they’d carry a catalog number that doesn’t match the shoe (but might be close) with an additional prefix, or they have a partially random code.

Here’s another nice example of the Baltic:
a8N7FMe.jpg

This is my personal favorite store special, the oxford, 7 (97) last Clifton in black custom calf:
S7bKjnH.jpg

P4hE7hO.jpg

SltlnLj.jpg

This is the nicer of the two pair that I have; I’ve been trying to find the Antique Burgundy version, in my size, for years. It might look like a Strand without a medallion, but on my feet, it’s a sleeker, more interesting shape (while similar, it’s actually a different pattern, not just the Strand pulled over a different last).

Anyway, chasing store specials can become quite a weird obsession. I spend a fairly unreasonable amount of time trying to find this Clifton, sorting through all the later 108 last derby Clifton’s on the Bay.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great pattern! Probably a one off for a tent sale or Black Friday sale.
They were a store special. There are three examples for sale on the Bay right now.

YJvVdAJ.jpg

They had consistent numbering (e.g. both listed black cashmere calf examples are 0214). They were all built on the 4 (674) last, best known for it’s use on the Polo through 1990.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
They were a store special. There are three examples for sale on the Bay right now.

YJvVdAJ.jpg

They had consistent numbering (e.g. both listed black cashmere calf examples are 0214). They were all built on the 4 (674) last, best known for it’s use on the Polo through 1990.

Would you mind sharing some thoughts on how the 4 last fits? Eyeing that 10D pair although the soles look a bit worn.

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
0 prefix style numbers generally indicate a store special, non-catalog shoe (which the Baltic was, like the Lloyd and oxford Clifton) AE store specials were pretty prolific during the 80’s and 90’s, as AE was doing store specials for places like Nordstrom’s.

MTO’s, however, tend to have very strange style codes - more often than not, they’d carry a catalog number that doesn’t match the shoe (but might be close) with an additional prefix, or they have a partially random code.

Here’s another nice example of the Baltic:
a8N7FMe.jpg

This is my personal favorite store special, the oxford, 7 (97) last Clifton in black custom calf:
S7bKjnH.jpg

P4hE7hO.jpg

SltlnLj.jpg

This is the nicer of the two pair that I have; I’ve been trying to find the Antique Burgundy version, in my size, for years. It might look like a Strand without a medallion, but on my feet, it’s a sleeker, more interesting shape (while similar, it’s actually a different pattern, not just the Strand pulled over a different last).

Anyway, chasing store specials can become quite a weird obsession. I spend a fairly unreasonable amount of time trying to find this Clifton, sorting through all the later 108 last derby Clifton’s on the Bay.
This is all very interesting, thank you!

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Househunting today with Mrs. Oyaji, we stumbled on one with an attic playroom that had near-infinite shoe collection display potential. It didn't make the cut due to minor issues like being near a noisy freeway. #SAD!
E41CD6C4-48D2-4121-A5FB-CE30674B591C_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads