• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I only use it on REALLY suspect shoes that have that “basement mold” smell. I’ve only had two pair with that issue, both were 25 dollar bargain hunts.

Normally I wipe the interior thoroughly with isopropyl, followed by a leather conditioner. But sometimes you need to nuke the site from orbit, as it’s the only way to be sure.

(Edit: I added the “Do Not Huff”... you know, in case anyone here was tempted.)

Yah I had a pair like that... I cleaned them up pretty well but they kinda freaked me out anyway. Now I just avoid ones that look that sketchy. :)

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
AE was already in trouble pre-pandemic but this period will certainly not help matters.

I think the time for them to double down on MiUSA and raising the bar on quality has long since passed but I certainly could be wrong. They have already stripped down every aspect of the shoe from components to the grade of leathers. Not sure it’s possible to turn back now.
I understand that the inflation rates posted by the government are b.s. That stated, I don't understand why shoe prices have risen so dramatically over time while quality has tanked. The further back you go in time, the more discrepancy exists. In the case of AE, when I started selling them in the late 1990s, they were $265 and you got a lot better shoe then their Independence line today. I'll have to find a box flyer from this era. Just about all the quality points that made AE shoes great are no longer part of their shoes. Now they never went on sale back then, so that's part of why the markup is higher today. Still, after all their quality cuts, why does shoe that's (at best) 1/2 the quality cost twice as much? I don't get it.

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
Question 2: what's up with shell and cracking? Is shell overly prone to crack? (I don't have a pair in shell, so no experience with it) There seems to be a lot of cracking going on in this thread, but much less so with calf.

In addition to what everyone else has said, when you buy vintage shell, pay attention to which part of the country they are coming from. Obviously as they are bought and sold they move around, but I've notice the pairs bought from sellers in dry climates (Texas, Arizona, and Palm Springs CA all come to mind), dry rot is much more common, especially with shell. It makes intuitive sense that leather in these climates, if not cared for, will dry out, but it's not something most buyers take into consideration!

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Blue Lwb today.
0703201759.jpg

happypebble

Reaction score
In addition to what everyone else has said, when you buy vintage shell, pay attention to which part of the country they are coming from. Obviously as they are bought and sold they move around, but I've notice the pairs bought from sellers in dry climates (Texas, Arizona, and Palm Springs CA all come to mind), dry rot is much more common, especially with shell. It makes intuitive sense that leather in these climates, if not cared for, will dry out, but it's not something most buyers take into consideration!
Sounds like buying vintage shell is too much of a crapshoot...I may have to just bite the bullet and buy a new pair.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like buying vintage shell is too much of a crapshoot...I may have to just bite the bullet and buy a new pair.
Not really, just make sure the listing has reasonable pictures and you put some time into hydrating the shoes before you wear them (@davidVC has some excellent walkthroughs on his vcleat.com site).

vestbash

Reaction score

I would be happy to evaluate any pair you're looking at. It helps if you buy a pair from someone that is willing to provide additional good quality photos. The more information you have the better.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought this stuff five years ago and never used it because the warnings were so dire. First warning: "Causes substantial but temporary eye injury". It also says to wash "contaminated" clothing if you get it on yourself. But apparently it's okay for your shoes.

I believe this is the same stuff they use in bowling alleys on the rental shoes.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought this stuff five years ago and never used it because the warnings were so dire. First warning: "Causes substantial but temporary eye injury". It also says to wash "contaminated" clothing if you get it on yourself. But apparently it's okay for your shoes.

I believe this is the same stuff they use in bowling alleys on the rental shoes.
When I started collecting unused this stuff. My feet burned a little after the first wear. Seems fine, right?

Now I just use Lysol wipes.

I’ve had a couple of musty, grandpas basement smelling shoes. A few hours in the CA sun does wonders to kill the smell. Incidentally, the sun can get rid of stains in white shirts too.

Last edited:

Hotel Cali

Reaction score

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a rare NOS Florsheim half brogue balmoral. Is this a good quality as the LWB?

View attachment 1417977

Is the heel original?

View attachment 1417978
I haven't worn a pair but I think the sole is cemented on.

The heel has been replaced. The original was a rubber and leather toplift.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only use it on REALLY suspect shoes that have that “basement mold” smell. I’ve only had two pair with that issue, both were 25 dollar bargain hunts.

Normally I wipe the interior thoroughly with isopropyl, followed by a leather conditioner. But sometimes you need to nuke the site from orbit, as it’s the only way to be sure.

(Edit: I added the “Do Not Huff”... you know, in case anyone here was tempted.)

Cancer-in-a-can is my go to for all shoes. I keep a can by the back door, so I can step outside and spray new arrivals.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
I haven't worn a pair but I think the sole is cemented on.

The heel has been replaced. The original was a rubber and leather toplift.

Ah thanks. I was guessing it was cement from similar soles of other Florsheims. And the heel look clean but different. And the leather looks thin similar to this catch and release I had.

Attachments

• 0830191214.jpg
    0830191214.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 0830191214d.jpg
    0830191214d.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 32

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The info at vcleat.com states this is a 1980s model made of Bourbon Cortez leather. The date code would be for 1983. Be sure to check out vcleat.com as @davidVC has a wealth of information there. What is Cortez leather? David says, "Not sure what that is but it might be top grain leather."
I picked them up for $25. Just to experiment and look them over. You know, before I try for the 9xxxx models. ;)

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I started collecting unused this stuff. My feet burned a little after the first wear. Seems fine, right?

Now I just use Lysol wipes.

I’ve had a couple of musty, grandpas basement smelling shoes. A few hours in the CA sun does wonders to kill the smell. Incidentally, the sun can get rid of stains in white ***** too.

White shirts?

If white ****, I am very concerned for you. I can refer a lawyer to draft your will.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads