• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
993 is still dead sexy.

Damn straight!!

Porsche-911-993-Turbo-schwarz-TJS-German-Sports-Cars-1-Kopie-2000x1218.jpg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe. There's not really anything stopping them from going more upscale. I just think they are in no mans land at the moment. Who is buying $400 mainline AE at this point? I'm not. Who's buying their imported shoes for whatever -- $300ish. Not me. I'll buy their shell deeply discounted but that's about it. I actually think AE still represents decent value if you factor in the the store presence and size selection. But at least for me, at retail, there isn't enough value in the product or, frankly, interesting designs for me to make a purchase. AE reminds me a lot of the US car companies. Too much baggage, product isn't focused enough or compelling enough with a handful of exceptional models that get lost among a lot of very mediocre product.

By the way, as an aside, AE seems to be in the midst of getting rid of the Independence line... so I probably have no idea what I am talking about.
Yeah, but the single most active thread on SF is the AE thread. There are still a lot of weirdo’s (that are in no way anything like the stable-geniuses of this thread), who are buying AE’s. They also still make a lot of nice (miUSA) shoes, are doing seasonal color releases. Hell, I’m seriously considering getting a new pair of Strands.

That said, I think they need to bring back MTO, the Broadstreet, Polo (on the 511), rethink cancelling MacNeil (for the second time in 5 years) and really do some more interesting things. Current management clearly lacks imagination, which is a problem.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

I’m not a size 10 unfortunately but a true rarity here.

I have to admit I glossed over those when I saw them earlier. They're my size but seems spendy. Must say the medallion is very nice. Are they really that much nicer than 93602s?

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to admit I glossed over those when I saw them earlier. They're my size but seems spendy. Must say the medallion is very nice. Are they really that much nicer than 93602s?
Uhhh, calling @davidVC to verify, but I don’t think they were considered “3 notches” higher than the 93602s, I think they were just a different last. Construction is, I believe, exactly the same. Cashmere grain calf is nice, but nothing super-special and Florsheim used it on a whole bunch of stuff (as did a bunch of other companies).

Very nice shoes, but I think very over-priced. With a lot less wear, I might feel differently.

That said @davidVC may end up telling us that we should have immediately bought those before a hedgefund manager picked them as an alternative investment, and that we just blew our opportunity at independent wealth.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Uhhh, calling @davidVC to verify, but I don’t think they were considered “3 notches” higher than the 93602s, I think they were just a different last. Construction is, I believe, exactly the same. Cashmere grain calf is nice, but nothing super-special and Florsheim used it on a whole bunch of stuff (as did a bunch of other companies).

Very nice shoes, but I think very over-priced. With a lot less wear, I might feel differently.

That said @davidVC may end up telling us that we should have immediately bought those before a hedgefund manager picked them as an alternative investment, and that we just blew our opportunity at independent wealth.

FWIW, they are being sold by the same guy that has the (admittedly gorgeous) pair of $1,800 93605s. So I suspect that we are in agreement that the ask may be slightly ambitious.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, they are being sold by the same guy that has the (admittedly gorgeous) pair of $1,800 93605s. So I suspect that we are in agreement that the ask may be slightly ambitious.
Oh, it’s one of those “yes dear, I’m definitely selling this pair for a large profit... I’ll have them out of your closet soon” listings. Got it.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Oh, it’s one of those “yes dear, I’m definitely selling this pair for a large profit... I’ll have them out of your closet soon” listings. Got it.

No, actually I think he is flipper hopping for a windfall. He's a member of the facebook vintage group IIRC.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No one on the street will know the difference between a 93602 and a Concord. But the Concord is a better shoe.

That pair is overpriced given its condition. Looks like it has some stains on the upper. The heel leather has some gaps around the nails so it's likely disintegrating and needs to be replaced. The soles are heavily worn.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to his history, he's sold a few pairs. . .

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, actually I think he is flipper hopping for a windfall. He's a member of the facebook vintage group IIRC.

And they're sold!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads